SAU Community

BOV Noise or air pod noise ??

Gizmo73

Hi Guys...

New to the turbo (being a V8 man), and got a question im hoping you guys can answer (and in the process make me look like a noob !!) :)

Had the car for one week.. :( Very happy with it !!

Its got an hks super-dragger exhaust, turbo timer, HKS air pod and ECU mods...not boosted.

When i accelerate over 3,000rpm, you really can hear the air being sucked into the pod...

However, when i stop accelerating to change gears, you get a big whoosh noise. Its not like a whip cracking or anything like that - more like a whistle...

Is this the noise coming from the pod, or do i have an aftermarket BOV im not aware of ?? ( is the pod suppost to make this noise ??)

How can i tell if i have an aftermarket BOV ?? Location, what im looking for, etc...

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome:)

its ya bov when you change gears it releases pressure from the turbo. the pod will make a whisteling sound when you accelerate, the turbo spooling up is sucking.

have you got a digi cam ? take some pics of your engine bay and we'll check it out.

the pic attatched is were the bov/plum back is located (circled area) in most gtst's.

Congrats on the new ride :(

Thanks for the reply Cameron...

Ill try and take some pics soon - i will have to borrow a digital camera....

I know i dont have anything exotic like that BOV you detailed - what does the standard one look like, and should itmake these noises ???

Gizmo73, dont worry, its quite normal to be able to hear the BOV when you have a pod fitted. The air returns just after the AFM and before the turbo. If you want to quiet it down, fit a partition or box around your pod - which is a good idea anyway.

Atmo BOV is not legal, unless you get an exemption for it - or plumb it back:p

Sorry, poor wording....

cops will defect you because it vents to atmosphere cause they don't know/understand about the emissions etc... So i figure, whak a lil filter on the baby and say "it doesn't vent to atmosphere, that lil filter filters it out so only good air goes to the atmosphere"... lol...

also make it a lil more subtle.... :D

Hi Steve....

Thanks for the reply...

After closer investigation, this noob managed to find the BOV.... :D

However - is this normal ??

i found printed on the BOV a mitsubishi icon, and the part number K5T09474..

It however does look very stock looking...

Im real confused - as this is my first skyilne i know what an aftermarket NOB looks like, however im new to the whole skyline normalities..

Cheers,

Matt

yeah, all the sounds are normal man, don't stress...

and the mitsubishi logo is normal too (VERY unfortunately)... lol

There's another thread that refers to the mitsu logos... it's cause mitsubishi make a lot of electronics etc.... there'll be a logo on the black thing infront of your cam gear cover too... (can't memba the name of it, mental blank....)

so yeah, sounds are normal... it's just presurised air traveling around... :D go and enjoy....

hey guys

When i got my  HKS BOV put in are they meant to seal the standard one?...coz say upto 3500rpm i can here the stockie go off then over say 4000rpm the HKS goes off....while in the background u can hear the AF whistle away....

The standard should be blocked off.

The standard bov should have been removed when the hks was installed.

"After closer investigation, this noob managed to find the BOV.... :)

i found printed on the BOV a mitsubishi icon, and the part number K5T09474.."

This is a standard Bov/plum back. and mistubishi make alot of turbos, youd be surprised that their i think the biggest turbo manufactor in the world ? i think :)the standard bov makes a pshhh nosie when you change gears so its all normal.

The standard should be blocked off.

The standard bov should have been removed when the hks was installed.

"After closer investigation, this noob managed to find the BOV.... :)

i found printed on the BOV a mitsubishi icon, and the part number K5T09474.."

This is a standard Bov/plum back. and mistubishi make alot of turbos, youd be surprised that their i think the biggest turbo manufactor in the world ? i think :)the standard bov makes a pshhh nosie when you change gears so its all normal.

hey man

Thanx for tellin me....would it b better to block it or take it off...if so how do i take it off or should i just take it to someone to do it

Cheers