SAU Community

Push For More Points Rather Than Larger Fines

Skylin3r1982

Being the responsible parent that I am, I attend lots of PTA meetings at my sons school. We had a police officer there mentioning that there is a huge push through parliament to get 'double demerits' essentially made permanent, especially around school zones.

Anyone else heard any rumblings of this?

Yeh I've heard they are trying to increase the minimum speeding fine from $70 (0-9 km/h over) to $150. i.e. double demerit style fines, normally...

Yes it's a bit outrageous, but the idea is that you shouldn't have anything to worry about if you're not breaking the law...

The way i look at it, the po po and the government are approaching road safety the wrong way. We need better driver training and education, rather than just bigger punishments. But with the amount of revenue that the fines bring in every year, of course the gov'mnt are trying to raise them!

My $0.02...

Thats stupid, it happens to everyone where you don't look at your speedo for awhile and the next time you look you are going 5kms over, im sure as hell not paying $150 for 5kms over the limit

I love it how out of touch the government is when it comes to any issue to do with roads :O It's really fantastic :P I can't wait to lose my license for 3 fines of 9-19kph over :) Go Aussie Go :)

0-9km over is an honest and regular mistake, driver training and education is the key to road safety

implement a system like japans instead of handing out licenses like junk mail and you wont have so many retards on the road

I agree to increasing the fines in the school zones.

I live across the road from my kid's school and the amount of dickheads who go screaming past while the 40km/h zone is in effect is ridiculous. Being a parent of young children I want to see my kids get home safe and as I only live across the street my need to worry about them crossing the road is pathetic.

It's gotten to the point where I have to wait outside after the siren has sounded to help my 8 year old across the street. There have been many instances where I have seen someone come screaming up the road so I now step in front of the car and cause them to come to a screeching halt. What bothers me the most is that 90% of the time, it's some stupid woman who has just picked up her kid(s). I abuse the crap out of them and most times they mouth off back and don't care.

I have been to see the cops about it but they say that there's nothing they can do. I called about having a multanova placed on the road to catch these idiots out and to date nothing has happened.

Many so called "hoon cars" such as V8's and imports come past doing the speed limit while the school zone speed limit is in effect, but these stupid women can't.

If you were to call the police and say that a Skyline is screaming around the school zone the cops would be there in a heartbeat.

Because the police don't care about what's happening in front of my house, I will continue to step out in front of these potential murderers until something is done.

0-9km over is an honest and regular mistake, driver training and education is the key to road safety

implement a system like japans instead of handing out licenses like junk mail and you wont have so many retards on the road

True?? Just wondering (not to go too far OT). Wat is the Japanese system like?? Say, in comparison to ours, and more stringent ones, like Germany or Finland???

13 yrs on same license , dont care they can increase the $ n double up the points :O

As much as Distrbd and myself don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything, I agree wholeheartedly with this. I've had mine for 12 years and havn't lost it once. It all comes down to how you drive as to whether or not you are going to get caught. Sure the coppers will give you troubles in the meantime when you aren't speeding, comes with the territory of owning an import, but you're responsible for your OWN points, not someone sitting in an office making it harder for the people who do speed willingly and the like.

Man up, shut up, and don't speed if you want to keep your license, pretty simple really.

I wouldnt mind seeing this enforced in school zones, especially at primary schools. Interestingly I have noticed that in my local areas at least it seems to be alot of mothers particularly in large expensive SUV's/4wds like prado's, X5's, H3's and rangerover's that disobey the school zone limits most frequently, usually doing the full 70kmph through them. Whereas even the most fully sick wrx's and skylines seem to atleast slow down to within 5-10kms of the limit

28 years with a clean license i dont care if they double the demerits but i recon they should triple the fines

hurt the pocket more might make f**kwits slow down at last

Definitely agreed about the school zones, people speeding through there is ridiculous. Not only do most people not go the 40kms, they go faster than what the speed limit is outside school zone hours.

I also agree with doubling demerits and fines, but i think that should be done over a certain amount, namely 9+kms over. I understand they have to draw the line on how far over you can go somewhere, but i think a $150 fine for 5kms over is stupid. There should be a warning system in place, where say if you get caught going 5kms over, you get 2-3 warnings before you are fined. Going 5kms over the speed limit is an everyday occurrence, and i bet if double demerits came into place permanently for that, then i bet all you guys saying you have kept your license for however many years would suddenly start to see the demerits piling up.

I just finished my probationary period on my license yesterday, having received one speeding fine for 4kms over the limit. Not happy about paying $75 for that

Getting more medieval on speeders goes down well in the court of public opinion which is fueled by the reporting style of the media.

Doubt it 'save lives' though?

But the politicians and police love being able to 'please' the public in this way. They don't have to do anything difficult except make edicts; install this speed cameras here or there, give everyone deouble-demerits etc. "Wow now we look proactive and decisitive...fighting the good fight". :cool:

Too true ^

Its been said numerous times in this thread already, the key to saving lives doesn't lie in harsher punishment, but in better training.

Germany has the Autobahn, where the only deaths and injuries are caused by tourists who don't know the rules. The training over there is really strict, where as here it simply appears strict. They grow up with the right attitude from the start instead of needing to lose their license a couple of times before they realize they are doing something wrong.

it does nothing, I have clients with thousands in unpaid fines and who drive under suspension constantly.

Some people are idiots and will drive regardless, and you find they are the people who own $500 cars and are on centrelink. All they do is setup centrepay to pay off fines through their dole payments at $25 a week and not pick up the confiscated car. Jail is even shrugged at.

There's just no way to stop those people but I find they are the most dangerous road users. Police should continue to target repeat offenders of extreme driving (reckless driving) and people who drive under suspension. In my years I've not met a performance car enthusiast with such a bad record, a bogan or 10 yes, but not a skyline owner.