SAU Community

Tyre Size for 7 1/2 inch Rim

OK, a quick question.

I've currently got 225/50/16's on my stock 6.5 inch wide rim and they fit very nice.

I'm going up to 17 inch rims that are 7.5 inches wide.

Can I go 245/40/17's on the 7.5 inch wide rim? Or should I stick to 235/45/17's ??

I was thinking that from 6.5 to 7.5 is a 25.4mm wider rim, and from 225 to 245 is only 20mm wider..

Is that right?

J

I'm running 235/45ZR17 on 17x7.5s, and they look just right.

If you check the tyre specs, you should find that a 7.5" rim is the minimum width rim that a 235/45 x 17 tyre should be fitted to. (A 235/40x18 has a minimum rim width recommendation of 8" (9.5 max)).

I've just been on the phone getting prices on 235/45/17's

They range from $190 a tyre for the Hankooks to $336 for the Michelins Preceda's !!

BIG difference.. But everyone I rang seem to think the Hankook was as good as the Preceda's....

OH, and the price jump from 235/45/17 to 345/40/17 was about an extra 40% !! Not worth the extra 10mm...

J

jay dont u mean 245 hehe.

Guys im in the same postions as everyone else. I need new tyres, and now since im makin good power i need somethin sticky.

Now if i get a good quality tyre such as faulkken azenias or whatever they are called, how much benefit is there in running 255s over 235s?? does the benefits out weigh the extra costs?

Do'h - yep, 245 :)

It's a hard call... Go for the more expensive tyre that won't last as long but will stick like $hit to a blanket, or go the cheaper option and not be able to get 100% of your power down but they will last longer... That's where I'm stuck..

It looks like I'll end up going with the Hankook's, I've heard good things about them, and they are within my price range.

On your question about 235 v 255. You'd have to look at how much of a difference in price they are. Although 255 would look FAT :)

J

well i was tight last time i went for tyres and reluctantly chose cheapo bridgestone b530s.

Basically they arent good and they piss me off everytime i cant get decent power to the ground.

another time i got simex tyres and they stuck pretty well, and wer cheap at 160 each for 235/45/17.

ultimately, im a uni student and cant afford to spend heaps in tyres, and especially cos they end up being bald in 6 months.

is this abnormally short tyre life

Hehehe, depends on how you drive :)

The 901's I've got at the moment will probably due to ditch when they are around 18 months old. But 95% of the time I drive like a granny.....

If you give them a hard time, then 6 months would be about right.

J