SAU Community

My Rota Grid Drift Delema !

fcukinky

I was after some Rota Grid Drifts and thought it would be a easy process, but I can not find anyone in Sydney (Surrounding suburbs) that have these in stock. I have talked to the guys at JDM Yard (http://www.jdmyard.com/) but they need to order it in.

My problem is that I am not sure if I want to get white or black and if I should go a 18" with 30 offset 8.5" front and rear or go up to a 9.5" on the rear. If I lived in QLD it would be easy because I could go into one of two places and see what they would look like on my car.

Car Details:

White R34 GTT 1998

My car is pretty much stock as I had to take it to EPA so my sports exhaust is now exactly 90db and I have a standard Airbox installed.

It has been lowered using King Springs by only 1.5" so its still sits legal.

Tyre Placard:

Tyres: 225/45/ R17 (Front) & 235/45 R17 (Rear)

Front & Rear 220 (32)

Extra details:

Eng Cert has the following: (Please note my car came with the ENG cert when I bought it)

Tyres 235/40 R18 (Front & Rear)

Wheels 18 x 8.5"

So the things I need some help with if anyone can help me out.

1. Is there anywhere in Sydney (Surrounding suburbs) that keep stock of the Rota Grid Drifts so I can go in and see exactly what I want. (Besides JDM Yard who need to order rims in)

2. From what I have read the 8.5" Rota Grid Drift will take a maximum of a 235 tyre will this be wide enough for rear tyres on a R34 ?

3. Should I fit a 9.5" rim and a 255 tyre and take my car in and get another ENG Cert ? (Will this even pass ?)

I am after the following:

18" White or Black Rota Grid Drifts

8.5" 30 Offset (Front & Rear)

or

8.5 (Front) & 9.5 (Rear) with 30 offset

If anyone on here can point me in the right direction or if you have these rims and are located in SYD can we meet up so I can see what they will look like on my car. I don't want to risk being pulled over and being defected because I am running a 9.5" on the back. Because My car is almost stock now they will not be able to defect me for anything else and they will pick on the rims as a last resort.

Thanks again.

Paul.

Edited by fcukinky

To answer question 2, an 8.5" rim WILL take a wider tyre than a 235 - I've got 245s on an 8" rim, so it will not be an issue.

Also, wheel and tyre changes shouldn't need an engineers' certificate, as long as you don't go too crazy. Just make sure you figure out the rolling diameters for the wheel/tyre combo so it doesn't throw your speedo reading out.

265's sat fairly flush on my 10's.

You'd have to get a pretty observant and pedantic cop to notice the 9.5's on the back, but I guess better safe than sorry.

Edited by Galois

Sweet, thanks for the link, Basically the GTT came with a 7.5" rim and u can go up a max of 26mm or 1 inch. So you can put a 8.5" rim on the back without any problems. To put a 9.5" rim on the rears you will need a eng cert and the maximum the RTA allows for a car weighing more that 1201KG is 51mm or 2 inches, the GTT weight 1400 ish so thats okay.

So I think I will get 9.5" rears and if there are any problems I will go get a eng cert for the 9.5" rim on the rears.

I have a eng cert for a 8.5" on the front because you are not allowed a front inch rim more than 8 inches so thats okay.

Check out Vision R. They are in perth but are the ONLY supplier directly with ROTA.

They are not the same website as www.rotaaustralia.com.au

They have tonnes of these in stock and good shipping.

I will check them out, I am looking at getting a set of black koya drift tek's, seems to be the only thing people keep in stock here in Sydney, just want to see the rims on the car before I buy them.. Pitty I could not find anywhere in SYD that stock them. I can get pairs sent down but it will end up costing over $200 extra.. I was looking and saw that that Taleb Tyre place has the Koya's in stock so I will touch base with them and see how I go..

Thanks again..

Paul.

TL;DR but off the top of my head I believe the rules are as follows...

Increase of wheel diameter is allowed unless it changes the diameter of the tyre

Increase of width is allowed up to 26mm

Increase of wheel track (distance between two wheels on the same axle) is allowed up to 25mm

It is my understanding that if you don't meet any of these requirements, you need to get it engineered. It has also been a while sinse I looked at these rules so I could be very wrong :laugh:

EDIT

It would seem someone posted a link to the RTA, which is probably more accurate than what I just posted lol

• 2 weeks later...

just stumbled across this topic...not sure if it helps..but....i got the rota grid and grid drift in my 34 gtt

front... grid - 8.5" with 235, 45, r18

rear... grid drift - 9.5" with 265, 35, r18....

sat pretty nice...had to get the guards rolled....just added 25mm spacers to front and rear, tyres now sit flush with guards...

hopefully that is of some help

ps...i called the joint in qld and they helped choosing sizes.