SAU Community

Going Oversea For 3 Months

Hey guys

I am planning to go overseas for 3 months. What if I just leave my car in the garage for 3 months will the bettary die when I back? However I am thinking if I disconnected the bettary it will clean the memory of the car, not sure it is harmful or not. Any ideas? :D:)

Hey guys

I am planning to go overseas for 3 months. What if I just leave my car in the garage for 3 months will the bettary die when I back? However I am thinking if I disconnected the bettary it will clean the memory of the car, not sure it is harmful or not. Any ideas? :D:)

I would think if you have an alarm that would be the biggest problem in disconnecting the battery. It is recommended if U go away for more than 4 weeks that U disconnect the battery, however, that doesn't stop it from draining as all batteries discharge over time. First, make sure it's filled up fully with distilled water and is fully charged and then store it in a cool place. Then, the best way to maintain the battery would be to buy a battery charger with a trickle charge facility. I used to work at Jaycar Electronics and they sold some really good value for $$$ car battery chargers. However, I'm sure any other product of similar specifications would do the job, not just Jaycar's (i.e. I'm not promoting Jaycar merely because I worked there).

Just an example of one:

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB...mp;SUBCATID=295

That plugs directly into your mains outlet so it shouldn't be a problem.

It won't "clear" your memory, just reset your clock and erase your radio presets so U should be fine

Edited by diabolique

yeah something like that jaycar maintenance charger would be perfect. otherwise just disconnect the battery. if you take it out of the car do not put it on a concrete surface it will discharge quickly and be ruined. if you must put it on the floor at least put a plank of wood or something between it and the concrete.

it won't hurt your car not having a battery for 3 months.

...if you take it out of the car do not put it on a concrete surface it will discharge quickly and be ruined. if you must put it on the floor at least put a plank of wood or something between it and the concrete.

Hahaha, thats the funniest thing I've heard for awhile, you obviously skipped science at school. :P

try it. the cold surface of the concrete will help speed up your batteries discharge. it's not a matter of science it's a matter of practical experience. but if you know better, go put your battery on the concrete floor of your garage for a week or two and tell me how that works out for you.

try it. the cold surface of the concrete will help speed up your batteries discharge. it's not a matter of science it's a matter of practical experience. but if you know better, go put your battery on the concrete floor of your garage for a week or two and tell me how that works out for you.

The cool surface acts a heat sink for the battery which after a period determined by the ambient temperature will slow down the electrochemical reactions in the battery making them appear flat in the short term. Given a bit of time to warm up, they will recover.

And I do have a battery on the concrete in my garage as we speak, always done it, never an issue.

Are you religious?

The materials that modern battery cases are made of are less condusive to leakage (and better sealed) and from a "modern" battery's perspective, I doubt there will be any leakage or acceleration of discharge by leaving it on a concrete floor. The biggest problem is dirt build up whilst on the floor. When dirt builds up across the terminals, it can form an acidic layer which can carbonise the dirt into an electrical conductor of sorts thereby creating a short circuit of sorts across the terminals which subsequently drains the power a lot faster. From working at Jaycar and dealing with a lot of auto-electricians and mechanics, I've also heard (though I've never seen it proved) that thermal gradients can also redude the life of a battery - i.e. if the surface the battery is sitting on is a lot warmer than the ambient temperature around it.

Appreciate for all advices. :( Think I am going to buy a battery charger. By the way, any other issues need to be concerned? such as engine,transmission,oil..etc. Thanks :(:(

Nah mate, they're all sealed up, you'll be fine. Maybe factor in an oil change when you get back.

Enjoy your trip, don't stress about the car :blink: .