SAU Community

Cops Reporting Traffic Offences When Off Duty?!

Mr_GaZZa

Hey Guys,

Had a very random start to my morning today!!

In a nut shell someone claimed to be a cop on the way to work, he came up beside me at a mergy bit on the freeway

and gave me a few gestures (which at that stage i was like wtf, this guy is crazy.. i haven't cut no-one up or anything, I was one of the many cars stuck in traffic just crawling along, so i grabbed my phone and tired to get his car/license details (incase anything happened)'. Then he was about to fall behind at the mergy bit and he undone his window and claimed I was speeding and said I was going to be f$%ked and flopped some wallet thingy out and said his busting me for speeding because his a cop. But then he noticed I was getting details down, and also claimed he was niking me for that also?!

The speeding bit... Firstly infact I wouldn't of been because traffic on the freeway was 80km and I would of been lucky to even past the couple cars at near 100km mark....

And secondly if this idoit didn't distract me and make gestures i wouldn't of felt the need to record his details incase he

was to do something

But yeah... question

Can they even nik you for speeding with out evidence?

And also in addition to that, how about using ur phone to record a number plate of someone distracting you

and making crazy gestures ( for evidence). Its not like i had pen and paper and I couldn't pull over...

Dude, I'd ignore him, the best he could do is send out a Summons to Court, but without any evidence I'd say he stands no chance.

+11ty

Actually, you could even be slightly pre-emptive about it.. ring up and make a report about someone driving dangerously and impersonating a police officer.

+11ty

Actually, you could even be slightly pre-emptive about it.. ring up and make a report about someone driving dangerously and impersonating a police officer.

Yeah i just did kind of do that...

I just called 131 444 I gave them details on what exactly happened along with rego / car details.

They also got my details also and said they will send it to traffic infringements to view and look into if required.

just hope they are nice about it?!

Yeah i just did kind of do that...

I just called 131 444 I gave them details on what exactly happened along with rego / car details.

They also got my details also and said they will send it to traffic infringements to view and look into if required.

just hope they are nice about it?!

Good work! At the very least, if he is actually a police officer, he will get his knuckles wrapped for being a dick.

If he's not a police officer, he will have real police knocking on his door soon :rofl:

This guy was most likely not a cop.

Making a speeding fine stick these days will take more than the say so (verbal) of a cop. The vehicle would have to have a calibrated speedo.

as for the "to be f$%ked" business. Not acceptable conduct....sounds fake

I've been pulled over by an off duty cop...they are never off duty.

Maybe a paper pusher cop, and thinks he's the real deal?? :rofl:

I also want to know about the rights of recording in any way if something wrong happens. I saw on TODAY TONIGHT show that one car got video cameras front and back installed and recorded a dangerous driving. So I see no reason to do it with your phone or something else. Correct me if I am wrong guys.

A while back I was speeding on the Kwinana by maybe 10km over at most and I had a dude pull up next to me in an old statesman (i think thats what it was). He wound down his window flipped out his badge (this is at 100km+) and yelled out to me "F*cking pull you're head in mate or I'll take you in" so I slowed to the speed limit and was somewhat confused. This d*ck then took off well over 100km/h into the distance. Nothing ever came of it but it would appear it's just a power-tripping thing. I still firmly believe my 10km/h over (which admittedly is still wrong) is still safer than somebody taking their eyes off the road to flash their badge at me, threaten me and speed off at over 100km/h..

Out of curiosity was he a seedy, grumpy looking old dude with facial hair (maybe its the same freak driving around being a jerk)

I wouldn't worry too much bud seems like you did the right thing.

A while back I was speeding on the Kwinana by maybe 10km over at most and I had a dude pull up next to me in an old statesman (i think thats what it was). He wound down his window flipped out his badge (this is at 100km+) and yelled out to me "F*cking pull you're head in mate or I'll take you in" so I slowed to the speed limit and was somewhat confused. This d*ck then took off well over 100km/h into the distance. Nothing ever came of it but it would appear it's just a power-tripping thing. I still firmly believe my 10km/h over (which admittedly is still wrong) is still safer than somebody taking their eyes off the road to flash their badge at me, threaten me and speed off at over 100km/h..

Out of curiosity was he a seedy, grumpy looking old dude with facial hair (maybe its the same freak driving around being a jerk)

I wouldn't worry too much bud seems like you did the right thing.

Took off with over 100km/h?? :rofl:

+1 for the facial description. I will keep that in mind and if that happens to me, I will tell him off. But hope someone bail me out if he turns out to be a real deal. :D

By the way, drive safe this long weekends everyone. There will be lots of actions on the road.

Dont worry about it at all as they are not a cop until you have seen the badge close enough to read the number on it... i had this happen to me as i had a off-duty cop do it to me, he come up to my window at the lights saying i was going to fast, i replied who the hell are you which he replied off-duty officer, asked for his badge or piss off.... he pissed off and i never heard another thing...

NISMOGTT

LOL I like this phrase you said to that guy "who the hell are you"

but yeah guys I ain't really to sure what to expect,

I suppose I'll just wait and see what happens... probably take a few months yeah?

Edited by Mr_GaZZa

fake for sure. i've had people gesture and shit like that a few times, they're always just douchebags trying to take the law into their own hands.

technically you were in the wrong as far as the phone goes, your not allowed to use your phone with your hands whilst driving but its not an arrestable offence....

i've just been through reporting a "hoon" through the police, it took a few months but in the end they simply phoned the guy and told him to pull his head in. they police were actually very helpful.

I had a police woman once telling me to slow down or else at a traffic light. Funny thing is, I wasn't even speeding, I was even doing 50 in a 60 zone because I had just started the car...

Another guy gave me the finger for speeding whilst on the right lane. I opened the window, pointing to the side of the road with a clublock in my hand. He didn't.