SAU Community

Oil Level For Rb30/rb26

leeroy_25

It may be a silly question but for my R30/RB26 build what oil level do I need in the oil pan? I fitted an RB26 dipstick and tube to the block and it has a sump adapter on 10mm thick so will my max oil level be 10mm lower than the max marked on the dipstick or because I have the sump adapter am I okay (or should I aim) to fill it up to the max mark?

Cheers

Lee

I don't know for sure, but the max oil level is only to stop the oil rising too high, so with your 10mm adapter, you should be fine to add oil to the max level. You just have 10mm more depth to you oil pan now! Maybe have a looky at the RB30 dipstick and see if they reach down the same amount or if they are different.

That was kind of my thinking but I don't want to be wasting good oil if I don't need that much!

Now that I am running an RB26 sump and dipstick tube if there is a difference with the RB30 that doesn't really help me. Thats why I swapped to all RB26 bits so it matched the sump.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks guy's, Insurance sounds good to me! I meant waste in the sense of if it tries to blow it out cos the level is too high.

So that makes the new oil capaity around 6.5 litres? Just checking.. Plus I need about another 1/2 litre for my oil cooler too I reckon! It's 25 row?

Thank you

Lee

• 2 months later...

HI mate

I found that with a 10mm adapter plate, a bone-dry engine (ie assembly lube only -have you just rebuilt?) and an ancilliary oil cooler (with all the relocation lines) plus filling the oil filter, you are looking at 8 litres or more per oil change.

Yeah, I know - I was pretty surprised too. Others have suggested they are at 10 litres..

Andrew

Thanks guy's, Insurance sounds good to me! I meant waste in the sense of if it tries to blow it out cos the level is too high.

So that makes the new oil capaity around 6.5 litres? Just checking.. Plus I need about another 1/2 litre for my oil cooler too I reckon! It's 25 row?

Thank you

Lee