SAU Community

Insurance For Skylines?

Luthor666

Well shannons wouldn't insure me for a nur and when i tried to put it in my dads name they said he had to call. They also mentioned because of the car it is that it would be restricted only to him so i wouldn't be covered. But i looked in their policy disclosure statement and there is nothing saying they can do that.

Just cars has specifically mentioned in their pds that you must be on the policy to be covered so you don't really have a choice.

Yeah, when i went through shannons for my GTR the guy said that they are very reluctant to even offer insurance on GTRs for guys aged under 25...according to him, skylines have been costing shannons alot of money.

Also, I dont think putting it in your parents name is going to make a difference, because you will still need to put yourself down as the most frequent driver, and as a result the premium goes back up, I checked it out a few years back using the online quoting system.

dont know how you yong guys do it. i got my 96 r33 gtr v spec insured through shannons and it cost me $780/y and im not happy with that.with $500 excess.

you got a garage eric?

Nah you don't actually have to be on the policy to be covered with shannons. Page 7 of their pds says that an additional age excess applies when a driver under 25 who is not on the policy is using the vehicle.

So if its in your parents name and you have an accident in it your still covered. With just cars its different because they have a disclaimer which specifically states you must be on the policy.

Insurance is a *****!! Ive been with just car for around 2 and a half years... had my onevia, r33 gts-t and my wrx with them.. never had a problem with them as they were all under 1500 with a roughly est of 1500 excess... but recently i bought a r34 gt-t and they will only offer 3rd party because its got pearl paint??? so the only company that will insure me is shannons which is still around 1600 but with a 1500 excess... its so annoying!!! but at the end of the day, rather be safe then sorry right ?

I am currently with rac paying 140 pm and my exces is 1400 as I just found out cause my car got jacked and raped and left with a 16k damage bill they are questioning I no it's not a skyline but it is an 04 vz ss ute with mild work but still a little ridiculous and I'm 23 with a clean licence so I guess the main thing is that u make sure ur insurance has a record of paying out cause I'm having real trouble ATM

I am currently with rac paying 140 pm and my exces is 1400 as I just found out cause my car got jacked and raped and left with a 16k damage bill they are questioning I no it's not a skyline but it is an 04 vz ss ute with mild work but still a little ridiculous and I'm 23 with a clean licence so I guess the main thing is that u make sure ur insurance has a record of paying out cause I'm having real trouble ATM

sorry to hear bout the car,when did that happen and who are you with?

RAC is usually very good! although they wont insure imports....

It happened a couple of weeks ago woke up to a knife at my throat and a guy saying gimme ur keys phone and wallet awesome way to wake up at 530 in the morning yeah rac is starting to come good Lot of jumping up and down tho car has been in shop 2 weeks and still havnt heard anything so gunna be spending all day on the phone yet again just be careful with insurance tho lot of fine print biggest prob I'm having is cause car was due for 100 k service everything seems to be coming back as normal wear an tear even had 1 guy tell me it was pshcological that my car is driving f****d so yeah read the fine print

that farking sucks.rac eh? shoudv'e read your post better sorry.and everyone says,"you gotta have insurance,just in case.because then you're covered if the worst happens..."hope you're ok buddy.farkin cowards.

Yeah mate small good guess it pays being a bouncer and learning how to deal with these situations but yeah insurance is calling it normal wear and tear and age it sucks best I will get is panel and paint work done the guy who stole it has pretty much destroyed from crank back including clutch so if paint stuff gets done it will still leave me about 10k out of pocket for mechanical so just be careful and read the PDs

• 1 month later...

For just cars only people who will insure an 18 going on 19, 3-3.5k a year 326 a month 2400 excess best part? Took a corner too fast the other day hit some gravel over corrected and lost control o the baby and smacked into a parked car luckily it's insured for 23k parts alone are already up to 6k (minor front end damage).

So yeah insuring these bad girls is a bitch but owning them is heaven.

Should have my baby back on the road in 1-2 weeks.

That's comprehensive so I thought it was pretty decent for my age.

Edited by MACR34

you got a garage eric?

missed this one, always garaged and fully locked up. actually got 4 cars and house and contents with Shannons. They are brilliant with claims, got my old gtst smashed into in a carpark, they came to my work and assessed it, used my own panel beater with no problems as well. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

im only paying 700 a year for my n/a skyline with hbf .. but we have house and 2 other cars with them

and its n/a sad.gif but the cheaper insurance was kind of why we got an n/a skyline since at the time i didnt think i'd need any performance ...

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Thanks for all the replies! I also wanted to ask if wheels that were fitted on Ford Falcons would fit the 350GTs as well? In the area I'm at there aren't that many options for secondhand wheels and new ones here are way out of my budget. From what I've seen, most of the wheels that are available that were fitted on Ford Falcons have an offset of +33 to +36, with a centre bore of 70.5mm whereas the stock 350GT's ones are 66mm, can't seem to find any hubcentric rings that fit that difference though. 
    • 215/45/18 tyres are probably a little on the low side compared to the factory tyre, it should be closer to a 245/45/19, which will get you about an extra 11mm of height, and should make you speedo read a bit closer to reality. 245/45/19s will be a bit too far the other way and you risk a speeding ticket as your speedo might read slower than your actual speed.  245/40/19s would be correct if you are going to 19in rims, they will give you a similar total diameter to the 245/45/18 tyres.  
    • That's something I forgot to put in my list. The aggressive anti-squat in R32 is a f**king menace. I still need to decide if I'm going to drag the subframe out of my car and weld in the GKTech corrector kit. The main reason to dither is the need to switch to spherical joints in the lower arm to account for the twist induced in the rear pivot caused by lowering the front pivot. And yes...we do put better subframes in R32s, and I wish I'd gotten an S14 one instead of an A31 when I did the "take off and nuke it from orbit" HICAS delete all those years ago.
    • I have been looking at some setting on the alarms for the Q60 and what buttons do and so and also been looking for details on the alarm in my V37 which is a standard issue with the car. settings like window roll up and a few others seem to not work at all. i cant seem to find exact info on V37 alarms so Q60 is all i can really go off i have not tried 400Z alarm settings or info yet so that will be next. any one got like a sheet of info on the alarm system in the V37 as all my documents are in japanese but i thought the system would basically be like standard through similar models? 
    • I had a fuel smell coming from the drivers rear and pulled the tank out to inspect where it was coming from, turns out the breather hose from the tank to the filler neck was perished. I’m going to Japan next week and I’ll grab it while I’m there  pulled the oil tank apart and started cleaning this crap out of it, some brake cleaner and rags got it looking new again