SAU Community

Working Out At Home

SoFreshSoClean

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just have to make sure you use both hands guys, nothing worse then asymmetrical muscle definition.

I always do my left side first (I'm right handed)... that way if I get tired and lazy towards the end of a set I've worked out my weak side hardest

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a question.. How the hell do you guys do squats at home? I managed to lift a 30kg barbell over my head, but I found actually doing the squats fairly easy. Upping the weight just made it impossible to lift over my head. Any ideas?

hey mate,

i do all my workouts at home, have for about a year and a half. for a long time i did them by myself but have a mate spot with me now to help do forced reps on ex's..

for squats i ended up getting a squat rack that has a dip station on it... like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustable-Squat-Rack-Dip-Stand-/280710822526?pt=AU_Strength_Training&hash=item415bab3a7e

its also got spotter arms that are adjustable so you can do bench press/ squats etc as heavy as you want til failure and not have to worry.. considering you could spend $400-$500 a year gym membership i think its a good idea...

Can you do a couple chin ups? For Lats i wouldnt bother with the Lat pull down machine, I brought one like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AB-exerciser-Iron-Doorway-king-Gym-pull-Chin-Up-Bar-/280540836853?pt=AU_Strength_Training&hash=item41518973f5

for 25$ its a bargain, and when wide grip chin ups become too easy i brought a weights belt to hang weights on... works awesome

Between that stuff and plenty of free weights i feel i have everything i need! Free weights are better i think. And it also means i dont have to waste 15 min each way (of time and petrol, especially after work) driving to and from gym... Win, Win

Barbell bench and rack is all you really need.

Squats

front squats

overhead squats

good mornings

bench press

floor press

overhead press

military press

push press

full clean

power clean

snatch

jerks

deadlift

stiff leg deadlifts

bent rows

upright rows

curls

just a few off the top of my head

Can you do a couple chin ups? For Lats i wouldnt bother with the Lat pull down machine, I brought one like this http://www.ebay.com....=item41518973f5

for 25$ its a bargain, and when wide grip chin ups become too easy i brought a weights belt to hang weights on... works awesome

I was looking at getting something similar to that but I dunno, I don't really trust that on a door frame :/

I was looking at getting something similar to that but I dunno, I don't really trust that on a door frame :/

haha yer i can see how you could be suss about it, but i swear it works fine.. ive been using it for well over a year and the door hasnt fallen down and the chin up bar hasnt broken either..

ive done a max wide grip pull up with 32kg of weight on a belt from a dead hang, and ive done it lots of times with 20kg and its never given way... hasnt wrecked the door frame at all either..

although the grip have worn off so i just taped them back up..

it doesnt pull directly down either, it pushes sidesways into the door frame i think... hard to explain..

haha yer i can see how you could be suss about it, but i swear it works fine.. ive been using it for well over a year and the door hasnt fallen down and the chin up bar hasnt broken either..

ive done a max wide grip pull up with 32kg of weight on a belt from a dead hang, and ive done it lots of times with 20kg and its never given way... hasnt wrecked the door frame at all either..

although the grip have worn off so i just taped them back up..

it doesnt pull directly down either, it pushes sidesways into the door frame i think... hard to explain..

Yeah I would be a bit suss on that too!. Maybe I'm retarded but I don't understand how it mounts to the door?

EDIT: Hah, I figured it out :P Doesn't look too bad actually!

Edited by SoFreshSoClean

been hitting weights on/off for the last 5 years give or take. have never set foot in a gym.

started out with a basic dumbbell set, till i got some room and started getting more equipment.

my home setup consists of:

main weight bench where i do my flat/incline/decline presses

2nd weight bench where i do my skull crushers etc

a flat/incline/decline dumbbell bench where i do all my non standing dumbbell stuff

cable crossover machine - pricey. but the amount of areas you can target with this thing is endless not to mention killer chest flyes

squat stand/rack

hyper extension "complete home gym" machine which i mainly use for chest dips (side attachment) and cable tricep pulldowns

lat pulldown machine

and ofcourse, a treadmill

that's about it i think.

i know most of these are not really necessary but i don't like changing weight plates on bars/dumbbells/machines during training specially when im supersetting so i just use a different machine to move around quickly.

