SAU Community

Heartbreak Again!

Tommmo

Just out of interest does the person who built the first engine have his workshop in the hills and has just move to another place in the hills?

nope

Just out of interest does the person who built the first engine have his workshop in the hills and has just move to another place in the hills?

but in all honesty, if I was ever to build an engine again.. I would only ever let Paul do it.. regardless of what it is!

He just called me up then, to give me his advice on what the issue in the tune may be!

On a sunday night! now thats a bloke who cares

Just make sure you put back into the community what you've had given to you and keep the good karma in circulation :)

i think you might be right...

Whether you like, love, or have general respect for your tuner, whomever it may be, running a new engine rich enough that you can 'feel' it through the seat of your pants is a very dangerous thing to do. Two problems are created - the first being that you can potentially glaze the bores of the engine, and when this happens you are left with an engine that needs to be stripped down and honed to be fixed (achieve proper ring seal again). The other potential issue is oil dilution which can seriously affect the engines ability to lubricate the bottom end correctly. Be very careful with all of this, or we will possibly get Heartbreak mk III thread, and thats the last thing anybody wants. Your engine builder should be (and probably is already) all over this :(

Hey tommmo,

I was down at pauls not long ago while my daughter was hanging out with his daughter and stacey...he helped me with my vipec and added a boost switch for me. He spent more than a few hrs and I even drank his JD and coke. The point I'm making, he really goes out on a limp and simply knows his gtr's. If I ever had to rebuild a new engine, paul would be my 1st choice, there is no doubt about it.

Besides, does anybody know of any workshops that have close to 20 rb's being built, all from word of mouth? Imagine if he advertised and had a shopfront?

Not entirely happy with the tune.. Terrible on cold starts, need to turn ignition over twice before it starts, when it does, timing is all retarded and drives sluggish.

A lot better when it warms up, but still a bit hesitant when just cruising along at 2500rpm. Not sure if this has something to do with the larger injectors? When foot is 3/4 or flat on the throttle, it does pull very smoothly.

I'd like to see final boost setting around 22psi and lean it out a bit more, noticed it's chewing through petrol pretty quickly at the moment!

Typical of a much larger injector

.....and as Martin stated earlier, over fueling can lead to glazed bores on an engine that hasn't bedded it's rings to bores yet..........I've seen many new engines burn oil like a worn out engine and once that happens, there nothing you can do about it (other than strip it down to a bare block again)

I give partial credit to larger injector argument

Modern injector are sooo much better than the likes of 20yr old sards and competing brands, but again that comes down to tuner

1st tune = 281.4 rwkw @ 18psi

running a bit rich at the mo.. will be tinkering with it a bit more

My car made 324kw's at 18psi on that dyno, but was tuned by Martin at Willall. Just for a comparison.

Did you ever harass the original assembler with all the evidence from paul's strip down and analysis? Surely that would be enough evidence to get your money back, if not if you could be bothered taking them to court it certainly would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever harass the original assembler with all the evidence from paul's strip down and analysis? Surely that would be enough evidence to get your money back, if not if you could be bothered taking them to court it certainly would be.

not yet.. will be seeking some legal advice prior to speaking with him

on another note.. did end up taking the car to Martin

Feels a lot better under throttle now, also much better on cold starts :thanks:

Tune#2 = 280AWkw @ 16psi

post-20233-0-80746800-1312247484_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through this whole thread... what a story! Glad it's all worked out in the end for you Tommmo. Such an amazing offer from Paul :-)

You should definitely try and recoup your costs from the original builder... people have to supply a product 'fit for purpose' and are legally bound to do so. An engine breaking after 3000km is hardly fit for purpose. If you have evidence that he didn't build it properly and he chose not to guarantee his workmanship then I hope he pays the price. Nothing worse than crap service.

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while since my last post..

Most recent upgrade has been window tints, only problem is.. this has now made the water marks on the drivers and passengers windows extremely noticeable. I've tried attacking them with just about everything (acetone, metho, window polish etc) they just wont budge.. any ideas?

Anyway, i've uploaded some pics, still a few things left to do, but im just so glad that I can enjoy driving it again!

Also a big big thank you again to Paul (Red R Racing), who once again came to the rescue...this time with a pair of very hard to get z32 adapters. Cheers mate, you've been an absolute legend! Words cannot describe the gratitude and respect I have for you!!

post-20233-0-12944500-1315062569_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-62916300-1315062583_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-66573700-1315062599_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-56141400-1315062628_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-96602500-1315062645_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-25551200-1315062660_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-30567500-1315062673_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-57345100-1315063317_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-65100200-1315063338_thumb.jpg

post-20233-0-07646800-1315063352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tommmo