SAU Community

Just Can't Decide On A Computer....

Ive had 2 and my series 6 was used for the deveopment of thier version 4 (via mildren rotory in adelaide), i have quite a few few reasons for not liking them and continual isues with firmware in my v4 and massive timing drift was only the begining of my hate for them..

My main hate is the large percentage of people who come in with wolf ecu's have bounced from shop to shop trying to get a decent result without getting something they consider up to scratch.

As i said previous i dont waste my time with them, i send them to a wolf dealer and if they are not happy with the results and come back we swap it out for something else.

its only my opinion so either way it makes no difference.

That's funny, I find them easy to tune, they hold there tune great and Robbie is the most helpful tech support person i've come across. In saying that I only have experience with v500's and late model v4's. My last few calls to haltech have been hopeless.

Have you tuned many V500's Trent?

My last Link had a fault and I would have had to send it away so they could check it out. Ended up having to rewire a couple of relays just so I could give the car back to the customer.

Im really liking the sound of the v44....i didn't know they had a model that was a decent price....

Thanks for your input paul on the PFC, was hoping you would post.....if one pops up for $1100, it would indeed be hard to look past...i can't knock the power fc as i got one cheap for my sr20det when it was still in the car, it only had 180rwkw, but when it was tuned it was just a better car to drive i was really suprised...

I don't think the tuner i was going to go with tunes vi-pecs, i could be wrong though....im sort of located smack bang in the middle of sydney, but i would tow the car anywhere to get it done properly. I also had a talk to the dudes at superlap yesterday and yeah....they do make it sound good...Lukas 33, how come you say no to haltech?

Cheers everyone for your comments :(

Aiden

I agree, if a PFC pops up for that cheap I would not be looking past it either :)

I am just not a haltech fan. The amount you pay, the setting up, the local tuners around here. I have no doubt in my mind that they are good, but the bang for buck ratio is completely out of the question when you have the PFC and ViPEC in hand.

We don't have a SINGLE ViPEC tuner in town....but we have 2 that will tune LINK, so I know they can tune ViPEC :D. Then again that really isn't an issue for me any way as I am not getting anyone here to tune my car :( I got Guilt-Toy to set my ecu up over the net and give me a base tune so I can drive it around etc and will be driving down to probably Mafia in Mackay or get Guilt-Toy to tune mine while it is on the rollers.

If you are in Sydney I am sure you can find someone who can tune a LINK :D

sorry if im hi-jacking the thread, just wondering about the different ecu's software?? what ecu has the better software in terms of setting up the car, ease of use and datalogging.. and being able to do all the little customizations you want done?

So far i have been looking into a upgrade from the power fc to be able to do some of the additional things i want done.. like control nos, thermo fans, being able to play with the rev limiter so it doesnt bounce as hard on the limiter etc..

Ive downloaded the software for the vi-pec and haltech, havent gotten very far with the vi-pec, but im quite liking the haltech to a point, it seems easy enough to set the 3litre up to have it driving around.. but it can be a bit temperamental, like i tried to invert the load n rpm axes, and then all the axes units corrupted.. the help from the haltech ecu manager itself is really great.. with alot of the settings that sound like gibberish explained out

Jarrod

in regrads to the additional features, they come at a cost, which is why the powerfc doesn't include any of those

the powerfc is a simple plug and play standalone ECU with a hand controller to give you everything you need for a basic or street or track car

other ecu's like motec, autronic, vipec etc will have anti lag, launch control, logging, multiple map switching, different rev cut methods etc etc etc

but these all come at a cost. if you see value in them and need them thats fair enough, but thats why you wont see it in the powerfc - they come at extra cost

the powerfc has software and logging abilities but they are 3rd party features, again at extra cost and purchases

if you want these options, like you have said then you are better off going for a better supported unit, with those features native (vs 3rd party tools like datalogit)

but this is where you go from a $900 ECU to a $1500+ ECU

sorry if im hi-jacking the thread, just wondering about the different ecu's software?? what ecu has the better software in terms of setting up the car, ease of use and datalogging.. and being able to do all the little customizations you want done?

So far i have been looking into a upgrade from the power fc to be able to do some of the additional things i want done.. like control nos, thermo fans, being able to play with the rev limiter so it doesnt bounce as hard on the limiter etc..

Ive downloaded the software for the vi-pec and haltech, havent gotten very far with the vi-pec, but im quite liking the haltech to a point, it seems easy enough to set the 3litre up to have it driving around.. but it can be a bit temperamental, like i tried to invert the load n rpm axes, and then all the axes units corrupted.. the help from the haltech ecu manager itself is really great.. with alot of the settings that sound like gibberish explained out

Jarrod

In your case The Haltech Platinum is very hard to beat without spending much more cash.

