SAU Community

C34 Timing Belt

NYL83R

I need to change my timing belt, and about to buy a kit, but i want to make sure it is the correct one for my car. apparently there are 3 different belts??

my car is a 1999 WGNC34 Series 2 (RB25DET Neo) does anyone know how many teeth are on the belt? 141 teeth or 133 teeth?

Dayco Timing Belt Kit - PART No: KTBA173

Cheers,

Chris.

i just ordered this today

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120704897237&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1749wt_856

CHARGED said he ordered the same kit and it fitted up fine, the belt and pulleys are the same for all rb25's its the waterpump that varies and i think this waterpump is the slotted type (fits all models)

Just had the world's worst with the 25G.

Recommend you put in a full kit with both pulleys. Also replace water pump, get one for a VL commonhore. Also replace all the ancillary belts. It may cost a bit but can save you heaps.

thanks for the advice guys... the one you got Tom, sounds like the goods. Yeah i thought all the rb25 kits would be ok, just started second guessing it when i read the description of the one i was looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TIMING-BELT-KIT-NISSAN-LAUREL-SKYLINE-STAGEA-/140461661396?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b42adcd4

didn't even think about getting one from the US...and genuine too! it would be worth getting the kit with the water pump. i will send the guy a message and see if he has any more :)

For what it's worth I used the dayco kit that comes with both pulleys and its been all good for 20,000 so far, definitely do the idler and tensioner at least, water pump should be good for 200,000 but it's up to you for your piece of mind I didn't.

yeah, don't really need the water pump, but worth getting if only an extra $50 or so.....

I noticed in the dayco kit photo there is something sitting under one of the pulleys? not shown in the US ebay photo.... is it important ?

post-11630-0-96855000-1301884814_thumb.jpg

post-11630-0-52756700-1301884885_thumb.jpg

post-11630-0-37738700-1301884891_thumb.jpg

yeah not the black rubber rings... the thing one of the pulleys is sitting on... i think this could just be a generic stock photo.

Well i ended up ordering the kit from the US with the water pump. Not that i thought anything was wrong with the dayco kit. I just thought and extra $50 for a water pump and thermostat was a good deal, and with the car being 11 years old, it does not hurt to change them anyway :)

Good choice to get the water pump. Afterfitting the belt kit someone (not me) overtensioned the W/P fan belt which overloaded the bearing, which shagged itself and the shaft snapped. The fan uniy went for a free flight under the bonnet and went thru the radiator. All very expensive.

The "thing" in the photo you are reffering to, is the spring loaded tensioner unit that one of the pulleys is attached to the engine by. The other kit does have it, but it is shown inside the pulley, not seperate from it.

If it isnt supplied its no real issue any way as the spring unit is pretty indestructable, its the bearing that usually fails

(isnt it hugh? :laugh: )

• 2 weeks later...

quick update...

got my package from the US... prtty happy with it :) awesome value and all items were sealed in genuine packaging.

Fitting everything this weekend

Should i try and source any gaskets? or do I just use some sort of gasket goop?

post-11630-0-93636700-1303081561_thumb.jpg

FYI Guys,

I can get timing belt kits and water pumps for those interested.

All tensioners are NTN, seals are NOK and belts are gates (Japanease/American quality)

Our listings show that all the RB belts are the same, the tensioners vary from the 26 though.

Water pump is the same deal, can share from 20 to 25.

:thumbsup:

The "thing" in the photo you are reffering to, is the spring loaded tensioner unit that one of the pulleys is attached to the engine by. The other kit does have it, but it is shown inside the pulley, not seperate from it.

If it isnt supplied its no real issue any way as the spring unit is pretty indestructable, its the bearing that usually fails

(isnt it hugh? :laugh: )

Well yes and no I did the RS at 110k and there was no info like this around. We are talking 2006 Just did the belts. Have had no probs so far. Touch wood The 25g had the belt only replaced at 106k. The idler pulley failed at 153k. The water pump shaft broke the next day caus someone overtightened the fan belt.

Incidently as I said earlier, the VL water pump is the same as but is less expensive.