SAU Community

Gearbox Screaming on deceleration

blx

The car i am looking to buy has one slight problem. When decelerating in 1st and 2nd gear, it makes a screaming noise. I have had a mechanical check on it and the inspector said it was a bearing in the gearbox. He went on to say change the oil to automatic oil and you will probably not notice it anymore.

I am not very keen on the whole changing oil thing and would rather get it fixed. Can anyone help me with what bearing it might be and costs involved.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers

:bond: - jsut had to use this!

gearbox is on its way out...i had this problem with the misses focus...will cost alot to fix as the gearbox must be removed...not worth buying the car as it will cost a bit to fix...look around for another car...there are plenty of good skylines for sale in qld

I was really hoping that was not an option! But then again i had a feeling it would be this way!

The car is exactly what i am after! Oh well.

The mechanic said it was a certain bearing and would only cost $400ish to fix? He mentioned that it was only used during 1st and 2nd gears, hence the noise only being in 1st and 2nd.

How much for a complete new gearbox installed?

Yea sounds like the gearbox could be on its way out. What kind of car is it doofus?? Its hard to comment on the car if we dont know what it is. If you are handy on the tools, a second hand replacement gearbox should be no more than $600. Factor this into the price the seller is asking and put in a reasonable offer taking the gearbox problem into account.

Has anyone actually had this happen to their skyline. The mechanic actually told me it was not a major drama and would only cost $400ish, to replace a single bearing.

Just from a mechanic saying one bearing, to others saying gearbox is fu*ked. on driving the car the gearbox feels very solid, no crunching etc...

In what way is the gearbox wrecked?

sorry mate, all i knew is that both times my car made that sound was cos i thrashed the shit out of it, and then it blew. Then i got it fixed and it eventually happened again, this time when i was driving more sensibly.

If u r really interested, tell the owner u will buy the car if he gets it fixed b4 hand, and then u will pay the asking price, otherwise tell him to knock of 1500 for a new gbox.

remember when you go to buy a car and something goes wrong, the seller always says something like "don't worry about that mate, that's easily fixed". if it were as simple as an oil change then it would have been done already prior to selling as it would ensure a sale...

if the car looks in good nick then the gearbox is probably the reson its being sold.

keep looking... and good luck...