SAU Community

Fuel 98

Black_CSR

Use what the manual recommends.

Higher octane rating doesn't mean more power, it means the fuel is more resistant to being ignited. So putting like 98ron fuel and octane booster into an old R31 is just going to make your car a son of a bitch to get started and missfire or something.

I wouldn't bother wasting money on BP Ultimate with a normal car just because it has detergent in it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always and only run BP ultimate in my car/s but my mate worx at a caltex and said he only fills his with caltex 98 and its economicl'y better and sometimes even cheaper then BP ultimate.

Mite try next time.

There is a reason BP98 is the most recommended pump fuel for high performance cars...

and ????????

if you state that then you should state the reason

any 98 is better for a high performance car .

Ultimate offers no gains over Vortex 98 and vica-versa

I beg to differ. Reasons have been pointed out in this thread already.

Not all 98 fuel is the same. It may have 98 octane, but that is just the RON, there is more to fuel than that. My mechanic owns the Glen Forrest Caltex service station, he is highly into cars and is the only mechanic i trust my car with. I asked him what fuel i should be filling up with and he told me BP Ultimate hands down. That coming from the owner of a Caltex. Now I'm not basing my argument on that fact but it does still weigh in.

I've driven with other fuels before. Vortex i don't notice a difference in performance but i don't get the same mileage out of it as i do with Ultimate. I've tested this numerous times, and be it absolutely hammering my car taking it up to redline or driving like a old woman, BP Ultimate comes out on top everytime, i get about 15-20% better efficiency with it. Peak 98 is shocking, i'll never use that again. Car drove like crap and i only got 210km's out of a full tank. I've never used Shell in my car, refuse to touch the stuff after it destroyed my dad's old car.

Point is, you ask anyone that knows anything about fuel and cars, their recommendation is BP Ultimate. Sure it may be similar to other cheap fuels, but cheap Chinese performance parts are very similar to Japanese performance parts... Rule of thumb with cars, you get what you pay for.

any 98 is better for a high performance car .

Ultimate offers no gains over Vortex 98 and vica-versa

32 was tuned on Vortex 98 due to it being available in collie .. 630hp no problems :(

I used peak about a week ago and got 425kms, how the hell did you manage 210kms in a non-turbo.

Hence why i don't like Peak. Went straight back to 500kms to a tank when i filled up with BP again. I wasn't driving aggressively or anything either. May have been a bad bit of fuel, i have no idea, but i've never had a problem with BP. For me it is tried and trusted. I've done my own comparisons and BP stands out. I'd rather pay the extra 5c p/L, or whatever the difference is at the time, for the piece of mind that what i'm putting in my car is healthy.

Hence why i don't like Peak. Went straight back to 500kms to a tank when i filled up with BP again. I wasn't driving aggressively or anything either. May have been a bad bit of fuel, i have no idea, but i've never had a problem with BP. For me it is tried and trusted. I've done my own comparisons and BP stands out. I'd rather pay the extra 5c p/L, or whatever the difference is at the time, for the piece of mind that what i'm putting in my car is healthy.

Why do you change fuels for in forst place ??

I also prefer to pay a premium for consistency in quality.

Wont ever be consistent in pump fuels

I'd think the actual station would be causing a bad batch of fuel... not the brand of fuel.

But yeah, just my opinion... I don't have much knowledge in the industry. My big willy is all that counts.

Has been so far while others have proved not to be. Until I get a bad batch of U98, I will stick with it.

Where do you have the fuel tests done ?

Edited by Dsturbd

Why do you change fuels for in forst place ??

Sometimes because i'm in a place where they don't have BP, other times just to simply compare the fuels.

I don't notice anything different with my car on BP or Caltex, fuel usage always remained in 11.5 to 15L/100km

Mainly use Caltex these days as the they are usually the cheapest around my area.

while this is on fuels ive herd that because the tanks are underground they seep moisture and if its not treated you'll get bad fuel everytime. can anyone confirm this .