SAU Community

Amps

AnthonyK1

how speakers and an amp work? i only know how an amp works internally ...dunno bout speakers (: would be a very long post...

im guessing u wanna know what speakers to run off an amp.

well what u got told isnt exactly right.

400W max or 400W rms?

rms = continous power the amp can produce to a set of speakers under the given conditinos or in the speakers case, the amount it can continiously handle.

400W max doesnt give any indication of a speaker or an amp.

those 1000W boss amps only produce 4x65WRMS.

If u have a speaker at say 50RMS rating, to power them nicely, u'd want to put 75-100RMS into them, and adjust the gains carefully...ensuring that theyre receiving nice clean power. they can go louder thus before distortion.

the way to look at it is...if u have a $400 speaker then u need a $400 amp (:

r u sure its 500RMS ? thats quite a bit..what is it?also is it SVC 4ohms? or dual voice coil or what? like i said, 500rms is at certain conditions only, ie. 12Volts at 4ohms etc.

anyway, u'll want something that can give it over 500rms, some monoblock thats decent..JL audio 500/1 cant remember price on that, i think around $800, alpine mrd-1000 around $800ish too i think.

again, if u spent that kinda money on something that can handle 500RMS then u've probably spent how much those amps r worth.

You need to know your sub impedance load (in ohm), and whether it is dual voice coil (DVC) or single voice coil (SVC), because they will give different load to the ohm. Once you know the load of the sub, then you need to find out what power can the amp output with that load, and whether the amp is stable at that load or not.