SAU Community

E85 Fuel In V35

Will the car take it?

If any1 has used it, any difference to the regular unleaded. Just curious

I was reading about this the other day but I know just the basics. I'll keep this brief - E85 runs a higher concentration of ethanol and has an octane rating equivalent to roughly 105. I'd say you'll need to get your ECU remapped (as the V35/V36 aren't FlexFuel vehicles) as E85 will require a different AFR and also compression ratio than your normal engine running on petrol. I read about an R35 GT-R having a NIStune which allowed both regular fuel and E85.

You may also need to change your injectors - I've also read that using E85 for a short duration is fine, however, prolonged use may deteriorate the components in your fuel system. There've been a few cases of people running mixtures of fuel (i.e. 50/50 petrol/ethanol) and it works fine for them.

Have a read of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines

Edited by diabolique

Ive been running it in my VQ for about 8 months now, its a great fuel but more suited to high compression engines or high boost turbos. It would be a great option for someone doing a turbo conversion to an NA.

As has been said you will need an Emanage or similar and larger injectors as it requires around 20% more fuel to be injected. You could possibly add up to 40 or 50% e85 to 98 before the engine light would come on but it would only give minimal gains until you can tune for it. There are a few ghetto mods like just fitting 20% larger injectors and adjusting the fuel pressure but these aren't recommended.

You'd need a new fuel pump to ensure you didt run out of room - engine safety first of all. You'd need bigger injectors and a ecu. Also, be known that if your car wasnt designed to run on e85 it can be very corrosive to fuel lines, seals etc... most likely you'd get away with the corrosive part - but good to know either way

You'd need a new fuel pump to ensure you didt run out of room - engine safety first of all. You'd need bigger injectors and a ecu. Also, be known that if your car wasnt designed to run on e85 it can be very corrosive to fuel lines, seals etc... most likely you'd get away with the corrosive part - but good to know either way

Less corrosive than petrol from what I have found, I think most get mixed up with methanol which is corrosive and poisonous. Plenty have been running ethanol for years with no fuel system effects, especially later model cars that are set up for e10 anyway. Fuel pump would be a good idea, Walbro fits in the stock cradle I think, if its like the 350z and Stagea and can run E85 no problems.