SAU Community

The Problems Begin

J'son

Well my fuel pump died last night. Luckily it just died as I was parking. I went to put the stock one back in, it makes a horrible grinding sound. Got it towed home for free in the end. Trying to get pump out so can get another one monday, and hopefully put it in - and not pay for another towing, and to get somewhere like trojan to do the whole job.

Where do I get a new fuel pump, what should I get and what is it gonna cost me?

Additionally, I can't actually work out how to get the fuel pump out. As in that tight black pastic ring that holds it on. Still to try to pull the rubber hoses off, but losened the hose clamps. Any one able to provide some help and advice.

Additionally, my tire well was full of water, thats always fun *sighs* I'll have to work that problem out also.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a walbro one from trojan. didn't cost too much and they swear by them.

put it in yourself, just unscrew that plastic thing you're talking about by using a long screwdriver on the ribs on the side of the cap and hit the screwdriver to get the thing spinning.

the walbro pump is basically a straight replacement, might need a tiny bit of fuel hose and a hoseclamp to make sure it doesn't ever come off it's braket...

it's either that or get a bosch 040 intank pump. Which requires a tiny bit more work to mount... either way not a big job.

The tyre well - was it the issue I mentioned previously last time you said something about it? Big phat hole in the bottom that's supposed to be plugged.

Yeh there was a small hole. I plugged it, and the wheel well FILLED UP, it was letting it empty, not the cause. I believe the cause is water is coming in behind the rear tail lights (the water that gathers in the boot lid gutter).

I got a walbro one from trojan. didn't cost too much and they swear by them.

it's either that or get a bosch 040 intank pump. Which requires a tiny bit more work to mount... either way not a big job.

That is what was in it and died.. I can get another, and hope it doesn't die again.... I got in and got the old pump out to take with me, and double check it is broken.

Discovered my pump hadn't died. It just choked.

Had it out, and was testing it on a battery, tapped it a couple times, whatever got caught in it came free, and all is good again.

It choked cos when it was installed the teabag off the bottom of the standard pump wasn't put on it, so put that on, and now should be all happy and good.

Will put it back in tonight - *fingers crossed*

Next to sort out the water coming in from behind my lights...

good to hear that about the pump. Just keep an eye on it though.

Yeah, shall do. I don't even think that pump had been in there that long or many km's... But at least I can keep an eye on it, and it is a fixable problem.

Perhaps.

But this is a nice Walbro one, and it seems to work, I've put the filter on the bottom and will give it a shot when get home.. *fingers crossed*

If any issues re-occur, I know where to ask. Why the change in pump Kat? I may be willing to get it as a spare just in case depending on the price.

I'll take all the inside panels out of the boot, and take a look and see if can see where water is coming in by pouring some water into the boot sill. I think the water is running behind the headlights then getting into the boot from there, cos the wood in the back was wet, as was the bottom edges of the side wall carpets near the lights.

I can live with the moisture in the rear lights if I must, but not a wheel well fulla water!

yeah stuff having it full of water. Moisture will be unavoidable though given the age of the plastics and guaranteed hairline cracks somewhere...

Kat is changing her fuel setup as her power/boost requirements exceed the flow capacity of her current setup lol....she should be exceeding 400awkw, so it would seem her pump just can't cope :rolleyes:

hopefully the only issue you have with your pump was that it got plugged up.....if the pump fails though while under high revs/full throttle, be prepared to do some nasty damage to the engine...but it's unlikely if the pump itself is fine.

How much would u want for the old one?

Mine was an in tank walbro - gonna put it back and see if works any way, so fingers crossed now that has been cleaned out, flushed, and a filter put on!

Yep Troy is right, it's not cutting it anymore so it's going to make way for 2 in tank Walbros.

Probably the easiest way to find the leak is to strip all the lining out of the boot and jump inside with a torch while your mum* runs water from a garden hose over the closed boot lid. You can usually see where it's coming in.

* Important note - your mates are no good for this job, they'll leave you in there for sure :D

Oh, and I think I have a spare GTR pump somewhere if you are looking to upgrade sometime.

I can just pour the water myself into the edge around the boot. it definately comes in somewhere behind the tail lights, but can't see how, the lights are all properly tar'd in.

However just noticed the rear panel of the car (sides) are filled with water from recently.. but that was cos I plugged the hole that I thought the water was coming in from - when inface it was coming out of.

I've put the old pump back now that is working, it pumps, but was still not able to start the car. Does it need some sort of priming? it fired over a couple times, but only for a single beat then didn't work... Getting frustrated now, cos the pump is definately working...