SAU Community

Crashed My R32 Into The Gutter. Tyre Arm Area Is All Bent

cosmokram3r

Hey guys,

Long story short, didn't realize how wet it was last night, car kicked out going around 40-50km/h.

Now it seems the main problem is I got a chunk missing from the front bar, and the drivers side rear tyre is all bent, which I beleive when the car hit the gutter, the impact mustve hit the tyre first. Lucky the rear bar and guard and everything seems to be okay however I cant drive it since the rear tyre is bent and found out RACV wont tow it since its been in the accident, and that the only people who would tow it cost $254 for the first 8km which is just a ridiculous amount, so if I get it towed I wanna get it towed somewhere Monday (when its cheaper $190 for the first 8kms) and once and for all have them fix the Tyre since the front bar will have to be done at a panel shop. I cant afford to tow it one place for $250, then take it back home then tow it back etc. since this is the worst time of year I'm pretty broke!

I wanted to know what you guys think may be wrong with it if you had to judge by photos and roughly how much it would cost to have fixed.

I was gonna have it taken to DT Panels on Monday, but then again I don't know if they'll be able to help with the Tyre issue so I wanna fix the Tyre first so I can at least drive the damn thing.

Where do you guys suggest would be a good place to take it? It would need to be close to my area (Hampton Park/Dandenong) as the towing fee's are very high I wanna take it somewhere cheap but close.

If your gonna say negative shit dont bother, just looking for a bit of help.

Ive attached some photos:

20101218132506.jpg

20101218132510.jpg

20101218132536.jpg

20101218132542.jpg

20101218132525.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

First thing.

Give Jack a call from Citywide Towing.

Jack Citywide towing - 0419877437

He a member here and looks after us.

if anyone can tow it he can.

Else if it still rolls, get a mate with a towbar and hire a trailer from a servo and move it yourself.

much easier.

Gave him a call and left a message.

My mate said he was checking out my car and the guy who's house my car is in front of was complaining saying he spoke to the police and council and stuff. I hope nothing bad happens from this? I havent got a call or anything from the cops so hopefully they can sit tight until Monday.

I tried to knock on the guys door to explain but he wasnt home.

No offense but stuff him..

SO long as your car not illegally parked

and it got rego

not much they can do.

we had a car in front of our place with crash damage for 6 months..

the day after the rego expired it was GONE!

if your car legaly parked and has rego you are fine on that front.

Gave him a call and left a message.

Hey mate, sorry I missed your call, dozed off on the couch after a 14 hour day....

In this situation it is illegal for me to pick up the car, vic legislation states a car is to be removed from an accident scene via the Accident Towing system which is run by Vicroads. There is a phone number on the back of the rego sticker on your windscreen (131176) which handles this situation. Just make sure you're with the car when you call as the truck should be there within 20 minutes...

It is against the law for a tow truck who is not allocated by vicroads to pick up the car, usually a $2000+ fine if caught. It's not worth it for me....

Only other solution is to hire a trailer and do it yourself....

In regards to the damage of the car it looks like you'll need a rear lower control arm. Also it's hard to tell but is the front wheel on full lock or is it bent? If so you'll need a tie rod end (also known as steering arm).

Any mechanic should be able to replace these and get the car mobile again, although I'd highly recommend a wheel alignment aswell.

And the rest the panel beater can finish off....

Hope that helps....

No problems mate. Yeah a few places told me that on the phone today, having to go through Accident Towing they are such rip off's its not even funny! Probably cant go the trailer option because the drivers rear wheel wont roll.

The front tyre is all good, I turned the car on and turned the wheel and it was all turning perfectly.

What about the camber arm as well? Thats what someone else told me.

