SAU Community

Help! Gearbox Stuck

Galois

Unfortunately even if he is liable legally he has the right to fix it: hence I can't just take it and leave without exposing myself. I will however mention I have spoken to the department of fair trading. I'm guessing, just from his attitude which I've picked up on over the last week, he'll tell me to piss off, terminating that contract.

Not keen to mention the shop, feel free to pm me if you're looking at getting work done in the newcastle/lake macquarie area.

That said, the easiest thing to do is know exactly how the job is done, call mechanics recommended repeatedly on here, and ask them in every detail how it should be done. Mark from MRC in castle hill seemed to have a photographic memory, describing in exact and precise detail how to undo the r-clip. It was like he was looking at the same image as I was.

Tomorrow is not going to be a fun day...

Unfortunately even if he is liable legally he has the right to fix it: hence I can't just take it and leave without exposing myself. I will however mention I have spoken to the department of fair trading. I'm guessing, just from his attitude which I've picked up on over the last week, he'll tell me to piss off, terminating that contract.

Not keen to mention the shop, feel free to pm me if you're looking at getting work done in the newcastle/lake macquarie area.

That said, the easiest thing to do is know exactly how the job is done, call mechanics recommended repeatedly on here, and ask them in every detail how it should be done. Mark from MRC in castle hill seemed to have a photographic memory, describing in exact and precise detail how to undo the r-clip. It was like he was looking at the same image as I was.

Tomorrow is not going to be a fun day...

Goodluck champ, mechanic needs a wrench thrown at his head

Edited by kinggtr

Amazing.. if you didn't know better you'd swear he quickly googled the process while he was on the phone with you and come up with the link Johno posted..................

:)

:D

man that mechanic of yours sounds DODGY. avoid avoid avoid. Even if it costs money to fix sometimes it's better to just go YOU ARE NOT TOUCHING MY F**KING CAR AGAIN and go somewhere else, lesson learned.

Had a mob screw up the 100k service on my car after I used them on a recommendation. I think the dude who recommended them has rocks in his head.

Amazing.. if you didn't know better you'd swear he quickly googled the process while he was on the phone with you and come up with the link Johno posted..................

Hey if the mechanic was that keen to know the right answer he'd have my vote, and if my local mechanic did that I'd be a lot happier!

Good point though.

man that mechanic of yours sounds DODGY. avoid avoid avoid. Even if it costs money to fix sometimes it's better to just go YOU ARE NOT TOUCHING MY F**KING CAR AGAIN and go somewhere else, lesson learned.

Had a mob screw up the 100k service on my car after I used them on a recommendation. I think the dude who recommended them has rocks in his head.

Yeah I won't be going there again. I think he picked up on the issue towards the end and didn't charge for the vast majority of the hours he spent on it. I spoke to revolution racing today in newcastle, I'll go see them next week to get an inspection done.

I have the car back now, just glad to have it back to be honest. Even if the clutch is so different I can barely drive it :D

a mechanic mate of mine rings me up for help on skylines, LOL. he knows i spend most of my day on here so if he wants wiring diagrams or fuse box translations, etc he rings me up to get me to look for them.

Hey if the mechanic was that keen to know the right answer he'd have my vote, and if my local mechanic did that I'd be a lot happier!

Good point though.

the smileys afterwards indicated i was being a tongue in cheek, i'm sure he knows what he's talking about just so happens there's a guide saying the same thing.

but yeah, it's good to find mechanics who really know their stuff as opposed to the ones that have only recently evolved enough to pick up a spanner.

i was lucky enough to recieve a phone call from this gentleman last week about this problem....

havent heard back, so hope it all got worked out.

Cheers mate. The mechanic was very convincing, and good about the price. I'm sure he spent an extra 10 hours on my car but only charged 1.5, then gave me that back as a cheque because, after a night's sleep (which often changes opinions), he decided it was the best course of action. He said he knew he'd lost the customer but when he put himself in my shoes, considering I'd talked to a lot of experts and was obviously not happy, he thought that was the best and most peaceful resolution. And after all the conversations I have to admit he still left a good impression.

Have definitely learnt an important lesson though: only deal with skyline experts, and quiz them first :(.

I'm going to call revolution racing in newcastle and ask their opinion when they have a look. Hopefully it all works out fine.

Meanwhile, I have an r33 gtr exedy HD clutch in an r34 skyline, replacing the random, unidentifiable no-name clutch it had when I bought it. The pick up position and distance are SO different I keep embarrassing myself at lights hahaha

Hey guys,

Ok, story so far: My r34 gtt (pull type clutch) went in for a clutch change, the mechanic took everything bar the gearbox off, and that's where we're up to. We CANNOT get the gearbox off. We've tried using crowbars and what happens is the gearbox moves away from the engine before snapping back on to it.

The mechanic reckons it's the clutch and pressure plate grabbing and that the only solution now is to cut a hole in the bottom of the gearbox to get at the pressure plate screws.

Does this sound normal? Surely this isn't a rare problem with these cars?

Thanks in advance

are you sure you went to a mechanic shop, not a butcher shop

i was lucky enough to recieve a phone call from this gentleman last week about this problem....

havent heard back, so hope it all got worked out.

btw thanks for your advice/help/consolation mate lol, it was good to call a few skyline experts to get their input.

are you sure you went to a mechanic shop, not a butcher shop

Butcher for car and hopes/dreams/happiness. It was a sad week.

Haven't found a second hand one and need the import number for the new price, which I haven't bothered with yet.

I'm awaiting inspection, it may end u being fine. Hoping so anyways. There are many and varied opinions of whether it'll be okay lol

Mate, I don't think you should have taken your car back. I would have left it there and told him not to do any more work on it until you sought legal advice. Sounds to me like he hasn't actually fixed anything yet and the car is in a worse condition than when you took it in there.

depending on where the hole is (and size) it is probably fine as long as the corners of the cut are nice and rounded (such as if the corners were done with a drill and then just straight cuts between the holes) so that there isn't a sharp corner for a crack to start. if you have the piece that was cut out to get welded back in would be the best option though.