SAU Community

water in tyres !!!

Edge

some kids vandalized my local service station air hose.

Punctured it with a bike sproket. Then filled the hose up with water.

Only realised when I got to my third tyre and water suddenly breached the hole in the pipe and I got wet!

How dangerous is a couple of table spoons of water in my tyres at 200kph?

I'm going to get the petrol station to get someone to take my tyres off and dry the interiors, but I have been told to come back at 8:00am in the morning to talk to the owner.

If they don't remove the water - should I sue them?

should I sue them?

yeh why not! lets turn out like the yanks and sue everyone for the hell of it. I think any reasonable person/business operator would be able to assist you. if not, and they are a franchise contact the the head office. Personally water in your tyres I wouldn't know, but I'd guess they'd eventually evaporate with heat, and as you loose pressure over time.

hmmm - if it evaporates out of the tyre that would be fine - I'm just worried about safety. I guess I'll check it after a half hour drive tomorrow morning and see what pressure it gets up to before I bother the service station.

Provided the tyres are in good nick internally, shouldn't cause any grief, unless more than a few tablespoons. Air compressors have water in them anyway and it's not uncommon for this to end up in the tyres if the compressor isn't drained frequently. When I was young (grabs pipe & slippers) draining water from the compressor was a daily chore in my menial job. Fitting & stripping tyres was another menial task. Not uncommon to find water in tyres, I saw it everyday.

If water gets to the steel belts THEN you're in trouble. They rust, and tread seperation is inevitable, but I've only seen this on retreads & recaps.

Hope that helps some...

ok drove it today and the pressure in two of the tyres that had the most water went up to 58psi! - started out at 43

The car did feel slippery just before I checked the pressures.

So I let the pressure back down to 43 - but this is hot pressure. The other two tyres were still 43.

I will check tomorrow morning when the tyres are cold.

HELP! During the drive this afternoon my ABS light came on!

It went off after a restart for a few minutes the first time

but now it comes on everytime! lights up as soon as the car moves 20cm after starting.

What do I need to do to fix it?

The ABS warning light coming on seems to affect how the auto gears change? Because the gears worked perfectly all morning! Kept me in low gears properly. However once the ABS light came on it seems to be in too high gear all the time again!

Background: using ltx-12 microtech + original series 2 auto computer. I drove 80km today.The first 50km went with the car working perfectly with the auto keeping in the correct low gear all morning - I just changed the oil to redline 10w40 synthetic last night and it is absolutely the best!

You can smell the unburnt fuel - my car is running very rich - particularly noticeable when the car is hot and I let it cool down the turbo for a minute before switching it off.

I'm going to change my radiator water tomorrow and put water wetter in it.

I get the feeling my car is running too hot despite the rich fuel as it feels a little rough when boosting real hard on the last 5 km stretch just before I get home, feels as if you can feel all the cylinders firing in a very big engine. I am going to get an exhaust cam adjustable wheel and get it retuned with a cam/timing belt change soon.

First though I need to get this ABS issue sorted as it seems to be stuffing up the auto.

I just had a thought - getting into auto diagnostics mode, maybe I have to be in normal autotrans mode and not in power mode to get into it? I will try to do it again tomorrow.

It is amazing just how hot the brakes and wheels get. They really feel like they are giant radiators, when you go to pump the tyres you don't want to touch the wheels because they are quite hot to touch. I noticed what looked like steam was coming off the tread surface of my front left tyre. It was a hot dry day and I can only surmise that at 58 psi and hot the rubber was vaporising, because as someone mentioned above - the steam can't get out through the rubber... can it? Pirelli PZero tyres.

Wreckedhead - The max rated pressure for these tyres is 59psi so it got dangerously close - particularly as I started out with 43psi - and handling became skittish and ABS have stuffed up - probably due to tyre size imbalance. You could see the tyres with water were bulging in the middle!

im not trying to have a go, but seriously, vaporising rubber, a bit of water in your tyres messing up your ABS?? It sounds a little strange. the ABS shouldnt really be affected. And how regularly do you do 200kph?

Did you see these vandals filling the air hose with water? Air compressor hose is generally pretty tuff, im thinking it would be hard to make a tiny hole that wont leak instantly, then put water in through that hole.

4 hours of freeway driving does make tyres very hot!

Well maybe the ABS sensors have become dirty then. Where are they how do I clean them?

Did I mention that it looked like the hole was made by running the pipe between a bicycle centre cog with the chain over it.

The tap was just above it, with a puddle of water under it.