SAU Community

Front Outer Tie Rod End Replacements

I've just found out my passenger side wheel has alot of movement in it. Obviously I'm pissed, as the wheel alignment guys never caught this or told me about it. It's quite noticeable, and I'm sure not safe. So it's time to get it fixed. The drivers side one I'm told has no play, but the rubber ball joint bushing thing looks pretty knackered, so I figured maybe I should just get them both replaced, since I have to get an alignment done anyway.

Now this is the confusing part. The places I have contacted for part #s and pricing, have given me differing #s.

Now these OEM parts are TE926-12 and TE926-14. Not sure which one I'm supposed to order. But as I understand it, the 14 has a longer thread, so that sounds like the one I should get right?

TE926-14

te92614tierodend.jpg

or do I order a ball joint instead?

r32s14rearballjoint.jpg

Do people replace the ball joint and use their original tie rod end, or just get a whole new tie rod end with new ball joint included?

buy the entire outer tie rod end , the part cost $27 each at bursons.... r33gtst and r34gtt are the same i just did this recently.

Ok, will call them up and see what they have. What's throwing me a little is I've been given two different part numbers for my car from various places. Can you recall the part number of the one you got recently?

And did you do both sides or just the one that needed replacing?

the pedders number is PTE 926-14 burson is TE 926-14 but i know that r33 has two listings depending on series.. hope this helps.. i did both

Edited by rgr34

Get a set of these

Despite the brand they are some of the best priced around (not to mention one of the greatest brands ever!)

http://www.rhdjapan.com/ikeya-formula-stre...4-a31-c33-20697

and for ends you want

http://www.kts-web.com/overseas/product/arm/tr_e.html

or

http://www.kts-web.com/overseas/product/arm/tr_r.html

I went ahead and ordered some TE 926-14 tie rod ends today from Global Auto for $25 each.

Adam, I'm not planning on ever racing or drifting my car. The ones I ordered should be as good as the stock Nissan ones I already have. I've read quite a few things about the pillow tie rod ends, and how alot of folks do not recommend them.

Edited by KrazyKong

I went ahead and ordered some TE 926-14 tie rod ends today from Global Auto for $25 each.

Adam, I'm not planning on ever racing or drifting my car. The ones I ordered should be as good as the stock Nissan ones I already have. I've read quite a few things about the pillow tie rod ends, and how alot of folks do not recommend them.

No worries eh.

I only mention this as I have read Nissan tie-rods are typically a weak piont. Havn't actually experience a failer myself though...

good luck with it all dude!

I picked up the tie rod ends from Global Auto Spares today. Had a quick look under the car while holding them up and they seemed to match perfectly. Had a trustworthy mechanic install them both for $40 total, and then onto the alignment place which cost $39.

So new parts, new alignment and it cost me $129 all up. A bargain I think, and the car feels so much better. No rattle noise either. And so far from the driving done today, no tram tracking either.

I kept the old ones, especially the bad tie rod end so I could take a picture and post it here for everyone. Scary sight and I could have been in some very real danger had it failed at speed. On both sides the boots had cracked, but on the bad side, there was no grease left. Just crud and sludge. The thread looked dangerously warn from the excessive movement too. For such a quick and overall cheap replacement, I only wish one of the 3 previous wheel alignment places I went to previously had actually told me how bad the movement in my wheel was. Doesn't say much about the import compiance guys either as it was clearly bad even before I bought this car.

Edited by KrazyKong

There were the pics I meant to post about my old tie rod ends.

The "bad" tie rod end...

post-63769-1273498444_thumb.jpg post-63769-1273498513_thumb.jpg post-63769-1273498891_thumb.jpg post-63769-1273498971_thumb.jpg

As you can see, no grease, lots of sludge and this could have caused a very nasty accident for me. There was a huge amount of play in the joint.

The "good" tie rod end...

post-63769-1273499101_thumb.jpg post-63769-1273499451_thumb.jpg post-63769-1273500229_thumb.jpg post-63769-1273500792_thumb.jpg

No play on this one, lots of grease still and apart from the broken rubber boot, seemed to be in good condition.

There you have it. I don't have pics of the new tie rod ends, just the box they came in and part number.

post-63769-1273497588_thumb.jpg post-63769-1273497726_thumb.jpg

But if anyone is interested, I can take some next time I'm under the car.

• 5 months later...

This thread helped me. Thank you.

A bloke at the local mechanic said he always checks nissans because they seem to consistenly have problems with tie

rod ends. Interesting.

Easy way to check

jack up one corner, grab the wheel on the left and right, try to move it as through the steering wheel is turning, any play here is the tie rods or rack ends

grab the wheel at the top and bottom and wiggle up and down, any play here is usually wheel bearings

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

$25.00 GAH! I called up a few places for quotes on Tie Rod ends today & they were quoting me $130 - $150 .. Gonna fake a dudes voice when I call up next!

So you def these will also fit in an R34?

$25.00 GAH! I called up a few places for quotes on Tie Rod ends today & they were quoting me $130 - $150 .. Gonna fake a dudes voice when I call up next!

So you def these will also fit in an R34?

130-150 sounds more like the price of a tie rod the ends are 25 ring bursons.