SAU Community

What Should I Do And Why ?

I have some options which i would like air and get some honest feed back on .

I have R34 and i have been thinking of rebuilding my engine but because i dont have experience in core engine assembly i want to ask the following and ask which is a better option.

Remember i live in africa and dont want to run huge bhp and cant map.

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well.

im thinking of gong with a short block assembly from nissan crank, pistons, rods, rings, bearings and block.

Then using my old head and sump cleaned up .....

Based on the fact that i dont have a great budget this is simply what i can afford.

Then get a new oil/water heat exchanger.

and a new tomei oil pump

and fit a nismo head gasket.

Fact is yes i am broke ive bought a R34 and have to pay it off and fix it .... or sell it .

Im sure few maybe lots of you are in the same situation, or have been in the same sistuation.

So technically i dont want to build a complete motor but im aiming at putting a head onto a engine block and a sump and external equipment.

Rag me if you wish put me down but all im asking is if you were in the same position would you do the same considering africa is close to uk but far from NZ and Aussie and Japan.

this would cost roughly the following

Short block 6 000 usd

Turbos 3000 usd garrett gt2871r's

nismo head gasket set 650 usd

oil/water heat exchanger 350 usd

tomei oil pump 1450 usd

Nismo twin plate clutch assembly 2300 usd

Shipping 1000usd from japan

Total roughly is 15 000 usd

building would be slightly cheaper but the fear of machining not done right and my lack of building experience is also against me.

I would have loved to purchase a unit from rob but he has quoted me for a r32 block and forged internals something like 15 000usd then turbos and clutch and shipping still have to be added. and it becomes oh so expensive ...

Any ways with that being said i would like to hear what you all think

whats wrong with the current engine? depending on your definition of big power.. you probably dont need a forged engine. When you say you cant map it do you mean you cant tune it? which is why there is no mention of injectors and ecu? you wont need most of those mods if you cant tune it..

Jarrod

you could get one done here and shipped ready to drop in for your budget.

Could you ship a core engine across? that would save about 2k so even if you factor 1k to get it here you still come out 1k in front.

another option is to bolt all the stuff to std engine and pay a decent tuner to fly over and tune it, should last and will save you 10's of 1000's

do you need another holiday already Trent? :P

I have some options which i would like air and get some honest feed back on .

I have R34 and i have been thinking of rebuilding my engine but because i dont have experience in core engine assembly i want to ask the following and ask which is a better option.

Remember i live in africa and dont want to run huge bhp and cant map.

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well.

im thinking of gong with a short block assembly from nissan crank, pistons, rods, rings, bearings and block.

Then using my old head and sump cleaned up .....

Based on the fact that i dont have a great budget this is simply what i can afford.

Then get a new oil/water heat exchanger.

and a new tomei oil pump

and fit a nismo head gasket.

Fact is yes i am broke ive bought a R34 and have to pay it off and fix it .... or sell it .

Im sure few maybe lots of you are in the same situation, or have been in the same sistuation.

So technically i dont want to build a complete motor but im aiming at putting a head onto a engine block and a sump and external equipment.

Rag me if you wish put me down but all im asking is if you were in the same position would you do the same considering africa is close to uk but far from NZ and Aussie and Japan.

this would cost roughly the following

Short block 6 000 usd

Turbos 3000 usd garrett gt2871r's

nismo head gasket set 650 usd

oil/water heat exchanger 350 usd

tomei oil pump 1450 usd

Nismo twin plate clutch assembly 2300 usd

Shipping 1000usd from japan

Total roughly is 15 000 usd

building would be slightly cheaper but the fear of machining not done right and my lack of building experience is also against me.

I would have loved to purchase a unit from rob but he has quoted me for a r32 block and forged internals something like 15 000usd then turbos and clutch and shipping still have to be added. and it becomes oh so expensive ...

