SAU Community

How To Repair/respray My Rear Bumper After Being Hit..

Hey guys,

I've attached the photos of the damage to the bumper, its gonna need a respray at least but heres the problem.

The way the last guy put on my body kit he covered all the bolts so I dont have access to simply take off the bar, it would need to be cut off or something.. This panel beater I was talking to said he would need to cut off something starting with E. europhane or something?

So if they take it off and it cracks or something hows that gonna work?

I think they said the excess is $1500 so if it costs less they can pay it, if it costs more they'll need to go through insurance.

The panel beater said they can mask the bar and do it with the bar on, but I'm just thinking since its the other persons fault, maybe I could get them to rip off the bar, if it cracks though and we need to get a new one but we've already given a quote to them hows that gonna work? Plus it may need work on the quarter panel etc if thats affected.. I just have a feeling its gonna cost more then its gonna be quoted to be.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks.

post-42730-1290664830_thumb.jpg

post-42730-1290664833_thumb.jpg

Just leave it? Are you retarded my car is scratched from someone else, after spending so much money to have it resprayed and for the kit and everything you expect me to be like nahhh f**k it?

Plus I got quite a few scratches on the rear bumper so a respray would look nice.

Can someone smart comment please.

Edited by cosmokram3r

Ignor that post mate, its ur car, u had it perfect before someone hit it, you expect to it be fixed like it was before...

I would expect nothing less myself.

Interms of removal I do not have a great idea, it is a bit of a problem that you already gave them a quote though, a quote is there as a guide, you could have a small price difference but you can't have an extra 25% that the other party didn't know about and they thought in the end it was going to be under $1500.

I think for you to be decent in this situation, get the bar sprayed while still attached to the car (making sure any cracks are reinforced) and stick to the quote you gave them as it can be repaired without being taken off - making sure it is exactly as it was.

It is you who wants to "rip" it off, so you could opt for that but don't put that on the other person, you cover the cost of the new rear bar.

gl with it.

Thanks WYTSKY.. I haven't given them the quote yet.. So what I'll probably do is maybe suss out getting a new rear bar, and get the quote for cutting off the old bar and fitting and paint for this new bar..

Yeah the panel beater I spoke to said they dont usually do it but they can spray it while its still attached to the car.. I'm just thinking down the track if I wanna sell my car will people not wanna buy it because the front/side/rear bars are all pretty much attached to the car and you cant take them off? If so, I wanna try fix that, even if its just for the back..

Hmm wander if its possible to pay a bit extra and just have them respray the whole car.. but then again they'd need to take all the bars off yeah?

you'd be paying more than a "bit extra" to do the whole car.

first thing is, did you get the details of the person who hit your car? if not then don't bother going through insurance. the cost to respray a bar by itself should be under $500 and they should be able to do it on the car.

secondly, have you tried cut and polish on it to see how much of the mark is actually paint from the other car? you may find that it is much less noticable afterwards.

I got their address, I lost the scrap paper with all the details they gave me, but I'll just go their house once I've got some written quotes ready. If its under $1500 that'll be easy since they'll probably just give me cash..

So under $500 to make the bayside blue paint, sand it and paint it? I have a feeling its gonna cost more then that?

Nah, not interested in just doing a cut and polish, I want it resprayed since I've got other marks on the bar anyway.

I got their address, I lost the scrap paper with all the details they gave me, but I'll just go their house once I've got some written quotes ready. If its under $1500 that'll be easy since they'll probably just give me cash..

So under $500 to make the bayside blue paint, sand it and paint it? I have a feeling its gonna cost more then that?

Nah, not interested in just doing a cut and polish, I want it resprayed since I've got other marks on the bar anyway.

yeah man. under $500. i got a quote to get the whole side of a car painted (4 panels) with bumpers. was about $1200, and that was metallic paint (very similar colour to bayside blue actually).

the paint aspect of it is cheap since most panel shops mix it up there and will only mix up what they need.

also most places won't sand it back bare since they are painting it the same colour, so the prep time isn't going to be huge.

as for being under $1500 them giving you cash, it depends on whether they have insurance or not. if they do then they will only have to pay their excess, which they will pay to their insurance company and you won't have to pay your excess but you will have to put in a claim with your insurance company and you won't actually physically see any money from the other people as it will all be done through the insurance companies. you will just drop your car off to the panel beater and pick it up when it's done.

yeah man. under $500. i got a quote to get the whole side of a car painted (4 panels) with bumpers. was about $1200, and that was metallic paint (very similar colour to bayside blue actually).

the paint aspect of it is cheap since most panel shops mix it up there and will only mix up what they need.

also most places won't sand it back bare since they are painting it the same colour, so the prep time isn't going to be huge.

as for being under $1500 them giving you cash, it depends on whether they have insurance or not. if they do then they will only have to pay their excess, which they will pay to their insurance company and you won't have to pay your excess but you will have to put in a claim with your insurance company and you won't actually physically see any money from the other people as it will all be done through the insurance companies. you will just drop your car off to the panel beater and pick it up when it's done.

I'm going to say it is going to be more then $500 - depends who you take it to.

About 4 months ago I had a very very minor tap with a vt ss when I was driving an old camry with no abs and they were 3/4 way through an intersection, got scared a truck was going to go through and hesitated and slammed on the brakes... if I was in the skyline I wouldn't have hit her (abs). Anyway... I was pissed off, but I knew if someone hit me on the backside I would want it to be fixed so I admitted to the fault. I asked the women not to go through insurance. Her husband calls me etc etc... he says he will get a few quotes... they ranged from $600-900... I could not believe it but he showed me the quotes... he had chosen really rich places - ones that are recognized Ferrari repairers etc...

this is the damage, most of which is scuffs...

post-36975-1290756058_thumb.jpg

The most expensive part as I spoke to the workshop was mixing and matching the metallic paint (approx $300-400) so to respray extra panel(s) would only be a bit more anyway...

So Lance, if you wanted to spray other things while they are at it I think it would be a good time as long as you cover the addition costs.

Adam

The way the last guy put on my body kit he covered all the bolts so I dont have access to simply take off the bar, it would need to be cut off or something.. This panel beater I was talking to said he would need to cut off something starting with E. europhane or something?

The glue he is talking about it polyurethane, its the glue that is used by the windscreen fitters. Every panel shop uses it. Its great stuff when used in the right places but for holding on a bumpers is just stupid. Its not uncommon for fiberglass bars and side skirts to be fitted with the help of polyurethane ( I have even seen some fiberglass bars held on with 2 screws and some "no more gaps")

So if they take it off and it cracks or something hows that gonna work?

If its a plastic bar then if done carefully it shouldn't crack but it all depends on where the glue is and how much of it there is. Even if the plastic bar does crack they are easy to plastic weld and repair. However if its a fiberglass bar it will most probably crack but all depends on how bad it cracks whether it can be repaired or have to be replaced.

The panel beater said they can mask the bar and do it with the bar on, but I'm just thinking since its the other persons fault, maybe I could get them to rip off the bar, if it cracks though and we need to get a new one but we've already given a quote to them hows that gonna work? Plus it may need work on the quarter panel etc if thats affected.. I just have a feeling its gonna cost more then its gonna be quoted to be.

Being Bayside blue there is a 99% chance that the spray painters will have to blend the colour onto the quarter panels anyways. As for the bar if does crack and cannot be repaired, if you end up going through their insurance company there shouldn't be any problems for the panel beater changing the quote to get a new bar, but it they just want to give you the money you might have a few problems. Have you thought about going through your insurance company and then let the insurance company chase the person at fault up for the money it wont affect your premium or no claim bonus.

Hope any of that helps