SAU Community

Sr20 Rebuild

Hey guys, about to rebuild an SR20DE. was just wondering if its a better idea to go for the DE or the DET. I was more or less thinking that the parts ill be changing will raise the compression rate back up and ill be changing the cams anyway so i may be better off going for the DET seeing its got bigger injectors, coil packs etc.

Its for my S13 silvia, and yes on my p's but not going to turbo it as i want to keep it as a DE as a daily after i get off my p's

Thanks in advanced

Edited by SilR20

Start with an S14/15 DET if you can afford it. The VCT will help you and the piston oil squirters are nice to have. Use S14/15 DE pistons in it and some big cams and that will make good power (by NA standards)

A mate of mine is making ~125rwkw out of an S14 DE with PFC, big cams, DET injectors, extractors and an RB25 AFM. Revving past 8500.

no reason you couldn't use the VE head on a RWD block...or even a GTI-R solid lifter head would allow 9k Rpm easily...and thats the key to making small capacity NA power....lots and lots of revs

the SR20VE head is the way to go if you have deep pockets and plenty of mechanical knowledge. from them it isn't hard to get 150kw at the wheels. if you go the s13 engine route and keep it pretty mild (like sticking with stock compression pistons, and mild cams) you should see 100kw easily. up the cams to a slightly bigger version and you should see 110kw easily. you may make more than that, but i'm just saying what is easily achievable and most people are making easily.

as for deciding which engine to rebuild, that really depends. were you going to rebuild the engine you had or buy a spare engine to rebuild (even if you rebuilt a NA engine)?

if you were going to buy a seperate engine either way then i would go the DET, but make sure you get an ecu for it as well, because with the bigger injectors the DE ecu won't run the car (won't idle, etc) until you get a tune on it to set it up for bigger injectors. but then a DET ecu probably wouldn't handle the DE engine that well either, but it would at least let it run well enough to drive it to a tuner.

A mate of mine is making ~125rwkw out of an S14 DE with PFC, big cams, DET injectors, extractors and an RB25 AFM. Revving past 8500.

That would be a fun car to drive.

no reason you couldn't use the VE head on a RWD block...or even a GTI-R solid lifter head would allow 9k Rpm easily...and thats the key to making small capacity NA power....lots and lots of revs

SR20VE head can be bolted to a rwd block. You will need to run the VVL oil feed externally which isnt too hard to do. You will also have to get a custom intake manifold made up or get an adaptor plate made up so that u can use a standard rwd manifold with it. I had a SR20VE in my old sss pulsar and loved it. It was quicker than my mates R32GTSt before i did any work to to the engine. Get a set of franklin cams, dual valve springs and adjustable cam gears and should easily make 120kw+