SAU Community

R33 Skyline Flood Damage / Break Down

robnismo

Hi guys,

Last week I drove my turbo charged 1996 R33 Skyline through shallow flood waters, then pulled over and the car died. I tried to start the car and it wouldnt start. RACQ said the fuel pump isnt working. Other advice I've had says it may be water damage and should start once it has dried out.

I had just installed a new turbo manifold the day before. The front mount intercooler was wet after going through the water. The car isnt turning over now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

omg! had the exact same prob last wk from that huge storm in bris. ended up snatch strapping my car home using 4wd.

my r33 had mass amountz of water in the intercooler, the spark plugs where also flooded with water.

i also did oil change & new filter as water was in the oil. ive checked for water in my fuel using my injector rail, as i ripped the back seat out & couldnt find drain plug.

so far plugs still have spark, no water in fuel but my car is still running bad..

so my advice is check ur plugs 1st, try not 2 start the car coz with the water & then the heat ul crack the ceramic case rnd the plugs & u dont want that shit in ur engine.

check ur oil & if u got water then ul have 2 fix that. i also had 2 take L/H light out & drain water from that.

if u solve the problem completely let me know how, coz mine still aint running 100%

• 2 weeks later...

omg! had the exact same prob last wk from that huge storm in bris. ended up snatch strapping my car home using 4wd.

my r33 had mass amountz of water in the intercooler, the spark plugs where also flooded with water.

i also did oil change & new filter as water was in the oil. ive checked for water in my fuel using my injector rail, as i ripped the back seat out & couldnt find drain plug.

so far plugs still have spark, no water in fuel but my car is still running bad..

so my advice is check ur plugs 1st, try not 2 start the car coz with the water & then the heat ul crack the ceramic case rnd the plugs & u dont want that shit in ur engine.

check ur oil & if u got water then ul have 2 fix that. i also had 2 take L/H light out & drain water from that.

if u solve the problem completely let me know how, coz mine still aint running 100%

Hello fellow Skyliners,

I just want to let you guys know the damage that water can do to the internals of an engine.

My work mate told me about his young son and his N14 Pulsar. He installed a pod style air filter to his car but decided to mount it really low in the engine bay to avoid heat and to pick up cool air, which make good sense..... until he decided to go to a party one night and took it paddock-bashing, through puddles of WATER...... the water managed to work it's way into the cylinders due to the low position of his air filter.... After that, the car started to run 'wonky'. As described by our science teacher back in high school, water is a liquid and unlike gasses, it can not be compressed. What happened was, when he tried to crank the engine over with water in the cylinders, as the piston tried to compress the water, it ended up BENDING the con-rods in his engine !

So if you are 100% sure there is no water left inside the engine and it's still running bad.....then there is a chance that you may have bent a con rod or three....or six..... or even worse....YOUR CRANK SHAFT ! Oh yes.... 'Its only water' you must be thinking..... You'd be surprised ..... So start praying.

Good luck.

Edited by RBEE

Flood affected cars?

Owners are being paid out by insurance. Thought of that?

Not everybody can afford (or want to pay for) full insurance for a modified high performance vehicle. Thought of that ?

Edited by RBEE

Water IN your intercooler or ON it? Unless your car was under a meter of water there shouldn't be water in there because it's all air tight, bar your pod/filter.

Computers/Scans/Onboard Diagnostics? Consult codes etc? See if the computer knows of any dead sensors first.

Check spark at each plug? Check inside each cylinder for fuel while cranking using no plugs/ignition? Do you hear the fuel pump prime itself when you first turn the ignition to 'ON'? You should also hear the fuel pump relay click when you turn the key to 'ON', then turn off a few seconds later.

Start from the start. This is just like any of the other 'my car won't start' threads in a sense, you'll have to go through the same diagnostics as them to find the problem, unless you find water somewhere that makes it obvious (like where your computer is).

Get/download/acquire a repair manual. The flow charts for the GT-R are really cool. If you can read English, and have access to basic tools and a multimeter ($20 cheapy is all you need) - you can fix/diagnose most electrical problems.

Not everybody can afford (or want to pay for) full insurance for a modified high performance vehicle. Thought of that ?

I'm sure there's logic in your quote - somewhere :woot:

However, there was no mention at all in the top 3 posts if insurance had been taken out - or not! Communication?

BTW, to answer your Q, I'd thought of that... hehe...

Welcome to SAU guys > hope you can resolve the issue at hand.