Yeah I would be a bit suss on that too!. Maybe I'm retarded but I don't understand how it mounts to the door?

EDIT: Hah, I figured it out :P Doesn't look too bad actually!

only complaint i do have about the actually is that the grips can tear and wear off...

but u can just use ankle tape or better idea, tennis racquet grip tape over the top of it...

R-spec sounds like an awesome set up... id love a cable crossover machine.. but no money for it..

do any of you guys have a good hamstring exercise that can be done with home equipment (barbells, dumbells, squat rack, thera bands etc)?

• 3 weeks later...

So after 3 months hard training I ended up with a net loss of 4kg.. not the ideal result when you're already skinny and trying to gain lol.

For that reason, I've changed things up a bit.

1. I've started eating a shitload more (5-6 meals a day).

2. For now I've sorta cut running out of the equation. I do a warmup jog but only 1-2km medium pace.

3. I've changed my workout, stopped being a bitch and started doing squats/deadlifts.. hopefully get some testosterone flowing

Now my workout is:

-3 sets 6 reps 50kg incline bench

-3 sets 6 reps 60kg dead lifts

-3 sets 6 reps 20kg dumbbell squats

-3 sets 6 reps 15kg dumbell flys

-3 sets 6 reps 12kg front raises

-3 sets 8 reps 8kg lateral raises

-3 sets 6 reps dumbbell bicep curls

-3 sets 8 reps.. 25kg dumbbell erm, incline bench row-things

-3 sets 8 reps diamond pushups (usually too rooted to do this)

Plus an ab workout at the end.

Probably need to incorporate dips/some sort of lats exercise in there soon though.

After this I am absolutely stuffed, but its definitely working. I've been able to increase weight by about 25% in 3 months :)

Edited by SoFreshSoClean

So after 3 months hard training I ended up with a net loss of 4kg.. not the ideal result when you're already skinny and trying to gain lol.

2. For now I've sorta cut running out of the equation. I do a warmup jog but only 1-2km medium pace.

3. I've changed my workout, stopped being a bitch and started doing squats/deadlifts.. hopefully get some testosterone flowing

Now my workout is:

Probably need to incorporate dips/some sort of lats exercise in there soon though.

After this I am absolutely stuffed, but its definitely working. I've been able to increase weight by about 25% in 3 months :)

how many times a week do u work out mate? and do u do that everytime you go or do u split it at all?

and be sure to eat up! lol

Those tower 200 door gyms look like a good thing. Does anyone on here use one?

I'd love a gym at home again. Had to sell my setup when I moved house. Really can't be f**ked going to a gym to work out. I did for a while, nut found better gains and more motivation when working out at home.

I think I may buy me a tower 200!

I just bought one, found it on gumtree, brand new for $75 lol (they go for $120 or so on ebay brand new).

It's definitely a GOOD investment, very happy with it.

Now my workout is:

To me all those exercises could be split over 2 days IMO, how long do your workouts go for? :) I would add some Reverse grip bent over barbell rows and some standing shoulder presses - these will build your shoulders better than front raises and will also work your back as you're stabilizing yourself.

What's your diet like and how many calories?

To me all those exercises could be split over 2 days IMO, how long do your workouts go for? :) I would add some Reverse grip bent over barbell rows and some standing shoulder presses - these will build your shoulders better than front raises and will also work your back as you're stabilizing yourself.

What's your diet like and how many calories?

Yeah I know what you're saying.. but 3 days a week fits into my schedule perfectly. I'm kinda time-limited as it is with full time uni + work. The whole workout is about 90 minutes, pretty long heh :)

I hate front raises, might give shoulder presses a shot!

My diet is basically:

Breakfast - Decent bowl of muesli + coffee

Morning tea - Up & Go drink + muesli bar

Lunch - 2 Ham & salad sandwiches or sometimes eggs & toast

Afternoon tea - Small yoghurt + a few biscuits of some kind

Late afternoon - protein shake with full cream milk

Dinner - some variety of chicken pasta or chicken/veg stir fry and rice

Dessert - piece of fruit + whatever else I feel like eating (not much)

I've put on 2kg again in about 3 weeks so it seems to be working :thumbsup: