SAU Community

P-platers Face Ban On Driving Powerful Cars

08yannch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Almost one in 12 fatal crashes in WA last year involved a P-plate driver, according to the Office of Road Safety."

How many drive "high powered cars"??? (Is that stat even that bad?)

Damn misleading rubbish article. "Police Minister Rob Johnson said the research was being done on behalf of the Road Safety Council and he would consider the findings upon completion." I hope this means 1.5 years cause then I'll be off P plates....

I hope they give out permits for the P platers who already own high performance cars.... If not, I'll go ape. :P

Just for lols, the pic in the article shows some old crappy hyundai, by which all accounts, has a twin turbo V12 under the bonnet and an incorrect P plate thats displayed in the rear window...

Edited by Ten Four

well im going 2 be of P's in 2 months so this dont really affect me.

but i dont like the idea of something like this becoming a law. i drive a GTST and i have been a responsible driver no hooning or anything stupid. and i know people that drive ford focus, Mitsubisi Lanser, and old holden V6 bombs that do like 90 in 60 zones do burnout's and all that shit. im the only person i know with a nice car :P

well what im trying 2 say is that i think that putting a power restriction on cars will not stop anything. in the past there were no power restrictions so why should there be now.

some good alternatives could be a more comprehensive driver education system, and more police on the roads to keep bad drivers off

i started this because it has been a while sins anybody has put anything up on the wasteland :P

Yeah fair point. Some people are hoons no matter what they drive.... Just more unsafe doing it in a low powered car, ie suspension, brakes. But no doubt this topic has been discussed and covered many times before.

If I was on my P plates I would be raging right now.

But since I'm not. Do it. Less newbs posting on performance sites about getting a yellow sticker. And less chance of kids racing their fag friends into a tree, killing 16 year old girlfriends.

Sure, even kids in a little 4 cyl Corrola will race. But I'm sure they're going to get bored and stop racing after 20 seconds when they've finally hit 80kph and not 200kph in a V8. Things are going to happen faster in a performance car, and your driving experience is going to help you not fail when shit hits the fan.

P plater can drive old out dated car with no safety features that has potential to be a weapon with mods yet they can not drive a new model camry with bulk safety features including SRS n ABS :cheers:

Gotta say i agree with Ryan :thumbsup:

plus p-platers should be driving run down pieces of crap around like i had to :ermm:

Sure, even kids in a little 4 cyl Corrola will race. But I'm sure they're going to get bored and stop racing after 20 seconds when they've finally hit 80kph and not 200kph in a V8.

I agree with that too.

Yes you can TRY to floor it around in your old bunky, but really, its not going to do anything like the HPV will.

But yeah James, i know not all P-platers are d***heads, but unfortunately it only takes a small minority to ruin it for everyone.

But this little law could help, it prob wont solve the problem, but it could help.

It may be OK if the popo/govt., channel the fines from P platers into some sort of compulsory advanced driver training for P platers so that they (Pp's) have a chance of gaining driver skills suitable on eligibility to the so-called HPV arena. Positive feedback, pro-active policing, along the lines of the "Bluelite Disco" scene, or Police & Citizens Youth Club (for drivers), call it what you like.

At the moment it's all negative (seems to me) for P platers. Launching them with a liscense, curfews & labels & any vehicle on the road just cos they can is & should not be the point where the authorities wipe their hands of further skills training & start fining people.

My 2c

GW

If I was on my P plates I would be raging right now.

But since I'm not. Do it. Less newbs posting on performance sites about getting a yellow sticker. And less chance of kids racing their fag friends into a tree, killing 16 year old girlfriends.

Sure, even kids in a little 4 cyl Corrola will race. But I'm sure they're going to get bored and stop racing after 20 seconds when they've finally hit 80kph and not 200kph in a V8. Things are going to happen faster in a performance car, and your driving experience is going to help you not fail when shit hits the fan.

f**k that off, i worked and saved for 6 months straight so when the time came when i got my P's i had a nice car, sure it's turbo'd but i didnt buy it because of that, it looked good drove well and i worked hard for it, same goes for even hsv owners, they worked hard to get their v8 commonbomb but its that sense of entitlement i was looking for, not the power otherwise i would have brought a shitty shell with an engine and slammed a highmount on it with the money i had.

my 2c

not every P Plater is a hoon

Even less own a high-performance car

The proportion of P platers that do own HPV's I would think is significantly greater than when I was a P plater.

