SAU Community

5 Gas Emission Testing

dcv2.0

Ok Firstly i appologise if this topic was covered elsewhere, i could not dig up any info.

So i basically got my car together over the past 9months into what is considered registerable state. The last thing required for the engineer and pits is the 5 gas emission test.

Does anyone know any places that do this, given the engineer could not point me in the right direction i thought i would ask on here.

Also given my mild settup (gt35,700cc injectors, microtech and standard cat) what are the chances of passing this. If they are slim what are my options ( in terms of better cat, better tune ect.)

Advice or prior experience would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

D

lol dude you need to give us more info than that, I love people that ask questions with gosh darn all background info...

What car? What engine? Is it tuned or not? How much power/boost? How many kms? Healthy motor?

-Standard cat won't do the trick... If I was you I'd get your hands on a euro complaint cat or similar quality (3' high flow cats can still pass emissions - just ask me!) depending on the age of your car (1989 R32 RB20 wont need as tight arse emissions output as say an 2002 R34 RB25 neo...). Make sure the cat is located nice and close to the turbo, less than 2m, so it heats up nice and quick and works best. Put it in the stock position or closer for the best chance of passing. An exhaust shop should have no problem with this, I'd recommend Shawn @ Carline Mufflers Balcatta.

-Get the tuner to tune your microtech for emissions testing, Andrew from Hyperdrive knows such tricks. If it means you have to have two maps tuned, to run one for emissions (i.e. a tight arse map with a slightly lean tune and retarded ignition timing) and one for normal driving (i.e. a more agressive tune). All it should take is 5 mins and a laptop to swap between the two when you get home from the testing.

-Make sure all the factory emissions gear is in place (evap canister etc.) and you have fresh-ish plugs and clean injectors.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the tune and the cat IMO. Everything else helps, but talk to a tuner about your requirements.

As for where the testing is done, ring the DPI and find out, they know all.

Good luck bro!

thanks for your reply

Sorry for the lack of info, it is an RB26, microtech tuned for 18psi, very rich tune judging by my fuel consumption.

Motor has done about 90000km's and is very healthy. Im not looking for a performance cat just one that is very good at reducing emissions. I mean all the makers state they are good but like everything else that may not be the case hence why im looking to find out who has passed this test with similar mods and what cat they were using.

Mild hi-jack here.

Say I buy a car that from factory, came with a turbo, but this was a non turbo model, and then I purchased and installed all the original turbo gear. Would I have to do an emissions test?

Depends what you're talking about. If you mean "turbo gear" as in complete engine, box, breaks, suspension etc... then no, it wont need anything in the way of emissions testing, just an engineer's report for the conversion.

But if you put all the RB25DET gear onto an RB25DE (injectors, manifold, turbo, dump, ECU etc...), then yes, you'll need an engineer's report and an emissions test. This is because regardless of the fact that an RB25DE is almost identical to a DET, you are still modifying the original engine with performance gear, thus altering its emissions.

Im not looking for a performance cat just one that is very good at reducing emissions. I mean all the makers state they are good but like everything else that may not be the case hence why im looking to find out who has passed this test with similar mods and what cat they were using.

I see where you're coming from, but the fact is, the stock cat is made for sock power levels, not the ~350kw it's probably making now. And apart from being super restrictive, its possibly almost 20 years old depending on the model of '26 it is, and won't be working anywhere near the way it did when the GTR/stagea came off the showroom floor... Any decent cat from a known brand will do fine so long as its compliant, if it comes marketed as 'euro 3' compliant, then it is, the only thing that differs, is it's flow rate. i.e. Performance cats are still VERY efficient and almost any aftermarket cat is better than the stock piece of shit.

As for other people's experiences, I can't help you here, I have no experience with modified R26s, only my x-trail hahah

I actually thought the same about the cat given it's age, I was looking at a magnaflow one, but I rang around today a few tuning places including the one I use and they all recomended the stock cat regardless of power. The only concern all had was the ecu which I'm trying to replace. I will go for a test as is and see the outcome I guess.

me and a friend managed to pass a 5 gas but only just, was a forged sr20, stock cams, gt3082 top mount, run of the mill highflow cat, we told tuner to keep in mind we were gonna do an emmission test and he took that into account and we passed first go basically

its not a hard test to pass, they didnt test the car on full boost so it doesnt really matter wat turbo ur running, aslong as ur tune is decent and ur cat is working you will be ok

all tests were done in nuetral on idle and also with revs raised for quite some time ( quite a dumb test but works for me :D;) )

late model XR6 turbo cat, stock cams, and a good tune based around passing emissions and you should be good to go (you may require a couple of tunes to get it right)

E85 helps a lot too.