SAU Community

Low Oil Lamp Flashed

itshimdazza

Guys ,

While driving home from work after 1/2 hour of driving i pulled up to the lights near my house and I caught a flash of red (oil lamp) for a split second (less than). I got home and checked the oil and noticed that the last 3 or so mm of the dipstick were wet and I wondered where has the oil gone as I havnt seen any smoke or oil leaks.....

I then checked the hoses and found that from the boost controller the thin rubber holes had spli and come off which connects to the intercooler pipe. There was residue of oil but it didnt look like much on the power steering bottle and side fender (inside engine bay). I have since cut the split part of the hose and cabled tied it back on (is it ok with a cable tie?) Now i have noticed that the boost gauge was slightly higher so woul this allow it to boost higher?

I only had crap mineral oil left at home for the old hyundai so i poured this in expecting to get some better synthetic oil at the end of the week. Is it ok to use this oil until friday when i can get it and flush the system out or not?

Cheers & thanks,

Darren

Well clearly you have done some danger to your manifold...

Aside from that, boost controller line doesnt have much to do with it. Its probably just increased boost a bit.

Not the best idea (depending on how much), but if you are lucky no major long term damage

The real damage is:

1. The fact you have no/low oil

2. You've put junk oil in there

Do NOT start the car with mineral oil. Drain it ASAP & Buy the correct oil for the car before doing anything further.

Workout how much Mineral you put in - and then see how much leftover comes out. I suspect not much.

Which will mean one of a few things.

1. Its last service, wasnt filled up correctly

2. You have a leak somewhere. If it's been 6-12 months since your last service then it's possible you've not really noticed oil levels dropping.

In future, you should check your oil once a fortnight or similar mate. Always good to know whats going on in that department

Nismoid,

Thanks for the reply, yes will get oil tommorow and flush (Thats a certainty) last oil & filter change was about 4 months & the oil pressure wasnt low when the lamp ficked on was just under the 4 mark. I normally put fully synth oil in but what do you recomend for the numbers? (ie 10-30 etc) I have always been sceptical re this as everyone seem to have their own minds on this (oh and I have searched this many times with the same responce)

I might try the Motul brand this time...

Regards,

Darren

Ps: why do you expect not so much oil will come out after a fluch ....thoughts?

Edited by itshimdazza

Check under the car to see if oil has been dripping when driving....if it has oil will be everywhere underneath near the exhaust etc.

Or as R31nismoid said, whoever did your last oil change forgot to add the extra 1 to 2 litres!

hopefully you havent done any damage to the bearings in the engine....last thing you want is a big end bearing to go!

• 9 months later...

back to this topic again please, i have no leaks and oil is at right lvl, but can this also mean like some thing else needs to be change like nrake fluid or brake pads or clutch fluid also. my old car this flashed when i had to change brake pads. also recently my catalytic converter had to be hollowed out because it was blocked and now i am waiting for replacement, can that cause light to come on for few secs.also? and it only flashes. need to know if it means other stuff.

Edited by BRUNSKIGTST