SAU Community

Burning Smell

TMW-R34

Hi guys.

Was at a party last night and when i left, my mate told me to smoke it up a bit....so i did.

Revved till about 3-4 then dropped the clutch. Went up and hit the limiter and moved forward about 30 metres.

Didnt feel right so i reversed back and asked my mate if my wheels spun at all, and they didnt.

Got a rank smell in the car which was there for about 15 minutes. Wasnt tires or brakes, hadnt come across this smell before.

when i got home, i lifted the bonnet but there was no smell from there. Went around to the tires and the back passenger side stunk of this smell.

Im not sure if its my clutch, as it was fully disengaged when i "tried" to smoke it up.

Any ideas what it is or what it could be?? Not sure if i should be worried. :down:

Thanks guys.

Yep sounds like clutch. Dont be surprised if it starts to slip when you hit boost.

Im not sure if its my clutch, as it was fully disengaged when i "tried" to smoke it up.

Not sure what you mean but that, you engage the clutch to drive the rear wheels. Your problem will be that its slipping when engaged.

yeah stock clutch is pretty good for normal driving

as soon as you wind it up or get on the burnouts in 2nd gear / clutch dumps = dont even bother

go for a single plate heavy duty

should be sub $1200 fitted and supplied

lol. Your clutch is rooted.

Do you have a Vent to atmosphere BOV? That could also be the problem. Put the factory plumback on, and it will help. Puts less load on the clutch.

Edited by The Mafia

Dump it harder...

More rev's and side step it, if your fairly violent with it, it'll break the initial traction and not really have time to slip.

Unless your running semis or something special :down:

Also, don't sit on the brake and dump it. Drop it, get it spinning and then apply as little brake as possible for desired effect.

Edited by Finchy33

Lol, i did something like this too. Was trying to see some stats from a mates iPhone Dyno program. Revved it to 4-5k RPM, let the clutch out, wheels spun a bit, caught and then no power with the yummy burning clutch smell. Around 260rwkw, with stock clutch - i think its stock anyway, shall find out next week.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Although you have all given me upsetting news lol.

How much is it roughly to install a new clutch??

Im in Perth, probably buy one off just jap.

lol. Your clutch is rooted.

Do you have a Vent to atmosphere BOV? That could also be the problem. Put the factory plumback on, and it will help. Puts less load on the clutch.

Yeah the stock blow off valve is on.