SAU Community

V36 Hard Drive Music Player

Some (all?) 370GTs come with a hard drive built in to store songs

So a question to owners of 370GTs with such a system fitted - how hard is it to load songs onto the hard drive?

Some (all?) 370GTs come with a hard drive built in to store songs

So a question to owners of 370GTs with such a system fitted - how hard is it to load songs onto the hard drive?

Insert normal audio CD, press Copy..

That sucks.

Can you load MP3 CDs/DVDs as well?

Yeah I just burn mp3s to a CD and pop that in.

The drive can also read DVDs, so it might be possible to burn the MP3s to a dvd-r and play off that. Haven't tested it but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Edited by MadMike

The drive can also read DVDs, so it might be possible to burn the MP3s to a dvd-r and play off that. Haven't tested it but don't see why it wouldn't work.

That's good to hear.

What's the capacity of the HDD?

Can you create playlists using the music stored in the HDD?

How do you manage the songs? Let's say you want to delete an album. Do you have to individually delete all the songs or can you delete the entire album in one go?

drive is a toshibe 30 gig item split 10/10/9. there are people that are hacking them (look at mg37.com and toss toshiba hard drive into the search key.) to take bigger drives.

as for managing the thing - no idea. I have a spare 30gig drive here that I intend to fiddle with at some point. (yes it has V36 software on it.)

Same here, I should try DVD at some stage.. CD with MP3s were more then enough for me at this stage. It is only a weekend toy.

That's good to hear.

What's the capacity of the HDD?

Can you create playlists using the music stored in the HDD?

How do you manage the songs? Let's say you want to delete an album. Do you have to individually delete all the songs or can you delete the entire album in one go?

I found you have to delete one song at a time. My car was delivered with the usual Japanese favorites, ABBA The Beatles etc and lots of Japanese songs. I then found a way to erase all the songs on the drive in one go but as i had no clue what I was reading on the screen i guess i got lucky. You can also play music from the compact flash card reader. So far I have tested and recognised an 8 gig card. not sure if it actually sees all 8 gig though as i only had a few albums on to test.

Any english instructions on which buttons to press to delete/copy?

While the song is playing press the icon on the touch screen in the bottom left corner. That takes you to a menu on which you select the second option from the top. Then it asks you in Japanes to confirm delete and you change from no to yes (in Japanese). It's fairly easy but time consuming to delete individual songs.

If your brave (like me) i messed around until i got an option to delete something and selected yes or no again. It then deleted all songs from the hard drive and i am guessing it said please wait (in Japanese) on the screen because it locked up for 30 seconds or so. I probally couldn't find it again and would have to play for a while. Are you in Vic?

from what i have read & tested the hard drive doesn't copy MP3 (data) CD's, only Audio CD's.

Hmm

Do V36s come with card readers for Mp3 playback?

Honestly, it's a little bit of a pain in the ass, but once they are loaded in it works great.

I simply just used my itunes to burn 10-20 CD's then just loaded them in one by one over the week till they were all in there...

Another option is just to bluetooth stream from your ipod/iphone (which works great also).

There is also a step up from this which is the ipod connection but unfortunately from what i can tell an ipod adapter for the V36 doesn't seem to exist

(with the cable in the US you can actually control your ipod via our scroll wheel and touchscreen)

Edited by loz-tuned

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the overpriced iphone composite cable so I usually just play music off that now or watch my itunes stuff on the screen

MP3 cd will play but doesn't record, can't be bothered trying to load them

Cds will auto record if I haven't played them before

music box came with contemporary j-music which is fun to listen to when I want a change in music

only found out how to delete tracks one at a time, tried the same trick in the music box overview screen with all the album names but no luck

any idea what the limitation on the cf cards are?

i loaded about 13gb worth of songs onto a 16gb cf card. the player can on see the first 37 folders :(

other than that, it works great btw.. instant load just like the hdd. no waiting for discs to spin up.

Edited by SyKRyD

Think there is a max number of songs it can read something like 512

any idea what the limitation on the cf cards are?

i loaded about 13gb worth of songs onto a 16gb cf card. the player can on see the first 37 folders :(

other than that, it works great btw.. instant load just like the hdd. no waiting for discs to spin up.

• 2 weeks later...