SAU Community

Brink

So I bought this yesterday..

It's actually kinda complicated, I think it's going to take me a while to get used to..

Graphics are alright, and I like the character customisation.

I think this game is going to be much better once a couple of my friends get it, because the AI is god-damned retarded.

The second mission, you have to protect this guy.. so obvious answer, be a medic so you can revive him. However, for some reason I was THE ONLY medic on my whole team, which meant having to run 150m to the guy, revive him, get killed, repeat.

Anyways, your thoughts?

I've heard there's some pretty hefty bugs with ATi cards at the moment... And for $90USD on Steam, forget about it. We just paid $40USD "Australia" tax. It's like $38AUD on ozgameshop.

I'm gonna wait a bit till the bugs are ironed out then give it a go.

Yeah I've got an ATI card and performance isn't great if I'm honest.. but turn a couple things down and it's definately playable. I'm no bar to judge by though because I have a good graphics card choked by a shitty core 2 duo :domokun:

I bought it for $79 in EB Games :)

nice

i have been wondering when do i upgrade

i have 2 4850 1gb in crossfire with a Q6600 OC to 3.3ghz

i have been looking @ 6870 and get another one later when they're like $100 they're about $189 atm

haha ATi and shit drivers have been an issue for years. If it wasn't for their shit drivers they would be much more of a competitor to Nvidia.

Why do they have shit drivers? Brink is the first game I've encountered with issues, and that's the developers fault.

They are pretty much on par with nVidia in everything, and a little bit cheaper too in most cases.

dude their drivers have always sucked, you get one stable release then it's lottery for the next 4 or so until they get another stable one. Used to have a 4830 and run ATi in our workstations at work. If they got their shit together again I would switch back, but after spending hours f**king around with drivers just to get games to work and not CTD or hang the system, I probably won't.

I rented this, on PS3, thankfully for one night, with a $2.95 video ezy voucher. I want my $2.95 back.

-The bots are dumb and painful. They run around in groups until one guy hits the lot with a shotgun/grenade/molotov and takes out everyone including your medic/s.

-You have to do EVERYTHING yourself. No point being a medic when you need to blow something up, hack a computer etc. Spent 3/5ths of the mission time smashing through and guarding the safe (2nd mission?), only to go back to the command post, change characters and crack the damn thing myself.

-Character customization was win, yet fail to see the point when you don't look at yourself.

-"SMART" seemed cool, yet resulted in you jumping over things that you could run around more quickly.

-The entire campaign is unlocked from the start, what's the deal with the throw-away plot?

So I returned the game....

Edited by blk94r33

• 2 weeks later...

Brriiiiiink is a totally different animal on PS3/XBOX when compared to PC.

Play it on a mate's computer if you know anyone that has it and then tell us you don't like it.

It's a good clean, fast paced shooter which could almost be called a 360 degree shooter considering the amount of pathways around the place. You must be constantly watching your back/side/above and sometimes below or face peril.

no frame issues here with a 5870 on 2560x1440 but have turned the advanced shading and a few other "advanced" options off in an effort to keep it over 60fps.

Gripes with the game - all classes look the same except for a tiny icon that appears on your hud, and all these icons are the same colour, so you generally have to double take "oh was that a medic? oh.. nah, soldier. Soldiers can't revive. damn you! etc."

Getting onto a server can be a laggy experience (but less so than the p2p component) but playing against real people is night and day compared to the bots.

For anyone that finds the close quarter combat difficult, remember that melee and run 'n' slide are your bestest friends ever.