SAU Community

R34, Engine Dying And Conking Out

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a r34 (enging RB25DET). most mods have been removed, but apparently i have a bigger airflow meter, and bigger intercooler.

Anyways current problem is the car has issues of having loosing all power, crackling and sounding like an overall nuissance and im not moving at all. (ie pedal to the metal and no response). Particuarly round corners and ive noticed on a warmer day. I have changed the spark plugs, done an oxygen sensore check, and recently changed the oil.

The guy who had it before me, has the wrong fuel pump in it (but he just advised to not the fuel fall below a quarter sigh).

Wondering if anyone has had this problem. It has only just started (it started with the backfiring, which the spark plugs solved i think).

Next stop would be to change the fuel filter.. is this the right path??? Any suggestions.

Cheers :D

Edited by MissNiss

Hrrm, do you know what else has been done to the car? I'd be worried that the guy before you didn't have an idea of what he was doing so who knows if he has dodgied up other parts aside from the fuel pump.

If he has changed to a larger intercooler and airflow meter is the car running an aftermarket ecu? Does it have a boost controller? Has the exhaust been upgraded from the turbo back? How many km's has she done?

Normally cutting out problems on 34's are associated with the coilpacks, it's a common problem that the stock ones die after a while and this was the first problem I had with my 34. Upgraded to Splitfires and it was solved but my car was completely stock at the time.

Try and post more info and if you can answer the above questions, I'm by no means a pro I'm learning as well but it will be easier for everybody to help you if you give a little more info.

Hopefully one of the dudes on here can help you out, good luck.

The more I look at the car, the more I realise that the guy didn’t know what he was doing, and was just paying other people to put things in. (which is what I'm trying to avoid, that and I always get the 150% chick surcharge).

I know that he ‘apparently’ upgraded the coil packs but not sure to which ones, ill have a look at them tonight.

I took my car and got it checked for any oxygen/computer erros. And I do have an aftermarket ecu, which I don't think he put in. Which explains the larger and non market airflow meter I have in the car.

He took all the ‘goodies’ off the car, which doesn’t bother me at all, it would just be nice if I put my foot down and actually get a response. But all I think he just did ‘external add ons’ as I call them. Ie bigger turbo, boost control etc.

Reason why I think its fuel related, is that if I let it get to below the ¾ mark it starts to play up. And filling it back up to the top seems to solve my problem. I just don't know if I should go down the whole fuel pump/filter issue. Cause I don't want to put the wrong one in like he did.

Its a bit annoying being in a ‘subtle yellow car’ and coughing and spluttering as I cut people off, and my engine dies on me.

Cheers for your help J

Sounds like you need an experienced and trustworthy shop to have a look over the car.

You really should not be driving the car in this state... if the fuel is leaning out you could have an engine build on your hands in no time.

What state are you in?

Cheers Guys.

Yeah im in SA. So a nice trust worthy shop would be good. :mad:

The car has only done just over 100k (and just did the timing belt change a few weeks ago).

I have someone (back yard style) that can look at doing the fuel change for me. But always takes a few weeks for him to get a look at it, and dont really want something to happen to the engine in the meantime. (i'd prefer to spend that on fixing up the kit).

Thanks heaps