SAU Community

T3 Turbo....

DJ984

Do I have to change the manifold for a T04?

I don't really need anything too big so the TD06 might be out... i only want a little upgrade... how big of an upgrade would this be?... i'd prefer to be able to keep the stock manifold for now...

GT2530 + 300zx T3 = int. wastegate?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not entirely sure, you may be able to use the standard manifold with an adapter plate for T04/TD06, depending on size, but I'd think it'd be inefficient.

It all depends on power goals, if you want a small upgrade a VG30 T3 or RB25 turbo is marginally better than the stock turbo. They're all internally gated so no messing around, more or less bolt on.

You do not need a big turbo to hit 12 seconds. Big turbo means big lag. Small turbo means little lag. You need a front mount intercooler due to more heat. You need to manage the fuel and air ratio. If you use a t28 with a outlet from s14 or s15 (about $88 US on ebay) and boost to .9 bar (or 1 bar with front mount)with stock fuel system and 3 inch exhast. I see no problem. You loose pressure with front mount intercooler. I have a greddy on my car. I got so good torque from it. A good upgrade is a S-AFC and get it tune at a dyno.

DJ, the 25's turbo is a upgrade from your R32's stocker (not smaller).

What is the deal with running boost increasing mods with the stock turbo? My buddy's S14 we are running with my old 20 (see "Old Platform" in sig for visuals) is coming up to 13psi now with only filter and 3" turbo back exhaust (no cat). Will we be able to upgrade to a FMIC without threatening the ceramic turbine since we are already close to 1 bar?

We were thinking of running a T3 turbo, like DJ was thinking about, with a steel impeller as an inexpensive safety buffer while we prepare the rest of the systems to accept a larger turbo later.

Ok, i've gotta break everything down as i read so that i'll understand.... lol

I realise i don't NEED a big turbo for quick 1/4's and i realise the bigger the turbo, the more lag... that's all kool... which is why i only wanted a small increase.

I am planning to put on a front mount before i up the boost so that's all good too...

So does that mean i use a T28 exhaust side and an S14/15 compressor side?... or vice versa? what is the turbo on these silvias?

T28 exh side = smaller = faster spool?... (need help in these areas)...

And as RBsileighty said: I was actually planning the steel wheels etc to make more boost safer...

So basically, instead of getting another turbo at all... i could just do the steel wheel job on mine, have it hi-flowed and run with that.... worth it? how much?

im about to put a r34 turbo with steel exhaust wheel on my car(running 14psi) as well as gtr fuel pump and neo6 injectors

i have a pod and a bigger i/c (arc bolt on upgrade for r34) which is still sidemount.

so ill let u know what sorta figures i get out of that

Just a thought... what if i put a T04 compressor on my current/standard (T3) exhaust?

this would mean a bigger compressor spooling up at the same speed as my current set-up...

Can this be done?... or what other compressor housings could i use...

Based on what you have said, it sounds like a good high flow may be your best option. Its likely to give you another 40-50rwkws.

When they high flow turbos they typicaly machine the std housings to accept bigger wheels, and sometimes use housing off other turbos with a more desirable A/R. You will find that generically they will all fit a steel T3 turbine wheel and a TO4 compressor wheel (what hp you are after will dictate the trims of the wheels)

As for running 12s with a high flow on an RB20, my thoughts are thats a big ask. Unless with the std turbo you are already running well into the 13s, then i dint think the extra power will help you into the 12s. Clutch/diff/susp/tyres are a bigger variable then the power you are making.

As for spooling up at the same speed with a TO4 compressor, they are a physically bigger and heavier wheel, so require more airflow to get them spinning, so no i dont think that even with the std exhaust turbine it will have the same response. Also you will most likely want to change the std turbine wheel as they are the most likely part to fail on the RB20 turbo.

If you want to see what a TD06 does for an RB20 then PM me.

Hey guys... more questions...

does the R34 turbo bolt straight onto the rb20 manifold, will the car require other mods to do this or can it be a straight swap... (bretto)???

The R34 GT-t turbo bolts straight on, no custom manifold work required. Though, I remember being told that when the guy put it on, his boost dropped to 4.5psi, and he needed an EBC. May not be the case in your situation, but who knows?

The advantage of the R34 turbo is that it is newer, and so therefore they have generally does less kilometres. They can go for around $1000.