SAU Community

What Should My Plug Gap Be?

Ninja gts25t

You want the largest gap that your ignition system will allow for the best burn.

If you develop a missfire you can gap them down (or buy pre gapped plugs) until the missfire stops. Or you can look at your ignition system and see whether it needs time for a replacement.

Standard maximum gap that spark plugs usually come in is a 1.1 gap represented by -11 on the end of the part number.

Most people run a 0.8 gap due to running high amounts of boost or having poor ignition systems.

You want the largest gap that your ignition system will allow for the best burn.

If you develop a missfire you can gap them down (or buy pre gapped plugs) until the missfire stops. Or you can look at your ignition system and see whether it needs time for a replacement.

Standard maximum gap that spark plugs usually come in is a 1.1 gap represented by -11 on the end of the part number.

Most people run a 0.8 gap due to running high amounts of boost or having poor ignition systems.

im running a microtech with 6 bosch coils and a x6 ignition module what should i use?

Depending on how much boost you are running I would try a 1.1 gap and see how you go.

For reference I run Splitfire coilpacks with 0.8 gap NGK plugs (7 heat range) and don't get a missfire with 20psi of boost and nitrous.

Once the plugs get a bit fouled up, then it will miss.

Hence I changed them every 5000km.

Stock boost 1.1, if you get it misfire at high rpm then go down .5 at a time till it doesnt misfire at high rpm.

I was running .8 at 15lb which seemed to work well, the bigger the gap the better so dont go smaller than needed.

There is a thread on plugs and gap size in the forced induction area.

Go copper and replace them every 5 000k, coppers are as cheap as chips.

The expensive ones are made to last along time but they give up performance after a while.

My 2 cents