SAU Community

Rear Lights Wont Turn Off

Girorostar

Hi everyone,

I seems to be having a weird problem. Since last night the rear lights wont turn off, i checked if i forgot to just turn off the light switch but that was off. I had to take off the battery to turn the lights off. Dunno what the problem could be, never had it before. I did a search on here couldnt find any answers.

The car is a '96 r33 gtst

Thanks in advance

This is for a Nissan Pathfinder/Terrano but it might be applicable to R33's (I am not going to contort myself to check on my car lol), but there are two plastic buttons or caps attached to the brake pedal metal arm or bracket next to the metal arm, I can't exactly remember. But sometimes those plastic buttons fall off or become worn out so you will have a constant brake light. Or it could be the brake light switch which is near where the plastic buttons are. Easy problem I think.

This is for a Nissan Pathfinder/Terrano but it might be applicable to R33's (I am not going to contort myself to check on my car lol), but there are two plastic buttons or caps attached to the brake pedal metal arm or bracket next to the metal arm, I can't exactly remember. But sometimes those plastic buttons fall off or become worn out so you will have a constant brake light. Or it could be the brake light switch which is near where the plastic buttons are. Easy problem I think.

Yea, when i went to check down there i noticed that plastic button on the carpet which was broken, it should be an easy fix but i dont know where i'm gonna get one of those small buttons. pinch.gif Maybe the local nissan dealer could have those buttons for the pathfinder, gonna check that out.

Thanks for your reply

The plastic button itself is a clip, so you could use a metal machine screw with a similar sized dome head, circumference and height wise, washer and nut, combined to make a relatively indestructible replacement. Ah but then the plastic button lasted more than a decade so there is probably no point in it (but a good idea nonetheless).

^As above

10mm bolt and nylock nut. Will outlast the car itselt.

Cost you nothing from bunnings or from dad's tool box.

Its the same problem with most Nissans of the generation - skylines, silvias, 180, cedric etc

Alright! I couldnt have think of a better way to solve this. I saw that there was another plastic button on the clutch peddle that didnt seem to be connected to any sensor, so i took that one off and put it on the brake peddle but that one lasted a day.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

The light stalk on the steering column probably needs cleaning..? See if you can disassemble the unit, inspect, and if needed, spray with an elec. cleaner spray (watch out for drips and overspray!). Also maybe there is a short somewhere.

• 3 years later...