SAU Community

Amp Advice

400HP

I'm removing my sub soon and selling it (if anyone is interested its a JL12W-04) and will be running my amp just to the front splits to get a bit of bass from there. Before anyone says anything yes I know that this will not be an equal replacement for the sub but I don't really play my sub loud and its taking up my boot space. I'm after just a small bit of bass and sound clarity. I don't play my music that loud.

Anyway my question is - I'm currently using a Fusion FP4-1000x:

http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/products/d....asp?prodID=350

It's a relatively powerful amp and I've been told I'll need a fair bit of power to get any bass out of the fronts. Should I keep this amp or should I upgrade it to a different amp? I'm asking $380 for this one... so assuming I sell it around there what is another good option?

Thanks in advance

the amps alright, the amount of bass u'll get from ur speakers depends on the speakers itself not much the amp.

the amp has basic crossover functions like most amps do.

u will get more bass out of ur front doors from sound deadening period!

chances are..ur splits can handle a lower frequency than what ur playing cos ur hearing it rattle.

sound deadening adds weight to all the panels and little bits etc. so when a component is heavier, its natural frequency decreases.

the lower u get this natural freq. the lower u can play until rattling occurs.

i'd say keep the amp, invest $100 pref $200 in sound deadening the front doors, and ur fronts will be much more bassier than u've heard them before. not sub bass, but improved midd bass. depending on what frequency ur splits play. most splits r 60hz etc. but ppl tune them to 80 or 100 with a sub.

subs start at 20 or 40hz (cant remember which is start of audible human hearing) so ur missing out on a little there.

nav - thanks. I am going to sound deaden the front doors definitely, I've had a chat to FHRX about this too. My splits are the JBL P62 with split kit.... they've got a 45hz - 22khz range so I'm guessing I would miss out on a bit of bass but I'm not too worried as long as it still sounds relatively complete. I'm not worried about loudness of bass either. Hopefully these will do?

yup theyre nice speakers! ur on the right track then

what i'd do is do the deadening first, properly, then see how the amp performs.

that way u dont waste any time / money selling buying a new one.

IMO the amp would be nice quality.

what channels are u going to use? bridging any 2 channels? overpowering those splits in a lovely deadened environment would be very loud/clear and bassy.

IMO the amp would be nice quality.

what channels are u going to use? bridging any 2 channels?

From my limited knowledge of amps yep its 4 channels so bridging 2 lots of channels to power the speakers. Sound deadening is a definite. I'll post my results when it happens :P