SAU Community

Engine Problems, help please

XEQTOR

Whilst driving along F3 awhile ago I noticed whilst going up a slight hill I noticed the engine wouldnt make boost. No major loud noises or bangs, just literally became sluggish.

Managed to limp it home, car drove fine until boost started to come on, once the boost gauge was reading 0-1psi the needle started to jutter and lots of black smoke out the back of the car not to mention that it jerked like a dog!!!!

Figured I had done the turbo, seems as though its had 15psi through stocko turbo over last 12months. Got car on a hoist last weekend and changed turbo to a high flow (thanx mark MRK25T), found some shaft play in old turbo but otherwise was in good condition. Hence , not turbo related!! Bugger....

Anyhows, did compression test: Cylinder 1= 150psi

2= 155psi

3= 150psi

4= 155psi

5= 160psi

6= 160psi

All these figures appear to be ok to me, hence nothing internal damaged.

whilst doing the comp test noticed that ALL 6 Iridium plugs were fouled badly by black shyte!!They had been in the car for at least 7,000km, so they were old. Got some standard non iridium replacement plugs to test the car, car ran ok. Boost guage reads 15psi fine and stable but car is running like a maggot!!! I mean the 4cyl charade i been driving around in makes more power!! LOL

Now has major sucking or blowing sound under bonnet but at moment im deaf in one ear due to an ear cleaning accident gone horribly wrong so i cant hear this noise properly.

Anyone got any ideas????

Its due for a major service, so whilst the car is at Unique Autosports Im thinking of getting them to fix this elusive problem, but would prefer to have an idea of what it is in case i can do it myself???

Thanx guys....

Sounds potentially like a few things Brad - check for leaks especially around your intercooler piping.

Thankfully knowing that the compression test came up well it sounds like its not terminal - im sure the boys at UAS will be able to fix it pretty quickly.

I hope its something small, easy to fix, quick to fix an inexpensive Brad.

I've never had my car off the road except for when I added mods to the car. It took 1 week to get that turbo high flowed and it was horrible not having a car.

Nick's team at Unique should be able to help out.

Just an interesting thing that I heard last week, a friend at work was having problems with his 180. The workshop I take my car to found that there was a holden part a northern beaches workshop had used instead of the nissan part. The parts looked similar and it was only because the mechanic has worked on these type of cars for years that he knew the difference. The part was replaced and the owner has been as happy as larry ever since.

Unique work with Skylines all the time so your in good hands. Keep us in the loop.

I'm with Nick - Cooler piping has a leak. Black smoke indicates richness. ie Not enuff air getting in there.

Might be an exahust manifold leak - ie Gasket -

UAS should be able to diagnose and fix real quick.

Check all the pipes and tubes yourself

If compression OK don't worry - those readings look good too me.

Should be an easy fix Brad - You are lucky !

Ive checked all the piping and they all seem to be fine, no splits or cracks cracks. Its buggin the hell out of me!!!!!!!!!!! Cars been off road now for 5 weeks and its killing me driving this charade around, since when do you change back to 3rd on the F3???? LOL

Looks like i will have to bite the bullet and get it to UAS for diagnoses, fix, and a service.

Well, there goes the 3040 andthe likes! BUGGER!!!

Thanx anyways guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up car from UNIQUE AUTO SPORTS yesterday post major service and what not. EXTREMELY HAPPY with the service done on the car, its like a brand new car!!!!!!!! My 265's are not getting traction now! WOOOO HOOOO

TOTALLY RECOMMEND UNIQUE AUTO SPORTS FOR THIS!!!!!

Turns out the problem was a cracked 90o bend intercooler hose! The only bloody one i didnt check!!!!!!!

You'd think Blitz has some sort of special 'connection' with UAS eh... :flower:

Looks like the 3040 is still on the cards now eh...

Yep! Was a great call!!! Especially considering i checked and rechecked them bloody hoses!! Thanx to everyone to chipped in some advice!!!! Owell, least now I can start to look at a bigger turbo upgrade more seriously.

Hmmmmmmmm 3040 or 3530........... decisions decisions............