But yeah cool so I could take it anywhere, but then how long is it gonna take the source the parts is the question. Wheel alignment for sure.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated mate.

you know how that drivers rear wheel wont roll, I have seen at panel shops they use dollys under wheels that can't move, you should be fine then making it mobile - either moving it to the correct position on the road or pulling it up onto the trailer and getting it out of there... that's what i'd aim for.

gl

you know how that drivers rear wheel wont roll, I have seen at panel shops they use dollys under wheels that can't move, you should be fine then making it mobile - either moving it to the correct position on the road or pulling it up onto the trailer and getting it out of there... that's what i'd aim for.

gl

Sorry guys but could you explain what a dolly is and how I use it? lol

Yeah we used them when i worked as a panelbeater..... we call them 'go jacks'

Its got 4 castor wheels and you jack the car up roll them under the wheel and can roll the car anywhere you want

most panel shops would have a pair that you could maybe lend?

this is what they look like anyway, itll help explain easier

gojack.gif

Hey mate you can get the go jacks at autobarn they are like 100 bucks a pair or something! I did the same thing in my R31 skyline i replaced the control arm in the rear and the axel (as it was bent) and went fine! where abuts is your car i have a mate that does tows he said he can move it for you he won`t charge you to move it so he doesn`t get in trouble but you will have to donate him some cash lol let me know if you need a hand

by the looks of that picture your going to need Lower Control Arm, Traction Rod, Camber Arm, and def a wheel alignment. where you located i work for pedders moorabbin. also by the looks of that tyre its any wonder it slid out on you its bald as a badgers yeah you get it... :) front will prob need lower control arm and maybe up right arm depending on how hard you hit as to weather it has bent the chassis.

Edited by RDirty24door

Hey mate you can get the go jacks at autobarn they are like 100 bucks a pair or something! I did the same thing in my R31 skyline i replaced the control arm in the rear and the axel (as it was bent) and went fine! where abuts is your car i have a mate that does tows he said he can move it for you he won`t charge you to move it so he doesn`t get in trouble but you will have to donate him some cash lol let me know if you need a hand

Yeah that sounds good, I live in Hampton Park. I wanna have it moved tomorrow morning if possible could you ask him to ring me 0401015236. How much did it cost you to replace the control arm and axel?

Just saw this car on the side of the road. I would move it from there mate. Or further up on the grass

I would too but like I said these people want $254 for the first 8km's to move it, thats why I'll wait until tomorrow when all the workshops are open, I can ring around, find somewhere to tow it to and have it moved there. I'd move it further up on the grass but I cant do it when the tyre is bent!

Trying to figure out the best place to find the parts I need, but I wanna take it to a workshop first, have them look over it and tell me what I need to get!

find all the arms your self will be your cheapest option ring some local import wreckers and see what arms they have as you will pay at least $100 per arm just for a standard 2nd hand arm if you source the parts your self from forums from wrecks and people that have them left over from builds so fourth it will work out cheaper for you. then you will need to get it fitted and hope to god nothing is too bent and get an alignment done.

find all the arms your self will be your cheapest option ring some local import wreckers and see what arms they have as you will pay at least $100 per arm just for a standard 2nd hand arm if you source the parts your self from forums from wrecks and people that have them left over from builds so fourth it will work out cheaper for you. then you will need to get it fitted and hope to god nothing is too bent and get an alignment done.

Yeah that was the plan. What I'm doing is getting the car towed to HPF, then once its there get them to tell me what parts I need eg. control arm/camber arm etc. then I'll start calling around wreckers and checking on SAU for the parts. Only problem is if the parts for sale are from someone in NSW or QLD or something it will delay the car getting repaired but what can ya do. That way they can fix it up, get the car on the road again, then I'll take it to Vu @ DT Panels and get him to suss out if I need to fix anything else (hopefully not everything else looks okay from what I can see!)

Appreciating the helpful comments guys thanks :)

Okay just had the car towed to HPF. Damnit cost me $210, such bullshit they didnt tell me over the phone when I asked how much it will cost that when they say $190 for the first 8km's, they include their travel from the depot to my car, seriously WTF? So I'm thinking sweet HPF is less then 8ks its gonna cost me $190, which it ended up costing $210.

Good thing is the guy said they usually charge salvage fee's or something which he didnt charge so I guess that sort of evens it out a bit. Not a massive issue, just believe if a customer calls and asks for the price you tell them the WHOLE price ffs.

Alex at HPF is pretty good, they've fixed my car in the past where others haven't been able to figure out what the problem was! So I trust they will do a good job and tell me what I need to source.

My lower control arm is completely bent the tow guy told me, hopefully its not too much more I gotta buy.

Does anyone know if I can buy R32 GTR lower control arm/camber arm etc. Are they the same parts that will fit or do I need to get specific R32 GTST parts?

My poor baby :(

20101220101933.jpg

Edited by cosmokram3r