SAU Community

Front End, Sign Of Past Damage?

JPCR33

hey guys

was lookin at a gtst the other day, looked pretty clean really considering buyin it however when i pulled the leaver under the dash and went round the front to pop it open, normaly you can get to the leaver and pull it and the bonnet is open

but in this case i had to manually lift it up a bit before i could get to the leaver and pull it open

does this mean past accident damage? also was a series 2 but had the stock grill with the black mesh and the red "S" badge on it, if that helps in anyway

Thanks for the help

There may just be a little slack in the cable from adjusting for whatever reason, but imo (I am by no means an expert) the frontal length of the car has changed which indeed may be due to damage since the slack might be caused by compression from ie. an accident closing the distance from the front to the cabin. Did you inspect the chassis rail or the like and were the body lines perfectly straight?

ah k thx for the replies guys

i had a pretty good long look at the car, all pannels alligned etc, paint was probs better then expected so im thinking maybe it was in an accident, but just wanted to clarify with the bonnet poping as that stuck me as being really wierd, but ima check it out again and ill look closer this time to the chassy and if im still keen ill get a inspection from a racv or state roads who will go over car properly mecanhically and cosmetic damage so look for weld marks under car / behind bars etc to help me make a better decision.

yeh my bonnet is the same..

but really for the price of 33's now evn it has been in an accident and repaired properly.. not really a big deal just panels get it checked underneath for movement but meh.. new clothes dont matter

got a link?

That's a series 1.5

What year was it?

1997...also had the clear garnish in the rear, i can pm u the ad for it if it helps

cos series 2 have colour coated grill with no mesh and garnish is colour coated as well...so im thinking 2nd hand parts were used for accident repair at some stage.

R33 GTST Series 2 had a mesh grill too. The below one was on mine when I bought it. As far as I know they're an option. There is another style one (series 1/1.5?) that is different again. It instead of having square edges in the lower corners it is rounded though. Both have the color coded edges.. actually I think I have mentioned this before somewhere else..

Found it.. See here

yep that the grill, good to see it’s a factory option,

yeah bit weird bout the clear garnish though

the car is at a dealer fresh import so I guess the reason y sits there will neva be found out

but ill get an inspection and see if we can find any weld marks under the car/behind panels as sign of major accident

thanks again guys, ur help is much appreciated