SAU Community

Defect And Noise Pulltion Testing At Decc

moonus

Hey fellas,

I got done today at an RBT. They sent my car to the DECC (Dept of Environment and climate change) for noise pollution testing. I didnt actually get a defect notice. Just a few areas of help i need with. The car is an R33 GTR. It has the following mods: N1's, Pfc, Full exhaust with hi flow cat, twim pods in box, external fuel pump and surge tank & fuel reg.

- Do i need to change the pods to the standard airbox?

- Can anyone lend me a factory exhaust or there anyway to silence the current exhuast which im assuming is at least 10db above the standard.

- My external fuel pump is quite loud, bosch 044, do you think that would need to be changed?

Can they defect anything else like pfc, wheels, etc?

Thanks for any help. Please feel free to PM if you prefer not to post public.

Anton

they did say there were cracking down , there was a huge setup at smithfield , ch 7 was there and they have a report on monday about it.

oh and btw pfc need to go as they will pick up on that ,i think with fuel pump you should be fine and exhaust change to stock

i thought the decc just check for noise and emissions, when i got sent there thats all they tested it for. swapped the muffler and pod back to standard. I actually got sent there for the front mount.

i thought the decc just check for noise and emissions, when i got sent there thats all they tested it for. swapped the muffler and pod back to standard. I actually got sent there for the front mount.

Hey mate which one did you go to? was the mechanic ok?

for the sound test you need standard cat to pass, if you cant borrow an exhaust get one made up that looks standard, they cant remove anything but they lift the car up to check underneath it and take photos, if they see the pod filters(they'll see it from underneath) they'll pick on that(i slipped a panel filter in so thats what they could see),hide your hand controller, and remove the bov if you've got one.

(my brothers gti-r gone done a couple of months back and thats what i had to do to make it pass the noise test)

went to the one in penrith. to clear the defects was another thing i only had to choices the mechanics in cambelltown or granville i think it was. went to cambelltown as ive heard stories about the other mob being real pricks

take it to the guy in campbelltown ive taken 4 cars there and never had an issue

make sure it has the STOCK NISSAN cat, the rest of the exhaust can be custom made as long as it is under 90db

make sure you have the stock airbox including the snorkel

went to the one in penrith. to clear the defects was another thing i only had to choices the mechanics in cambelltown or granville i think it was. went to cambelltown as ive heard stories about the other mob being real pricks

Cheers mate, so you took it to the DECC with all your mods still in place and then got issued with defects that you had to take the mechanics to change? is that right? because im thinking of just changing the parts before i take it to the DECC

take it to the guy in campbelltown ive taken 4 cars there and never had an issue

make sure it has the STOCK NISSAN cat, the rest of the exhaust can be custom made as long as it is under 90db

make sure you have the stock airbox including the snorkel

Thanks mate, a lot of people have told me to go to cambelltown.

no i got defected for exhaust, bov, and pod and to low, was told to go to the deccc because i had a front mount. so i put everything back to standard exhaust the suspension. went to the deccc, they did an emissions test to make sure the front mount didn't interfere with the emissions of the car as well as exhaust etc. i then went to the mechanic in cambelltown to clear the defects but since i had a report from the deccc he didn't give me any issues for the front mount. just advised me to get an engineers to save hassals with it down the track.

no i got defected for exhaust, bov, and pod and to low, was told to go to the deccc because i had a front mount. so i put everything back to standard exhaust the suspension. went to the deccc, they did an emissions test to make sure the front mount didn't interfere with the emissions of the car as well as exhaust etc. i then went to the mechanic in cambelltown to clear the defects but since i had a report from the deccc he didn't give me any issues for the front mount. just advised me to get an engineers to save hassals with it down the track.

Cool, thanks Dave

ive been sent to DECC once unfortunately and went to Granville.

Car has to be put back to standard completely ( I got away with powerFC, injectors on standard fuel rail & tomei 260/260 9.15mm cams) but everything else had to be put back to standard.

Your car will not past even if your car is 91db, I had a standard r34 gt-r cat and exhaust and it still failed.

I had to have metal plates put in my exhaust and drilled little holes through it. Personally to pass i reckon the best way is go to the exhaust shop and get them to make you a whole new exhaust system, a small one, one or two cats and one or two midmufflers, its almost impossible to get your car to 90db in my experience. But this is definitely what i would do in the future, you can keep your modifications on if your car is engineered but be sure they'll send you to do an emissions test afterwards!

under 90db is definitely acheivable on a stock R33 GTR!

here is what i went through a few years back now!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ur...Gt-t192033.html

ended up ebaying the whole system a few months back to a 33gtr owner for less than $50 !!! sorry I cant see the ad now.

what i used?

stock gtr front pipe, gtr cat, gtr pipes connected to a gtst muffler..

with a standard gtr muffler, it was over 91 or 92db

good luck with it all mate

ps. i went to Archers at Granville and he's a red neck fark... 3 of the cars he was moving outside while i was there waiting were all louder than what my gtr was!

anything over 90.00000000db he will fail you!

Edited by jeff

another exhaust that just finished yesterday on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Stock-Skyline-BCNR3...=item2a05fd420a

haha thanks heaps Jeff...ye that was me who bought that one. Ive got a stock cat and an airbox. ill put that in soon. Ill try and go to cambelltown too. Do they give you an option? also do you think my fuel pump will get done..its an external one and quite whiny?

Cheers,

Anton

Edited by moonus

they did say there were cracking down , there was a huge setup at smithfield , ch 7 was there and they have a report on monday about it.

oh and btw pfc need to go as they will pick up on that ,i think with fuel pump you should be fine and exhaust change to stock

I saw the cameras there and drove around the block heaps of times to get on TV, I didn't get stopped once. I didn't see any channel 7 signs, I thought they were filming for the NSW part of The Force - Behind The line.