SAU Community

R32 Gtr Clutch Fan

NSNPWR

So as above...my 32 GTRs Clutch Fan is always on...not only does it sound sh1t but it feels like the car has an engine brake on all the time...it must be robbing it of power big time!

So, im interested to know what people have done to overcome this...a new clutch fan is $400 give or take...are any of the other RB series engine fans interchangable???

I was thinkin of going AU thermos, has anyone fitted these to a 32 GTR??? Results?

Throw me some options people.

Cheers.

Sounds like your factory one has seized, so just replace it.

You'll never get the same cooling as a clutch fan, thermo's IMO are pointless for a street car.

If you can't justify $400 on proper and effective cooling for your GTR... you should probably sell it. A $400 part is the least of your worries

Not an issue of justifying proper effective cooling, these are not $100k cars anymore...$400 is $400...if I can get an identical result for $300 then im going with that option, make sense?

As with most things NISSAN being interchangable, I am curious to know whether something like an RB30 fan is similar, if so, its probably cheaper new as it doesnt carry the GTR 'lets jack up the price' stigma....

most of the nissan ones are interchangeable. the height vary;s tho. RB30 ones are much shorter then say an RB20 one, so best bet is to take yours out and go match it up with a new one.

FWIW i run a RB30 R31 clutch hub with rb25 fan on my neo motor and bought the hub new for 80 bucks from motor traders

Thermo fans without shrouding to match your radiator will almost certainly perform less well than a mechanical driven fan.

The thermo-clutch fan is pretty basic in operation. Have you taken it off and inspected it? It may just be a case that there is some crap stopping the bimetallic strip from releasing when it cools down.

rb30 fans are a direct fit to the rb26 hub, they are bigger as well, so more cooling!

no, 30 fans make more noise but dont flow more. they flow the least air and make the most noise of all RB fans. as said just find another RB hub, make sure it mounts in the same spot and bolt it up

Cool, thanks mate, ive just been out and pulled the fan off, metallic strip looks fine but fan is very hard to turn, its not totally siezed but I imagine it should be a lot more free spinning than what it is...thing was seized on the water pump snout real good too!....

Edited by NSNPWR

Ok, what ive discovered so far....

The RB30 hub does not accommodate the 26 fan, the 30 hub is smaller and the bolts do not line up...even if it did fit see below...

The RB30 hub assembly has a shorter snout on it meaning the fan sits closer to the motor, as a result, the fan blades foul on the top radiator hose...

So, what I need is a hub that has a longer snout on it...would like to see pics of RB20 or 25....might even call Nissan tomorrow and price up a 26 hub...Lol...

Any gurus know if its possible for the fan to lock up only once its hot???

Edited by NSNPWR

its supposed to only lock when hot, thats how a clutch fan works

I know but as (I think) was stated above and confirmed by my mechanic, theyre designed to slip after a certain rpm even when hot....theyre not designed to spin with the engine at 8000 rpm....

the RB30 hub has same bolt bolt pattern on both the water pump side and the fan side as RB20/25 so if that doesnt fit then neither will 20/25 one.

Cheers, good to know but its only the length of the shaft/snout that prevented me from using the RB30 fan and hub assembly...I found some 2nd hand 26 hub assemblies on Ebay for $200+ delivered! No guarantee they'll be any better than mine.

Edited by NSNPWR

Never really understood why you would choose thermo's. All that extra wiring, relays installation sounds like a big pain in the bum. Especially if you get 0 or marginal improvement.

well there are lots of reasons why...

they are lighter and thinner

they allow more engine bay room for intercooler piping, thicker radiator, etc

they can be fitted in front or behind the radiator, or you can have a v-mount arrangment

they do not rob the engine of hp

they do not affect the centrifugal force of the engine (if you have modified the blades to clear piping, it be putting uneven strain on the water pump shaft)

they will not get thrown off when your waterpump shaft snaps (see above), totalling your radiator, denting your bonnet, smashing the fan blades

they only come on when needed

they can be running while your car is off and in the pits cooling down

they look neater

they can be made one with the radiator.. removal is as easy as disconnecting the wires and removing the whole get up.

the wiring is not difficult at all

they give you one extra gizzmo to play with if you get a fan controller

you think that installing relays and wiring is a pain... i think constantly undoing the engine fan to get the radiator and shroud out, water pump, timing cover etc. is a massive pain in the knuckles and forearms.. not to mention rounding off the 10mm nuts that have to be done up tight so the fan doesnt fly off, or bending the 6mm studs by levering against them to undo the tight 10mm nuts.

to say that thermo fans do not work as effective as the engine fan is a bit ridiculous.. 70% of the cars these days use thermofans.. all fwds do, wrxs, evos, commodores, falcons, lots of euro cars do etc.. they work just as good at cooling as any engine fan.. without the power robbing.

i have a very good complete fan with good clutch pm me if you want it.. i will be going the thermo route for the reasons above.

cheers

Linton