SAU Community

Foglights? Got Told Off By A Cop... Pretty Sure It Comes On Standard Mate...

Nick.

Do you ride a motorbike?

If not, then I suggest having a go before you start making claims about them being harmless.

thats said, I have been blinded many times by on coming motor bikes as they sit much higher than a car and under throttle the nose lifts just enought to send the beam straight into my face.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats said, I have been blinded many times by on coming motor bikes as they sit much higher than a car and under throttle the nose lifts just enought to send the beam straight into my face.

Many times? Or once or twice?

And that's generally unfortunate and something the riders needs to be aware of. If a headlight is shining in your face then it's an adjustment issue.

If we lined a well headlight adjusted bike and car up, and pointed the at a wall, the light pattern should be identical.

Another thing. Try driving around in a helmet that is say, bug splattered or a tiny bit fogged up, and see if it's the same as a headlight shining in your car window. And what happens if you stray off the road a touch? You put a wheel on the dirt and pull it back on. What happens on a bike? You lose the front and end up in a ditch.

My series 1 had a series 2 front... so it had foglights but they werent connected...

and they defected me for it cuz i could not turn them on lol... they get u for every little thing

My series 1 had a series 2 front... so it had foglights but they werent connected...

and they defected me for it cuz i could not turn them on lol... they get u for every little thing

That's gay.

I know it says in the rules any light must be operational, but that's really f**king petty. You must've seriously pissed someone off :miner:

Many times? Or once or twice?

And that's generally unfortunate and something the riders needs to be aware of. If a headlight is shining in your face then it's an adjustment issue.

If we lined a well headlight adjusted bike and car up, and pointed the at a wall, the light pattern should be identical.

Another thing. Try driving around in a helmet that is say, bug splattered or a tiny bit fogged up, and see if it's the same as a headlight shining in your car window. And what happens if you stray off the road a touch? You put a wheel on the dirt and pull it back on. What happens on a bike? You lose the front and end up in a ditch.

Yes thats very true, how do they adjust the motobikes headlights? with a rider sitting on the bike or not? because I'd imagine that would make a huge differenece to the height of the adjustment, especially for a motard or similar.

GOOD!!!! I'm so relieved, haha, That means you've seen us!!!! I ride with my high beams on, if it pissed you off at least you know we're there. When I drive around motorbikes even I find it easy to miss them and I look out for them! With only one light on a bike or one high beam which is smaller than most car lights it doesn't pose any danger to car drivers but provides a little extra safety, even more in the day time.

And yeah, on a bike if there are bright lights ahead of you it's hard because you can only cover your eyes with your hand, taking one had of the bars which can become a hazard. At night our lights move with the bike which makes turning corners even more difficult. Put these to together and you have a problem :)

Yes thats very true, how do they adjust the motobikes headlights? with a rider sitting on the bike or not? because I'd imagine that would make a huge differenece to the height of the adjustment, especially for a motard or similar.

If done properly it's with rider on the bike. On most bikes you can adjust the headlight from the seat.

If not you just adjust it a touch lower than would otherwise be ideal. Most riders have a fair idea of how much sag is loaded into their rear shock.

far out

but my s1 has the indicator light and fog light next to it in one if you like as an optional upgrade im sure you could have fogs there instead/aswell

There was no light fitted and never was on mine so dose that mean although i have a lens i can be defected for it even though its stock?????

PS i fitted the fogs further down later and yes thats about negative 3 degrees camber

DSC_0016.jpg

Edited by jjskyline79

pretty sure the fog light loom is removed during compliance. doesn't stop anybody from rewiring them once the car is in their possession, just make sure they work in accordance with the law and you shouldn't have any dramas (i.e. via a separate switch rather than relay etc).

i agree with andrew, motorbike lights are bright and fark ur shit up particularly the ones with HID's or whatever bright as hell globes they have shits me up the wall.

i agree with you i hate people driving around with driving/fog lights on and even more so in the day you look like a tool commo ute driver.

cowboy if its that hard been a motorbike rider dont ride one if you ask me.

adz - your LED running lights are legal, however driving with your fogs/driving lights as well and tellin the cop to blow you would most likely result in a baton inserted in you without any lubrication.