Depends on what you want to do with engine. If you want a high reving engine for dragracing use (above 6400rpm) and need more rpm points (where ignition timing, amount of fuel injected changes) above 6400rpm, Haltech or PowerFC would be a better choice. If road / racetrack engine and not going to rev above 6400rpm, stock ECU will do the job. Also some aftermarket ECU's like Motec ECU for example is suited to competition use and can change troublesome sensors (CAS, etc) which can't be done with stock ECU, PowerFC ECU (have to run stock sensors, etc). Except for AFM that can be changed to Z32 AFM, etc. Also aftermarket ECU's have onboard boost control, launch control, etc. Just too many features to list.

Usually more rpm points = rpm points closer together and result's in a smoother reving engine due to engine doesn't struggle to rev between rpm points, but takes longer to tune which cost's you $$$.

Stock ECU with 6400rpm / 16 rpm points = rpm point every 400rpm.

PowerFC with 6400rpm / 20 rpm points = rpm point every 320rpm.

Haltech ECU with 6400rpm / 32 rpm points = rpm point every 200rpm

Motec ECU with 6400rpm / 40 rpm points = rpm point every 160rpm.

Can see why Motec ECU is popular on dragracing, racecar, etc engines.

If engine is RB25DET, Haltech, Link or Vi-PEC ECU. Motec ECU if you have the $$$$.

the load points in my gtr where 125rpm right the way to the 8500rpm rev limit using the wolf v500 :D

wolf v500

there very awesome i know at least 10 dudes running them and they have no complaints

i had nothing but praise when i was running the wolf, same with my mechanic, he previously recomended haltecs but has since made the switch.

i changed from a power fc to a wolf v500 and the biggest difference i noticed was the power and revs seemed so much smoother, and was much quicker to rev. (i changed nothing else at all)

can't comment about the older wolfs. and am lucky to use a guy who really knows his stuff with them

The amount of load and rpm points means nothing when it comes to the ability of ECU to control fuelling and timing. I think most of the the ecu's mentioned offer heaps of tuning cells as there interpolation is crap.

BA falcons use 2 14x6 tables to control fuelling up to 22psi of boost and that includes two varaiable cams and they need to pass emmissions.

I will also pass on tuning wolf as usually there is nothing but grief for both the tuner and the client. In saying that I have heard good things about the new V500. I've had similar issues with the windows based Haltech before the platinum series. I've never had issues with MAF based PFC but definately stay away from the MAP based versions as they are crap. I've also never had issues in tuning the std ecu.

The amount of load and rpm points means nothing when it comes to the ability of ECU to control fuelling and timing. I think most of the the ecu's mentioned offer heaps of tuning cells as there interpolation is crap.

BA falcons use 2 14x6 tables to control fuelling up to 22psi of boost and that includes two varaiable cams and they need to pass emmissions.

I will also pass on tuning wolf as usually there is nothing but grief for both the tuner and the client. In saying that I have heard good things about the new V500. I've had similar issues with the windows based Haltech before the platinum series. I've never had issues with MAF based PFC but definately stay away from the MAP based versions as they are crap. I've also never had issues in tuning the std ecu.

True re the load maps.

But i cant understand your hate of the MAP based POWERfc's why is that? and what software do you use to tune them? we have no dramas and the age old complaint of poor economy is a tuner issue no the fc's fault. We have few big HP sr20's running d-jetro as dailies with no issues....

i just want to know what others are having issues with?

True re the load maps.

But i cant understand your hate of the MAP based POWERfc's why is that? and what software do you use to tune them? we have no dramas and the age old complaint of poor economy is a tuner issue no the fc's fault. We have few big HP sr20's running d-jetro as dailies with no issues....

i just want to know what others are having issues with?

MAP based PowerFC's seem like a really smart AFM based system thats been converted to MAP with no real speed density model. They were obviously made for the US market as most people dont understand MAF transfer tables and desired AFR tuning and have just read on forums that "MAFLESS" Tunes always make the most power. If they added an editable charged temp table with a proper high speed IAT sensor along with injection phasing angle tables it maybe a benfit. Also idle rpm delta igntion control would help to get the lope out of some of the bigger cams as well - but very few ECU's offer this.

Besides that I have had issues with inconsistant fuelling - mainly on GTR's that should be throttle/speed density mapped anyway. The SR's have a decent MAP signal which sometimes tune better - but I just prefer to use the MAF based PFC's.

sorry to hijack the thread but i was just reading the first page and i read somthing to do with if u get a power fc get the z32 afm, now i got a power fc (getting it tuned thursday) but i dont have a z32 afm...do i NEED one to get it tuned or can i still get my car tuned?

sorry to hijack the thread but i was just reading the first page and i read somthing to do with if u get a power fc get the z32 afm, now i got a power fc (getting it tuned thursday) but i dont have a z32 afm...do i NEED one to get it tuned or can i still get my car tuned?

Depends on what power levels you are aiming for. Do a quick search and you will soon find a correlation between AFM and max hp/kw