Any ways with that being said i would like to hear what you all think

Didnt you ask this a few weeks ago?

i need to look into some shipping options what are your cheapest options in aussie and new zealand.

i did ask a few questions a few weeks ago but more along the lines of building motors and not buying prebuilt or almost built as i cant take the risk to build as i was stupid to try do this.

so i want to put a strong motor in i beleive there was a nismo fine spec engine for sale but as the cost is a bit too much i will try go for something cheaper.

i need some options on what i should be thinking of doing can some people give me some prices

rob from ripz quoted me 15k but this was a forged assembly.

the tomei oil pump is merely a precaution as the oil pump i had krapped itsself and if i go with a sub assembly block it wont come with a oil pump so i can go for a good pump.

hence the reason i feel the need to go for such a nice spec oil pump even on a krap build that wont be making more power then 400bhp as ive heard too many factory oil pumps dying .

i thankyou for your input and wait to hear some more info from you all.

kind regards

adam

Mate if you only want what, 280-300rwkw, you could basically do that on a stock bottom end.

Realistically pistons are a bit of insurance, but at the end of the day detonation is detonation, and it will kill your motor either way.

Especially considering you cannot tune.

The oil pump dying issue is blown massively out of proportion here unfortunately. Yes some have failed, but out of the 1,000's installed every year, without full disclosure (things like limiter bashing & tune related) then its even less again.

Highly unlikely you'd bust a pump if you have half a brain and dont drive the car balls on 8,000rpm everywhere.

Honestly if it was me?

Just have a factory rebuild done.

Install steel wheeled factory turbos and simply be happy with 250rwkw on a factory ECU which will at least give you some known reliabilty.

That is the most cost effective solution for you, without and added risk or failures which i can see will occur in the future unfortunately.

n1 crate motor, bolt on -9's - tune it and just drive the damn thing, most reliable 330kw at the wheels ur gonna get which is more than what u want ! africa is the last place id want to own a gtr in haha

lol some same page thinking.

should i buy a complete motor or just the short block sub assembly from japan??

the head is what costs alot from what ive been told?? so im going to try have my head line bored in south africa and then reshim and fit a stock sump or wing but def not a stock oil pmp abbey motorsport recon first change your pump best thing you can ever do to your motor

IMO the N1 crate motor is the biggest waste of money possible, all the cost of a proper build - with all the factory faults still.

Still does not solve the issues of tuning... Thats the biggest issue IMO.

You dont need to touch the head mate - who are you getting your advice from? Whoever it is, stop.

They are sending you on a wild money goose spending spree! N1 oil pumps by and large, are fine as i stated above.

when my last engine failed .... a N1 crate motor from japan apparently a rebuilt unit, the head had some damage on the cam shaft journals they are slightly scared and have some score marks on the cam caps not actually the journals seats where the oil feed is from.

So i was thinking of getting it fixed as i can run the head like that but i wouldnt take the risk ... would you even though its less then 1 thou over size?

Then re assemble and do the clearances?

then assemble to a new block sub assembly from japan for the sake of keeping the nur engine as my car is a Vspec II nur ??

and run a slightly larger sump ?

With the tomei oil pump and also not forgetting a head restrictor ?

Would i need restrictors for the turbos garrett gt2871r's ?

Thanks for the info guys .

I really appreciate it.

The score marks arent deep maybe light like some scratching when you run a ball pen along a soft peice of would i'd say eve half the depth of that...

Not sure how to measure them as i am not a machinist but i'd say less then half a thousand of an inch.

The cam shafts how ever were worse for wear being damaged so badly that they had dropped in size on the cam shaft journal facing about 2 thousands of a inch maybe more.

The cam shaft housings arent over size by alot less then a thousand of a inch.

But still thinking for peice of mind if i am going to install some new cam shafts then we might as well lightly line bore and then re shim and set cold cam clearances on intake and exhaust valves.

I will try and take some pics and post them online and show you how bad the scoring is.

Thanks very much for your help

I know a N1 motor is a waste of money but i would like to keep the car with a 24U block at least as thats a stronger block and what makes a good foundation for the car then add a stronger oil pump and add a few more stronger bits and peices.

Thanks for that advice though ..