SAU Community

what would it take to get our RB26DETT Silvia in the 10's?

Hey Guys,

We are located in the U.S. and are building a 1998 240SX with RB26DETT.

We have a ton of work done to the car and motor, so I will attach a link instead of writing it all out for you to read.

http://www.underground-motorsports.com/abo...-projectcar.htm

My questions are: We are hoping to build a 10 sec. street car, and are wondering whether you'd recommend the single or twin turbo setup on the RB26DETT.

Right now we have are trying a prototype Turbo out of Australia that we are planning to run a TT setup with. It features a .7 a/r housing and we are told that they should be good for 400HP each. They are making 420 HP on a SR20DET with just one from what we've been told...

Please look over our stats and give us some suggestions. We'd appreciate all the help we can get.

Take care!

Chris

Underground Motorsports.com

I definately agree that traction is going to be our biggest problem.

We are running the Apexi N1 Type V Drag Coilovers and have Cusco adjustable control arms, tie rods, etc.

We are putting in a 10-point chromoly roll cage and are looking at having the chassis spot-welded.

I'm more worried right now with the motor and getting it setup. We've had many shops tell us that a 9 sec RB26 Silvia would be easily attainable.

However, I've never seen a 9 sec car that was easily built. Would anyone like to expand on HP numbers we would probably need to hit the 10 sec, 9 sec range?

Thanks for your info!

Just some things to consider, this is going on what others have posted here.

for starters, I believe the clutch will need upgrading, for heavy launches with the sort of power you are talking about twin plate may not quite be up to the task

I am not sure the R33 pump will be up to the fuel task.

Also, the RB25 gearbox is, AFAIK the same internally as the GTR box, so may not last - 3rd gear appears to the the problem

That cooler might be a bit small?

Didnt see a diff on your shopping list either?

RIPS has an R32 GTS-4 that does 10s on street tyres (if you can call them that:)) and the engine is putting down 440 odd kw, but from a 3L with RB head, so tons of torque.

Leewah has pulled 10s in his GTR, and it put down 495rwkw

Also, there are a couple of threads on here that discuss 10 sec cars, it may pay to do a search, as there is some good info on them.

I guess my question is what do you think it would take for the Silvia/240SX to get into the 10's? The skylines do have the AWD advantage, but at the same time, this is a fairly large difference in weight.

We have guys here running KA-T (stock 240SX US motor turbocharged) in the 10's, so I know that the RB26DETT motor shouldn't take too much power to make it into these times.

I know there are several other factors, but I'm trying to get an idea based on the Silvia platform.

Thanks!

Hi Chris, don't be fooled by the Silvia weight fallacy, with an RB engine, gearbox diff and other necessary drive train components they weigh very little less than an R32 GTST, around 30 kgs in fact. I think you will find it is very difficult to fit a twin turbo RB26 into a left hand drive Silivia, most I have seen run a big single. You won't have any problems achieving the necessary power target and it will be cheaper anyway.

So for a high 10 you will need around 300 rwkw, do a search on the forum for how to get that power out of an RB26. It is pretty easy. For a low 10 count on 400 rwkw, which is my limit for RB25 gearboxes. Plus the ratios start to become a problem as the RB26 power band gets pretty narrow.

Don’t underestimate the set up required on the suspension, particularly toe and camber change. Drag slicks are not really designed for IRS.

Hope that helps

sydney kid is right on the money a freind did a bit of research on this a t66 would be a good turbo for the setup you looking for. twins will be very hard to fit on a left hand car but not impossible.

suspension & tyres will be the key to getting the time ( money well spent)

some thing else to consider for reliable 1/4 mile times is an auto c4's have been adapted to fit rb motor. much softer on the drive train.

there is an sr powered s 14 in aus running deep into the nines with a auto

meggala

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to show you the latest photos and update on our car.

www.underground-motorsports.com

We are dropping the motor in next week. What kind of horsepower can we expect on stock turbo's running Apexi PowerFC, AVC-R, 600x300x100 Subzero Intercooler, 850cc injectors, everything else stock.

Basically what is the max boost you would want to run on stock turbos safely and what kind of KW, HP would you make?

Chris

Underground Motorsports

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to show you the latest photos and update on our car.  

www.underground-motorsports.com

We are dropping the motor in next week. What kind of horsepower can we expect on stock turbo's running Apexi PowerFC, AVC-R, 600x300x100 Subzero Intercooler, 850cc injectors, everything else stock.

Basically what is the max boost you would want to run on stock turbos safely and what kind of KW, HP would you make?

Chris

Underground Motorsports

Looks good Chris, 1 bar and 250 rwkw (400 bhp).

I notice that you intend to upgrade the pistons to JE's in Stage 2 but there is no mention of conrods. At the very least I would upgrade to ARP rod bolts and if there is budget a set of Carrillo conrods are the go. I would also use ARP head stud and main bearing stud kits at the same time.

Hope that helps

PS; Should make an interesting comparison to one of our RB31DET's which is going into a Florida based 240.

We are using Carrillo Rods, I need to update the page.

I'll look into the ARP products, we were planning to use some of the items listed in your list.

What customer is in Florida? Are you with Tilbrook Auto and Dyno? They were mentioning a RB30 motor being built for a customer here in the states.

Take care!

Chris

Underground

My S14a RB26DETT should be started and running next week. There are only little things left like inlet pipe work, thermos and catch tank left to build. After that plug the ECU in and tune it ;):)

basically its stock apart from a pair of Tomei cams and gears, Link ECU, Trust drag cooler, exhaust and about 1.2 bar boost through an electronic boost controller. I have been told to expect power to be limited by the injectors which is fine for now. Expecting to see about 270rwkw with a safety margin left in it. Once its up and running it wont be long before it hits the strip so i will be able to update you with exact figures once known.

Out of interest, is there anyone who thinks that the power figure and limit i have been told is unreasonable....... just curious to get some thought on the situation

As a comparison for our S14's, there is a S13 that runs a claimed 11.2 with 280rwkw in NZ. If this is true i dont think its going to take much engine to get an S14 into the 10's. Its obviously all in the chassis set up :):D

My S14a RB26DETT should be started and running next week. There are only little things left like inlet pipe work, thermos and catch tank left to build. After that plug the ECU in and tune it ;):)

basically its stock apart from a pair of Tomei cams and gears, Link ECU, Trust drag cooler, exhaust and about 1.2 bar boost through an electronic boost controller. I have been told to expect power to be limited by the injectors which is fine for now. Expecting to see about 270rwkw with a safety margin left in it. Once its up and running it wont be long before it hits the strip so i will be able to update you with exact figures once known.

Out of interest, is there anyone who thinks that the power figure and limit i have been told is unreasonable....... just curious to get some thought on the situation

As a comparison for our S14's, there is a S13 that runs a claimed 11.2 with 280rwkw in NZ. If this is true i dont think its going to take much engine to get an S14 into the 10's. Its obviously all in the chassis set up :):D

hehe we'll see about that! :jk:

hehe we'll see about that!  :jk:

Very cool, McKinney Motorsports, here in the United States, has done three RB26 240's. Two TT's and one running a big single setup. They make the motor mounts, tranny mounts, custome driveshaft, custom downpipe, etc. Their setup puts the motor where the stock motor sits. The shifter sits in its stock location and you wont have to shave the hood.

You should check out their stuff if you have time, we are running their products on our car, www.mckinneymotorsports.com

Let us know what you run in your car, I believe 11 sec 1/4 is about right. We have heard that there are several RB26 Silvia running in the 11 sec range stock in Japan.

Chris

Underground