SAU Community

OK you automobile experts

1GTR2GO

Hey guys,

I took the GTR to a track day at Morgan Park a few weeks ago. Some very fast and very expensive machines were there that day (a few worth over $150 000 each).

This is a pic of the engine bay of one of the cars that was lapping fastest.

Who can tell me what type of engine it is and what type of car?

I will post the answer tomorrow!!!

Picture_2523.jpg

The engine is definantly a RB25DET, you can see the VCT bulge on the timing belt cover so its not a RB20DET. (Nice job on the plenum, btw)

The engine bay doesn't look like a nissan. The fuse box is in an odd place, could have been moved but nissan doesn't use clear covers any way. The gas struts holding up the bonnet look like the sort of thing Toyota would do, or maybe something european. The sound deadening on the bonnet is pretty hefty too.

BMW (older 3 or 5 series) keeps coming to mind.

Looks to me to be an old 5 Series BMW,,,,E28 I'm SURE. Notice Brake Master Cylinder is on the left side and that crappy old power steering bottle. He's modded the bonnet struts,,,but the biggest giveways are the air inlets at the back of the bonnet and that fuse box.........and thats gotta be an RB25DET,,,,those breather hoses give it away.....

So what do I win,,,,,,

Neil.

Well I gotta say that I am impressed.

All those who said it was a 5 series BMW with a RB25DET - Take a bow. You know your cars!!!

Picture_2524.jpg

So if you happen to come across an old bimmer with flutes in the bonnet at the old traffic lights grand prix, don't automatically think it will an easy win!!l

Picture_2522.jpg

Originally posted by [ryan]

Neil you know your sh*t!

Gee thanks Ryan,,,,12 years with Nissan and 10 with BMW did help....Ryan can you fix my computer for me???.

Hey 1GTR2GO,,,,next time you see him,,,sugest a front strut brace,,,or that lovely engine bay will need re-spraying,,,,Early BMW strut towers don't like no support.

Bloody nice job of that engine bay indeed,,,,I'm impressed.

Neil

Originally posted by ndr

Gee thanks Ryan,,,,12 years with Nissan and 10 with BMW did help....Ryan can you fix my computer for me???.

Hey 1GTR2GO,,,,next time you see him,,,sugest a front strut brace,,,or that lovely engine bay will need re-spraying,,,,Early BMW strut towers don't like no support.  

Bloody nice job of that engine bay indeed,,,,I'm impressed.

Neil

whats wrong with it

Originally posted by ndr

Looks to me to be an old 5 Series BMW,,,,E28 I'm SURE. Notice Brake Master Cylinder is on the left side and that crappy old power steering bottle. He's modded the bonnet struts,,,but the biggest giveways are the air inlets at the back of the bonnet and that fuse box.........and thats gotta be an RB25DET,,,,those breather hoses give it away.....

So what do I win,,,,,,

Neil.

Damn Neil!:)