SAU Community

Why Not Convertable?

blx

Just wondering why no one has hacked up there skyline into a convertable! I have done a search and found a couple of photo's of photoshopped cars and they look unbelievable!

Does anyone know of any?

Just a thought!

What do you recon?

Anyone have any pics of a converted R33?

surely there are ways to help prevent that?

Although i understand that convertables are speciffically designed and reinforced appropriatly it should still be possible...

I spose i can dream...

when the car comes from factory convertable, the manufactuer strenghtens the chassis to suit. (eg 350Z) alot of the times the car ends up heavier and more expensive than the hard top

you could make a convertable skyline no probs, just have to strengthen it. which would be messy IMO

im sure those were a rare factory standared at one point for the s13 silvia

i've seen an article somewhere of an s13 silvia with an s15 front

Yep it was a rare factory option, but I'm pretty sure I've seen one or 2 conversions too. It's a popular vehicle to hack up. I've also seen one where they replaced every panel with something completely different. My memory escapes me but it was something exotic like a Ferrari or Shelby or something.

There's an S15 convertible available, but it's NA unfortunately. It's called the Silvia Varietta. The rear end seems a little chunkier to me, but I'm not sure if it is just because there's no roof and it's an optical illusion.

I went to look at a R32 GTS25 which was getting wrecked, and "to make it lighter" the guy had chopped off the roof so was easier to push around... not sure abut that bit, but I did open the doors and see how much the body flexed. It wasn't actually too bad and I don't think would need too much strengthing.... pity he was in the sticks coz he only wanted $250 for the car complete the motor et al, might of been an interesting project...