SAU Community

Is It Just Me Or Are All Used Car Yard Importers Dodgy?

Yeah, agreed. Notice how they never come with log books either. Pretty strange for such new cars from a country where everybody crosses their T's and dots their I's.

I got full Japanese service history etc with mine, i wouldnt expect it for 33's and earlier cos they are a little dated now but for V35 upwards or collector 34 GTR's etc

i probably wouldnt purchase one without.

most car yards that import these vehicles should have the auction sheet for inspection. It's when the car is resold or traded in, then it's a bit harder to trace it back

they dont always come from auction. mine was purchased from a dealer in japan, therefore no auction sheets

ALL cars that come out of Japan have dereg papers etc which MUST show genuine kms and all sorts of other details about the car. This is the BARE MINIMUM you should ask any dealer for. If they don't/can't provide this then definitely walk away.

A LOT of yards based in Sydney doctor the kms (a guy in Sydney comes in with his laptop and changes the km in 5 minutes for a fee of $100)- it is easy as hell to spot how old these cars are - and they STILL advertise V35s with 25,000km on them - they have a yards full of them - yet when I was shopping around the Japan auctions for V35s I almost never came across cars with such low km. they also hold heaps of spares and can 'make' you a premium in a few hours with leather seats (half or full, your choice), pop-up TV, premium wheels and Brembos, depending on how much you are willing to pay.

I ended up buying a V35 from a dealer in Sydney that is a bit more reputable than most, and despite the disk rotors being WAY more worn (and badly lipped) than a 48,000km car should have, the rest of the mechanical checks I had done were good, so I bought it. But not before knocking him down $6k plus free delivery to Adelaide off his original price!

ALL cars that come out of Japan have dereg papers etc which MUST show genuine kms and all sorts of other details about the car. This is the BARE MINIMUM you should ask any dealer for. If they don't/can't provide this then definitely walk away.

A LOT of yards based in Sydney doctor the kms (a guy in Sydney comes in with his laptop and changes the km in 5 minutes for a fee of $100)- it is easy as hell to spot how old these cars are - and they STILL advertise V35s with 25,000km on them - they have a yards full of them - yet when I was shopping around the Japan auctions for V35s I almost never came across cars with such low km. they also hold heaps of spares and can 'make' you a premium in a few hours with leather seats (half or full, your choice), pop-up TV, premium wheels and Brembos, depending on how much you are willing to pay.

I ended up buying a V35 from a dealer in Sydney that is a bit more reputable than most, and despite the disk rotors being WAY more worn (and badly lipped) than a 48,000km car should have, the rest of the mechanical checks I had done were good, so I bought it. But not before knocking him down $6k plus free delivery to Adelaide off his original price!

and thats why i bought a car with 88,000km on the clock, proved by photos directly from the dealer. car was a little rough, but wear and tear was as per the mileage

yeah dereg papers are required, but i said auction papers :)

Hi Andrew,

What are dereg papers? Do they come with the car when I bought it from the dealer?

Edited by VNS 24

I have what appears to be a service sticker from Japan under the hood of my car direct from nissan, it looks like it was serviced at 49,000 and it was then done again at 54,000 and from the dates there was 6 months between the service but there was no year markers just month and day (1st was*/9 then */3. i bought the car private with 76000 KM on it it im not sure what it was imported at but im prity sure it was low maybe in the 40s so go figure lol.

ill take a pic later and upload it, so if anyone can read Jap then can figure it out lol.

Edited by T4NK