My opinion is that all P platers should have to do their time in bunky RWD corollas and geminis!

But yes, more training/education as opposed to more restrictions. Maybe bring in the kw/tonne rule but allow P platers to drive cars above the cutoff if they complete adequate advanced training courses. This should probably be the case for EVERYONE.

Edited by bubba

f**k that off, i worked and saved for 6 months straight so when the time came when i got my P's i had a nice car, blah blah....

Well just keep saving and you can afford to spend more when you come off your restriction.

Frak all the nonsense, Rule that p platers can't drive any car with an over a 1300 donk, no turbos no performance, no modin, no DUI, no traffic offences, no frak all anything you little p plate toads, at the end of two years providing you've still got a licence and you're still alive drive what the frak you like.

:banana:

Edited by BASHO

I do not agree with this rule, however it would make a lot more sense if they brought in the kw/tonne rule. I can gaurantee it would reduced the amount of fatalities and serious injuries on our roads directly related to p-plate drivers.

Compulsory defensive driver training for all people with P plates would be awesome too!

Driver training is tonnes of fun and if they did a couple of classes they'd learn heaps, make friends and enjoy themselves!!!

These sort of classes are compulsory already in other countries

Compulsory defensive driver training for all people with P plates would be awesome too!

Driver training is tonnes of fun and if they did a couple of classes they'd learn heaps, make friends and enjoy themselves!!!

These sort of classes are compulsory already in other countries

yer i think its in germany were u need to learn how to handle a car at a substantial speed and also understand and correct over and under steer along with emergency braking.

over hear its a joke, if u can parallel park apparently ur good enough to drive hmmmmm i dont think so

Even though it won't affect me I hope they don't and that if they do introduce it they do it more sensibly than the other states have.

Instead of just saying "no v8's, because back in my day only v8's had any power, and these new fangled turbos they sound dangerous as well so ban them" a kw/tonne rule should only be used. They should also take into account other features such as drivetrain, ABS, traction control, airbags, cars safety rating etc.. A current model Golf GTI will probably beat a VL commodore in 0-100 times but it's safer, FWD's are alot easier to drive and less likely to get into sticky situations, add the fact it probably can't rip a good burnout plus the cost/damage it takes on your car would put alot of would be hoons off from even trying.

This law is gunna be f**ked up from the get go like other laws governing road users, but in principal I am behind it.

All P platers should start right here:

800pxfordlaser.th.jpg 8487toyotacorolla500.th.jpg volkswagengolfgti1.th.jpg.......... etc.

nuff sed!

The only people that will oppose these restrictions is P platers

I remember when i was on my Ps with a skyline, I didnt care what people said i was an awesome driver.

As time goes on you realize that its not so.

All these guys posting "i never hoon or race" etc

I say bullshit. you buy a turbo skyline for a reason, no body drives them like nannas 100% of the time

id be surprised if its even 20% if the time

I think its a good idea for young drivers to learn how to use the road in a less powerful car unless they have completed a good number of driver training days or something

just my 2cents

Some people take their shit off the road.

Anywho, i know that when i first got my skyline i wasnt used to the power it made, and i had been driving for 18months before hand, i also know that when i first got a car (lancer) i got into some hairy situations, these would of been greatly worsened if i had been driving my skyline at the time.

Restriction on engine size would be sufficient and easier to police, kw/tonne ratings are too difficult to enforce as the police would need to keep a database of every make and model to refer to. something like <2000cc naturally aspirated, unmodified.

Sure some cars will go faster than others in this category but the same can be said for the restrictions on motorbikes, but it serves its purpose which is keeping the majority in proportionately slower cars.

Its not gonna be a complete solution but its a start.

Plus those vn kids wont be able to drive them;)