SAU Community

Insurance - Shipping & Handling

Arcos

I'm looking to import a V35 Coupe and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on insurance, and for that matter what options are available. There are, I think, four stages to potentially cover before you can obtain normal car insurance;

1. From purchase (auction, dealer) to port / loading on ship.
  2. Shipping from Japan to Australia.
  3. Unloading / storing at Aussie port.
  4. Picking up and delivering to Compliance / Home (this step could possibly be covered by normal car insurance? Although the car would not be roadworthy at this point)

Is it possible to insure end to end? Do people normally bother or do most just wear the risk?

What would you do?

If you're importing through a broker, they should be able to help you with the first 2.

For 3 and 4 you may be able to get something like laid up insurance. I know Shannons do it for their custs. Pretty much covers the car while being stored and transported on the back of a truck.

No one will cover you though will its unregistered if its being driven on the road. Not that i could find anyway. I actually drove mine from the compliance place to home to RTA which you can do, just can't remember having insurance for it whilst doing that.

I'm looking to import a V35 Coupe and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on insurance, and for that matter what options are available. There are, I think, four stages to potentially cover before you can obtain normal car insurance;

1. From purchase (auction, dealer) to port / loading on ship.
  2. Shipping from Japan to Australia.
  3. Unloading / storing at Aussie port.
  4. Picking up and delivering to Compliance / Home (this step could possibly be covered by normal car insurance? Although the car would not be roadworthy at this point)

Is it possible to insure end to end? Do people normally bother or do most just wear the risk?

What would you do?

1, never done it, never needed it and not sure it's actually possible at all. I've never heard of it.

2, I used to do it, now I just use good shipping companies instead and never have a problem. if the car is super duper special I'd spend the extra money on putting it in a container rather than buying some dodgy insurance. prevention is far better than the cure. I'd much rather make sure nothing happens to the car up front (as best I can) than have to bother with insurance claims down the track.

3, same as above. the car is unloaded and will be at the port for a couple of days only. it's secure in there and nothing will happen. not worth it.

4, for this one I would get regular comprehensive insurance. tell the company you've bought a new car and it will be in your possession as of XX date but is not yet registered. it shouldn't be a problem, just give them the chassis number.

end to end I've never heard of anyone who has insured a car from the moment it was purchased at auction right through to it being complied and registered in aus. it certainly doesn't keep me awake at night....

edit: dude! just saw you are buying a V35 coupe. seriously it's not worth it. it's a car that costs a bit over $10K to buy. waste of money insuring that or putting it in a container. seriously even for cars $100K+ carefully monitored, regular roro shipping process is fine.

You probably cant get insurance for the car from the auction to the port, but at each stage, when the car changes hands, the car is checked over, and your customs agent in Japan should be able to trace that sort of stuff if something major happened. Same in Aus as well.

Shipping with Kiwi, all cars are insured but doesnt include inner cargo.

I was personally really worried about the process, but after doing it twice now, I havent really had much to worry about. I have heard of horror stories though. You can expect minor things to be taken, I had my gear knob pinched on my first car. And on my Legacy, someone has replaced the rear view mirror with a different one. Quite funny actually, and I prefer the one they put on :yes:

Guess I won't bother with insurance during transport then, but what if the ship sinks?!

And, when it arrives in Australia I should be able to get it covered by normal car insurance.

To get from the dock to wherever, I believe I can get a temporary permit to drive the car from one location to another (did this with an unlicensed motorbike from local auction recently), is that what most do? I'm guessing I can just drive it home if I need to wait for compliance, then get another permit to drive it to compliance, then home or the pits for licensing. Is there a limit on the number of permits you can get?

hey Insurey McInsurance. what's with you and insurance?

what if the ship sinks? really?

very very remote chance of that happening... there is higher chance of the ship being boarded by pirates and hijacked

if the ship sinks you will most likely loose the car and you will be required to pay a share of the salvage cost. you can insure against that salvage cost liability. it's called general average insurance. personally I think it's a waste of time. if it worries you then look into it. it does occasionally happen. a business partner in japan has had a ship sink that he had some cars on. not nice. but that's the only one I know of personally. of the thousands and thousands of voyages per yer carrying cars I would say less than 1 sink.

If you really want piece of mind, then do it. Its not expensive.

As an example i last used Associated Marine Insurance who are underwriters for Zurich i think. Cost was $230 for $23000 car. Was a 2yr old V35 at the time. If the car is worth less, the premium will come down.

Easy process, get photos of the car before it boards and pay your premium once they give you the quote.

so yeah if no insurance means no sleep, just do it :)