SAU Community

R32 Gtr Air Con And Power Steering Belt Replacement

jonathon

Hi guys,

just wondering if someone can help me.

I have attempted to replace the belts for the power steering and also the air conditioner. I have loosened the adjustor bolts, however cannot seem to move either the idler pulley or the air con unit, to release the tension.

What am I doing wrong???

Cheers

Edited by jonathon

the idler pully for the aircon belt has a bolt behind it that is used to tension it and loosen it you need to acess it from under the car basically when your underneath looking up at the idler the head of the adjuster bolt is pointing at you towards the ground the aircon unit its self is fixed to the block and doesnt move

the idler pully for the aircon belt has a bolt behind it that is used to tension it and loosen it you need to acess it from under the car basically when your underneath looking up at the idler the head of the adjuster bolt is pointing at you towards the ground the aircon unit its self is fixed to the block and doesnt move

Hi SWITZER,

I have loosened the adjuster bolts - but it still wont budge. I'm even thinking that the belts are too small for the car, meaning they have been adjusted as much as possible, therefore I cannot make them looser.

I was considering cutting the belt off then seeing if it can move (but if I'm wrong I wont beable to get a belt back on!)

So there are no other bolts that need to be loosened, just the adjuster bolts (one under the idler, and one under the power steering)?

Are you sure youre loosening them?

The aircon tensioner pulley should move UP as you loosen it. You might even want to take the bolt all the way out.

The PS pump should rotate down and towards the motor. You may have to loosen the mounting bolts and push/pry on it to get it to move.

My dad told me this once: Somehow someone put that belt. You should be able to get it off.

You need to loosen the bolt holding the tensioner pulley itself on before it'll move up or down (air con). To loosen the PS bracket bolt you can fit a 14mm socket through one of the gaps in the pulley as long as it's rotated into the right position to do this.

Edited by doo doo

You need to loosen the bolt holding the tensioner pulley itself on before it'll move up or down (air con). To loosen the PS bracket bolt you can fit a 14mm socket through one of the gaps in the pulley as long as it's rotated into the right position to do this.

Do you mean the idler pully? So the bolt in the centre of the pully needs to be loosened?

DanShirts - great quote from your dad!

"My dad told me this once: Somehow someone put that belt. You should be able to get it off"

Cheers guys

No not the bolt in the center of the pulley! There is a bolt on the left hand side of the pulley which can be accessed when looking through one of the 2 holes if the pulley is correctly rotated as mentioned by doo doo

Don't take it all the way out like i did though just loosen it otherwise it's a bitch to get back in! :verymad:

Edited by endless

The nut in the centre of the tensioner pulley for the aircon belt needs to be loosened- this nut locks the pulley into place. (not the PS pulley).

Edited by doo doo