SAU Community

Will I Lose My Oc When Wiping Hdd;s?

25GTT

Hi Guys,

with all my BSOD issues with the latest Flash Player i am looking at wiping everything off going to Win 7 and starting again. In doing so will i lose my OCing settings in Bios?

Nah it has been OC'd for close2 years now. Its a dual core e8400 running at just 3.3ghz on an aftermarket cooler, its barely even pushing the envelope. All temp settings are fine.

It only BSODs on me when watching you tube, or any movie file directly from the net. i think there is a clash somewhere between flash player 10.1, catlyst control centre and maybe even g19 gaming keyboard.

Ok can anyone help? this is the error i am getting......

Product

Windows

Problem

Video hardware error

Date

26/07/2010 12:40 PM

Status

Not Reported

Description

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.3.0.768.3

Locale ID: 3081

Files that help describe the problem

WD-20100726-1238.dmp

sysdata.xml

Version.txt

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: 873ED510

BCP2: 8C9265E6

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 00000000

OS Version: 6_0_6002

Service Pack: 3_0

Product: 768_1

Sounds like a video card fault - take it out and reseat it.

Could also be the PCI-e slot failing as well, so try another PCI-e slot (if you have more than one)

Seriously guys, we get better, faster tech support on SAU than we do when we have to call up Optus for example ;)

check for latest drivers directly on the nvidia or ati etc website, vendor websites are often not upto date. If you already have the latest driver id suggest getting drivers from a couple revisions ago. Another alternative is if its only happening when on the net try using a different browser until a new version of flash is out. Due to that vulnerability recently I assume the release of 10.1 was rushed

He's already tried the software route - im pointing fingers @ hardware issues now we've been given some more detailed info.

Seriously guys, we get better, faster tech support on SAU than we do when we have to call up Optus for example ;)

lol f**k a call centre off - here you are getting people who've done this for years in practical - not just on paper like most guess-centres.

:P

No Sh*t, i must say your assistance from all of you guys is unbelievable, awesome work you loT! saves me a call to India thats for sure :-)

Ok tomorrow morning will pull out the gfx card, try different pci slot, uninstall drivers on gfx and try again.

Edited by 25GTT

No Sh*t, i must say your assistance from all of you guys is unbelievable, awesome work you loT! saves me a call to India thats for sure :-)

Ok tomorrow morning will pull out the gfx card, try different pci slot, uninstall drivers on gfx and try again.

Do it this way.

- Uninstall

- Reboot/Load Windows

- Shutdown once computer is idle

- Remove GPU and sit on table

- Turn on/Load Windows

- Check Hardware (type: "Device Manager" into Win7 Search, hit enter) and ensure there is no device listed under "Display Adaptors". If there is something still listed - disable it.

- Shutdown once computer is idle

- Install GPU into another PCI-e slot

- Turn on/Load Windows

- Once PC is idle, then load driver

See how you go then and let us know..

It's a specific order i know, but you need to follow it this way to get Windows to recognise correctly a device has been fully removed and is sitting in a new slot at times

Sometimes you don't have to do all the B/S above, but I've seen my own PC crack the shits if i didn't do this on one occasion.

After that - repeat the above with another GPU if you have one, trying ALL slots on the mobo and then see.

give it a clean and underclock first, sometimes can be a f**ked fan on the video card (easiest way to eliminate is to try a different one).

For example, I've had my 4830 overclocked for a year, but started to get artifacing and freezing in games. Underclocking the VRAM clock 20mhz fixed this.

Did you make sure the PCIe clock was still at 100 when it was OC'd? Might have been fine in XP/Vista but issues have shown up in 7.

I love my Classified board and being able to disable each PCIe slot individually.

Also what version of the ATi drivers and CCC were you running?

Nismoid - Awesome mate, was going to do it this morning but am now at work, am going to do it now friday night step by step as you mention. Might just check my gigabyte board specs as well to see if i have another PCI slot.

Div - ok i am sure it was catalyst 10.6, i only re updated it about 2 weeks ago so its the newest version, as the older version was doing the exact same thing. When i OC'd i remember you guys saying to make sure the pcie clock stays at 100 so i set it at that but will double check everything. OK just noticed there is now a 10.7 so donwloading now

Boz - its not overheating at all, it only restarts when a youtube (flv file i think they are) is played

its just weird, i have had the 5870 now for about 3 - 4 months, didnt have a prob until the new flash player was installed.

THanks again guys for your help, will let you know how i go with all of this on Friday night

yep removed and installed flash umpteen amount of times. no steam etc.

going to remove the vid card as mentioned, if no luck this bad boy gets a wipe, win 7 and a 64GB SSD. if i have the dough might even go new MBoard and i5 setup.

download driver sweeper and remove all drivers and download up to date versions of them :) fairly common problem, after updating my drivers my computer wouldnt boot.. so downloaded driver sweeper ran in safe mode, removed all drivers and booted up in normal mode again.. worked fine.. installed drivers again.. worked fine..

UPDATE

Ok guys an update on this, so i spent about an hour and a half tonight mucking around removing and installing removing drivers again.... GOOD NEWS, well kinda.....

removing all of my 5870 drivers off the system i can now view you tube etc i then reinstalled adobe flash player 10.1 and i could still view your tube. INSTALLED THE LATEST VERSION 10.7 OF ATI DRIVERS AND IT CRASHED!!

So i can now bring it down to the ati drivers clashing somewhere in the system...

Where to from here? should i keep on uinstalling the ati driver until i find one old enough (maybe 10.2?) that doesnt clash??