SAU Community

Japan Roadtrip - Photos of Tokyo Autosalon 2004 and more

Blitz

franks:

I didn't conveniently misquote you on anything... "100% of performance cars"? What other cars should be displayed at an autosalon? Can I enrol my parents standard magna executive at the next one? lol

Merli:

based on what franks is suggesting (that there may be other cars at autosalon other than performance cars) I feel that your last comment "The term "ricer" therefore cannot be applied to ANY of the cars there" becomes null and void.

As such, I still think "...many of them SHOULD probably be labelled rice cars".

Note: I wasn't suggesting japs COPIED aussies - just that they do the same thing as aussies - kind of disappointing really.

red900ss:

"So this wing is functional????" ... thanks - I haven't had a laugh like that in ages - well at least since I read the "calls of the day from ando" thread anyways! hehehe

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...light=r33deviat

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate t-wings - I've seen imperical data that proves they improve performance. Of course, unless you drive your car on the streets like you're lapping at tsukuba... perhaps the 'silly mod' tags are appropriate.

I've mentioned it before, but again - the autobacs r33 is an audio project only, and has nothing to do with performance (I mean, with all that gear - why bother?)

one day I'll get around to posting my pics - all FD rx7s though!

Following on from Frank and Merli, Japan has a very big market to cater perhaps the biggest for owners chasing performance to show...and TAS is a car and goods show. So there obviously will be cars fitted with kits to demonstate their look and cars fitted with parts to show their potential. These are what we call shop demo cars. No personally owners cars are shown at TAS. The only body kitted cars with no go you will find in Japan are kei cars, and their owners vary to females making them looking all cute to males who want to look like yankees. I can understand the female fixation for cute but the guys with the loud mufflers they are probably bozuzokus who have grown out of their scooters...I'll leave it at that. There are also VIP vans and sedans but these are SPL cars...with serious sound system. Can't say I'm a real fan to what they do but some do have the performance to even smack a high performance car to shame. Ultimately in every culture there will be ricers...get over it. I hear there is a rice show, there your more then welcome to point and laugh.

That wing on the Z is infact the Nissan JGTC500 car which will be replacing the GT-R in their campaign this year, I believe it is very functional. Following on from Brian's (DaiOni) point full under carriage panel have also been proven to shave 0.2-0.5sec of a 1/4mile...as tested by on a FC3S...more noticably shaving off up to 2secs in acceleration between 130-160km/h.

Also I believe you guys that have now visited Japan can now understand why somethings are...

Anyone care to shed light on how this adds performance?

http://members.optushome.com.au/hulmer/DSC01158.jpg

attachment doesn't work, but I assume you're talking about the gull winged Yashio Factory S15...

That car probably puts out well over 500hp (very conservative estimate)... How can you call it rice? It has the power to backup it's looks.

The HKS Drag GTR has enough stickers to cover a QANTAS 747-400... They don't add performance, would you call that car "rice"??

You need to go back and re-learn what the term "ricey car" means. In fact, most people do. The term is now applied to every single non-performance enhancing modification done to a car, which is utterly ridiculous.

If a car has the balls to backup it's looks, no matter how outlandish, offensive or stupid... IT'S NOT RICE.

The fact remains you are branding the S15 in question as rice when it has been heavily modified in the way of serious engine work and serious bodywork. This is a show car - modified in every area. Had the scissor doors, paint and stickers being present with no engine work to speak of then perhaps, the term rice may apply.

This isnt the case in this situation

hrm ... i believe the scissor door call was made in reference to the "all mods were put onto the car for the sole purpose of performance" statement ...

in light of this, i think those doors were made from carbon fibre hence they were put on for weight reduction purposes ;):):D

finally someone recognises what I'm saying here..... i don't think the entire car is rice, but that some of the mods are rice.

i had a feeling the doors were made of carbon fibre (thus weight is reduced, power to weight ratio increased = performance increased. i'm also aware of carbon fibre heat reduction properties, but I haven't mentioned that here as I can't see the benefit of that property in doors)

but carbon fibre doors could have been installed utilising the standard door operation. they did not HAVE to change to scissor doors. If anything, the pneumatics required for scissor doors would have increased weight and thus advantage of carbon fibre becomes null and void.

what would the cost be to change to scissor doors? could that money not have been BETTER spent elsewhere? (e.g. better set of tyres, more tuning, weight reduction, upgraded turbo etc)

what would the cost be to change to scissor doors? could that money not have been BETTER spent elsewhere? (e.g. better set of tyres, more tuning, weight reduction, upgraded turbo etc)

I give up... It's like talking to a brick wall. Your definition of "rice" obviously isn't going to be corrected, so I'm not going waste my time. :Bang:

Merli, I think the issue is perception. We all perceive things differently, hence the issue of whether scissor doors on a car that will run 11s is rice vs. scissor doors on a excel.

My perception is you and Nick have very strong feelings about this! :bahaha:

Merli, I think the issue is perception. We all perceive things differently, hence the issue of whether scissor doors on a car that will run 11s is rice vs. scissor doors on a excel.

My perception is you and Nick have very strong feelings about this! :bahaha:

You're right in that it depends on how you define the term "rice". Unfortunately, the common definition is WRONG.

It all started with a kid at school drawing up cartoon drawings in class showing a kid with a Honda Civic with bodykit, ridiculous spoiler, huge wheels and a fart-can exhaust..... and his dog "Mugen".

http://www.riceboypage.com/index.html

Click on "The Adventures" to read the original comic strip.

Generally, Rice-Boy will start out with a car that was not meant to go fast (typically a Honda Civic), and attempt to "fix it up," usually consisting of aftermarket rims, lowering springs and an aftermarket exhaust system with a large exhaust tip.

They are more concerned with the image of speed than they are about actual performace.

Now, the term "rice" has mutated into such a state that ANY car with ANY non-performance enhancing modifications is considered rice.

Your car runs 8s? Awesome... OH!!!! Is that a carbon fibre bonnet I see? RICE-BOY!!! RICE-BOY!!!!

It angers me that no matter how fast your car is, it doesn't matter anymore. All people care about is that it has goddamn stickers down the side. As long as you have any asthetic modifications to make your car LOOK nice/different/unique, your car is deemed "ricey", it doesn't even matter if it laps Eastern Creek in 30 seconds or does the standing quarter in 3 seconds.

It's still "rice" :D

:Bang: :)

interesting link merli.

i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on our definitions of rice. i understand your definition, but i just don't agree with it.

to help you understand my perception of rice, I thought maybe I should provide some examples of what i consider rice, and what's nice.....

rice: http://www.truckxpressions.com/accessoryga...pinning_rim.htm

nice: http://www.gruppe-s.com/Advan/advanwheels.htm

I don't agree with ... "As long as you have any asthetic modifications to make your car LOOK nice/different/unique, your car is deemed: ricey"... to me, performance is what counts, not the look. but as some point, i just think, "gone too far - that's rice"....

it's quite funny / ironic really, so many ppl are trying so hard to make their car different / unique - they are no longer original - they are copying what others what other ppl do... lol