SAU Community

Anodizing

ylwgtr2

i too think polished stuff is oldhat...ok for hotsrods but kinda crappy for the new cars

What I can't believe is that some kits on the market (the ones made in China) use chrome plated aluminium! I can't understand why someone would do that (other than to cut costs on polishing) One of the best things about aluminium is that it doesn't require any coating (annodizing isn't really a "coating" as I know you would be aware). The worst thing with chrome plating is that it does flake off. It is worse on aluminium as the pressure from the clamps can slightly compress the tube and make the chrome flake easily. Chrome flakes in your motor is not cool!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I can't believe is that some kits on the market (the ones made in China) use chrome plated aluminium! I can't understand why someone would do that (other than to cut costs on polishing) One of the best things about aluminium is that it doesn't require any coating (annodizing isn't really a "coating" as I know you would be aware). The worst thing with chrome plating is that it does flake off. It is worse on aluminium as the pressure from the clamps can slightly compress the tube and make the chrome flake easily. Chrome flakes in your motor is not cool!

Yes that is crap that plating...it looks shithouse too...looks kinda "fake"

ahh just a question force...how did they go with the welds on the piping....did they show up after anodizing?

Welds on the piping? why weld pipes when you've got one of these.......

PM(1).JPG

We did weld on the BOV adapter though, and it comes out fine as long as you use the correct grade welding rod......

PICT0005.JPG

Dont want to drag the thread out anymore...but today i decided that red wasnt the colour....so i de-anodized the parts ....this can be done with good old Drano!!!I decided to go purple.....now this took me 30min to reanodize once stripped

I might take you up on that offer :D

I'm supposed to be my cam covers back tomorrow, if that guy still hasn't done them, I'll just get them back and ship them down to you if you don't mind doing another set in that R34 RB26 Red?

also tell him that the extra money is compensation for the other 100 people that you will be telling not to go and use him

Yeah, know the feeling. These businesses don't know that word of mouth can spread like wildfire and their business reputation can be destroyed in a matter of hours with the Internet. Its not like the old days, most can't get away with shoddy service that much anymore. If you take something in they say "end of today" then that means END OF TODAY, not this time next week... ****ers..

Anyhow - TOP WORK!

there is MEANT to be a FAQ section for very useful stuff.. but hardly anything gets moved into it.. i still have about 2 threads related to removing your entire dash, replacing a heater core and everything else.. could maybe useful to somebody! is it in the FAQ section .. noooo /rant off

hmmm dunno....a few people have pmed me on this...i dont personally know anyone else that has done this....I am sure someone else has done it....or maybe im starting a trend:)

I spose i could do another set