Interesting little fact most Aussies dont know, in most European countries you are required to drive around with daytime driving lights to make the car more visible. This may include the low beams automatically coming on when the vehicle is started or other additonal white/yellow/amber lighting. Seems in Aus we are the complete opposite lol.

so what about the mercs that have the LED ones that are on all the time

there called driving lights

what makes it a fog light or driving light?

Fog Lights

•Designed to improve visibility of the road directly ahead of the vehicle in fog or hazardous weather conditions where visibility has been reduced. The Australian Road Rules state that they are not to be used at any other time.

•Front fog lights can emit either a white or yellow light. Rear fog lights must emit a red light.

•Rear fog lights are installed to make a vehicle more easily visible from the rear in fog, mist or hazardous conditions and should be wired independent of the car's other lights.

•Fog lights have a low, flat, wide beam that is meant to illuminate the road below the fog or mist.

•Switch off your fog lights once visibility is clear as they can blind other drivers.

Driving lights

•Have a powerful beam that projects well down the road and are used to supplement high beam, especially when driving in country areas.

•Should be wired to only operate when high beam is used.

Headlights

•Must be switched on when driving between sunset and sunrise

•When there is not enough daylight to be able to see a person wearing dark clothing at a distance of 100 metres.

High beam

•Used on any road, even if there are street lights

•Must be dipped to low beam when a vehicle coming toward you is within 200 metres

•Must be dipped to low beam when driving 200 metres or less behind another vehicle.

Daytime running lights

•DRLs are bright, white, forward-facing lights that improve the forward conspicuousness of vehicles in the daytime

•Usually activated automatically when the engine is running

•DRLs are the same as the main headlights.

So really makes you wonder if you wired in the series II "foglights" to turn on when the main low beam turned on whether you could argue to a cop they are daytime running lights. Really, how could they prove it on the side of the road that they weren't?

NRMA Motoring & Services commissioned a study of Daytime Running Lights in 2003 which suggested that they should be standard on all vehicles as they could save lives and prevent injuries by increasing vehicle visibility.

Bit more food for thought to go with my original post about Europe.

Edited by PM-R33

ok i've been told off many times driving through booze busses for having my "lights next to my indicators" on my r33 series 2 on.

now reason i dont call them fog lights are because i believe they are not!

* fog lights in the front of a vehicle are usually yellow in order to penetrate fog as white light simply reflects and becomes worse in foggy conditions

* fog lights on the rear of cars are usually red to penetrate fog so you are visible to cars behind you in foggy conditons

both are only allowed to be used during adverse weather conditions and must be switched seperatly to normal operating lights

HIGH BEAM driving lights must also be switched on seperatly to normal operating lights or switched on similtaneously with highbeam headlights and must not be used within 200m of other cars or in built up areas from what i understand

now there is no ruling for LOW BEAM driving lights (which i believe the R33 s2 lights fall into)

there is no adjustment in the s2 low beam driving lights, they are fixed and as a test i had my low beam headlights perfectly alligned using a certified machine to vic roads standards and the r33 s2 low beam driving lights are actually lower then the low beam headlights, but have a slightly wider spread, which is great around where i live for lighting up the side of the road where waiting wombatsor kangaroos might be lurking

wow... maybe mines been removed, coz i looked and couldnt see any form of adjustment :) oh well i stand corrected.. still belive they are low beam driving lights, which there is no mention of in the rule book

i still dont understand the difference between white driving lights and white fog lights, and if driving lights are meant to be used with high beam why every new merc i see has them on..

its easier just to not give a shit and eat my left over pizza

Most lights you see on Euro cars are the Daytime Running Lights, such as the Audi LED strips, BMW Angel eyes etc. If you google images Daytime Running Lights you will see what I mean. Not many cars actually have Driving Lights. They have Daytime Running Lights or Fog Lights.

But word on the left over pizza lol.

Edited by PM-R33

Not many cars in the UK have yellow fogs there white and classed as anything below the standard lens i also think there is some height argument. But what ever it holds a $50 odd fine and 3 point on your licence. If you say you didnt know you had them on you get done for driving without due care

There are gray areas as any new car passed to be sold in the EU, is legally allowed to be sold in the UK as well but it that dose not mean by the strict letter of the law it is legal

for example HIDS are actually illegal in Britain but many cars now come with them stock

the mini one actually has to darker tints from the garage stock

Number plates found on Alfas to side were illegal this has been changed though